Rate this Topic

- - - - -

Teardown / Fm Radio

• Please log in to reply

OP frozenWinterIce

frozenWinterIce

Android Beginner

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:47 PM #1

Now I know, I've looked at the specs and there is no FM radio listed. This was also the case for the Nexus S as well, I believe.

Is this a common occurrence for Samsung phones to lack the FM radio chip? Now, I know some will come back with "How often do you actual use fm radio on your phone", and, well, not that often.

It's the rare cases like in the gym with the tv audio being broadcasted on FM or when you want to listen to a sports event.

Have there been any tear downs of the Galaxy Nexus as of yet? I can only hope it's hiding in there... (I know, grasping at clouds and such)

Although minor, this phone pretty much has all the features I'm looking for. I cannot wait for the verizon release!
  • 0 Likes

ERIFNOMI

ERIFNOMI

Supporting Member

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:41 PM #2

Haven't heard one way or the other. I'll trade FM for NFC.
  • 0 Likes
Come check out infinitroid.com

itsjusttim

itsjusttim

Average Android

• 9 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:29 PM #3

No FM. Sorry. Nfc is more useful than you think thought... just search YouTube and you will see some cool things you can do.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using RootzWiki
  • 0 Likes

rockingwing

rockingwing

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:00 AM #4

nfc is only useful in some countries atm. u can forget it in germany e. g. as there are almost no places where u can use it

Sent with my Galaxy Nexus running the AOKP milestone 1 by almighty RomanBB
  • 0 Likes
My Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus - 16 GB - GSM
ROMs: Android Open Kang Project - Milestone 3 // Skankwich CM9 Nightlies (always the latest)
Kernel: franco.Kernel nightly #17.2</p>
Governor: francoTurtle (350-1000MHz => amazing battery)
Root: yes / -

itsjusttim

itsjusttim

Average Android

• 9 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:44 PM #5

nfc is only useful in some countries atm. u can forget it in germany e. g. as there are almost no places where u can use it

Sent with my Galaxy Nexus running the AOKP milestone 1 by almighty RomanBB

Unfortunately yes. Until apple products support it, it won't really be wide spread. If you want to fool around with it try buying some tags and put them around your house and car. They are pretty useful and cheap.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using RootzWiki
  • 0 Likes

kendon

kendon

• 26 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:54 AM #6

http://www.ifixit.co...Teardown/7182/2

there's the teardown now, it says:

Samsung SWB-B42 BT 4.0 Dual Band Wlan FM Tx/Rx. Chipworks says the module is actually manufactured by Murata, and houses a Broadcom BCM4330 die inside.

not sure what that exactly means. personally i don't care too much for fm radio reception, but an fm transmitter app would be like, uber-awesome.

Edited by kendon, 15 January 2012 - 11:54 AM.

• 0 Likes

freerunner

freerunner

Android Beginner

• 2 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:44 AM #7

While paying via NFC isn't really possible in Germany, there are a lot of things you can do with it.

Back in the N1 days, I used to have a lot of automation done via Tasker. For example switching wifi, data, sync, etc. location-based.

Since I got my prime, all that is done - battery-friendly - via NFC. I ordered a bunch of NFC stickers from the UK and literally placed them everywhere I need to. At the door of my home, in my car, at the locker at work, and so on.

Wherever I pass, sliding my phone over these stickers now initiate the automation. Leaving home for example disables wifi and auto sync.

There are several apps available in the market. I'm currently using NFC Task Launcher. Works like a charm and the geek factor is very high, too ;)
  • 0 Likes

rollingscissors

rollingscissors

Average Android

• 1 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:47 PM #8

Samsung SWB-B42 BT 4.0 Dual Band Wlan FM Tx/Rx

That's the dual band wi fi transciever - a sophisticated form of FM. Hey, can you stream internet radio stations on wi-fi? Another solutionfor the gym would be streaming the audio on wi-fi using something like VLC or another app.
  • 0 Likes

shay d. life

shay d. life

Super User

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:27 AM #9

For radio I've been using TuneIn Radio for a long time. Helps me anyway because all of the radio stations I like aren't available in my area.
https://market.andro...S5wbGF5ZXIiXQ..
  • 0 Likes

Respect the admins, mods and other members of the site.

Please read the RULES before posting.

Have an issue? Report it. Don't be part of the problem.

kendon

kendon

• 26 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:51 AM #10

tunein is fine, there is one problem with the app and one with the concept: problem with the app is it keeps playing music when i unplug the headset. major annoyance, and so far the only music/streaming app that seems to do this. concept problem is with the data: adds to your data usage (not actually a problem for me, but for most people i reckon), and draws battery like crazy, where an fm radio uses very little battery...
  • 0 Likes