1. 0
  2. 0
  3. 0/5

Rate this Topic

- - - - -

Anybody Try Republic Wireless Yet? (The $20/mo Unlimited People)

• Please log in to reply

OP Jaxidian

Jaxidian

teh Jax

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:15 PM #1

Just curious but has anybody tried them yet? The one phone seems to be kinda crappy (320x480 and 600MHz cpu) but I'm asking as I'm interested in this for my mother-in-law and sister-in-law, neither of which really needs a smartphone but are looking to save money.

A smartphone acting as a feature phone is plenty good 'nuff.
  • 0 Likes

jasoncostello

jasoncostello

Average Android

Posted 23 December 2011 - 02:36 PM #2

Apparently the beta is closed. I just heard about them today. They use the sprint network, so take that for what it's worth. Everything is data to them so calls, texts, and everything go over wifi or 3g. You can enter in your email to get notified when they open up: http://republicwireless.com/join it's something to keep an eye on. i wonder if they would allow unlocked phones on the network?

***Update: I found this article that explains the republic wireless model pretty well http://androidandme....-better-devices ***

Edited by jasoncostello, 24 December 2011 - 07:28 AM.

• 0 Likes

Wilsonium

Wilsonium

Average Android

• 3 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:54 PM #3

I just got an invite into their beta program. The only phone they have right now is an LG Optimus running GB. However, there is a yet unannounced phone that's supposed to be top of the line... etc... but till then I'm holding my breath. The only drawback I can see is if you're using cellular network more than expected. While there it's an unlimited plan and uses Sprint's network, if you go above a set amount consistently they might ask you to choose another carrier. For me 90% of my use is when I'm near a WiFi hot spot so I should be good to go.

However, I'm still in denial about giving up my SGSII on TMO. If they offer the SGSII version for Sprint and allow NFC/Google Wallet then I'm golden.
  • 0 Likes

sgtguthrie

sgtguthrie

Android Master Jedi

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:18 PM #4

Try Red Pocket Mobile. It looks good and they don't care how you use your data at all! There's a hard 2gb limit on data, but most ppl won't hit that. With them you have to get the phone on your own though. They only sell sims and service. They use the at&t network. I think I'll go that route with a NEXUS once my vzw contract is up ;-)

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
  • 0 Likes