1. 0
  2. 0
  3. 0/5

Rate this Topic

- - - - -

Rooting help for Samsung Showcase (SCH-I500)

• Please log in to reply

OP lotaco87

lotaco87

Android Beginner

• 1 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:59 PM #1

Hi, I am new to the droid/ rooting world, I understand what rooting is and does, just do not understand everything involved with rooting. My carrier is Cellular South (now C-Spire) and my phone is a Samsung Showcase SCH-I500...... I would really appreciate it if someone would/ could help me out!!! Thanks to everyone in advance, Kyle
  • 0 Likes

DrMacinyasha

DrMacinyasha

Professional Stuff Breaker

Posted 16 October 2011 - 11:51 AM #2

This should walk you through rooting, including installing CyanogenMod if you so wish.
  • 1 Likes

Views expressed do not represent RootzWiki or Goo.im unless explicitly declared as such.
Rules, motherf*cker! Did you read them?

OldF@rt

OldF@rt

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:15 AM #3

Hello, I have a Samsung Galaxy S SCH I500 EI20 running 2.3.5 (Gingerbread?). I attempted to get root using SuperOneClick but kept hanging on "waiting for device". I further followed the steps listed at the unlockr.com which are;

Issue: It gets stuck on waiting for device…

Solutions: Try these solutions, starting with the first then retry, then the second and retry, and so on until it works.

1. Check to make sure USB debugging is checked on in Settings > Applications > Development.

2. Close the rooting program. Turn off your phone (keeping it still plugged in). Open the rooting program and click root. Then turn on your phone and see if it continues.

3. Close the program and unplug the phone. Download and install PDANet and follow it’s on screen directions to get it to install the drivers manually for your phone. Once it is done installing, plug the phone in and reopen the rooting program.

4. If that still doesn’t work, then go to our How To Setup ADB Procedure, finish it and return here to start over.

At the other forum I was told that the SuperOneClick doesn't work on 2.3.5 and that I should look here for a solution. In your Wiki I found this under the device listing for the Showcase:

Root

(Windows)
1) Download the Samsung Showcase drivers 64bit - HERE & 32bit - HERE
2) Install the drivers for your computer (XP/Vista/win7)
3) Download, unzip and install the SuperOneClickRoot 1.7 HERE
4) Run the SuperOneClickRoot program after enabling USB debugging mode on your Samsung Showcase which is plugged into your USB port.
5) Your Showcase is rooted now.

It seems that this is exactly what I was doing and to no avail. Can anyone shed some light on this.

Thanks, Dan
  • 0 Likes
"To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge
from almost all the miseries of life." W. Somerset Maugham ;)

daheazle

daheazle

Android Beginner

• 250 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:49 AM #4

To root stock gingerbread... use Odin to flash cwm. Download the superuser zip for arm devices from http://androidsu.com/superuser/ flash that zip in cwm. After you install su you will need to get a busybox installer from the market.
  • 0 Likes

/OfAllEvil

/OfAllEvil

Average Android

• 3 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:58 AM #5

This is a good place to start I also just got my galaxy showcase about a month ago.

Its a reference to just about everything for the Galaxy

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1609034

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
  • 0 Likes

OldF@rt

OldF@rt

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:21 PM #6

I keep looking for a step by step guide for rooting and also modding the SCH i500 and I always come up empty. I've downloaded what I think is everything I will need based on forays into different forums.

To root stock gingerbread... use Odin to flash cwm.

Is Clockwork Mod already a part of the stock Gingerbread 2.3.5?

My carrier, Cellcom, is regional (N.E. Wisconsin) Will the rooting/Mod software work in this case?

Samsung Galaxy S SCH I500 EI20 2.3.5

;) Cheers, Dan ;)

Edited by OldF@rt, 16 July 2012 - 12:21 PM.

• 0 Likes

OldF@rt

OldF@rt

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:37 PM #7

This Upgrade Is Only Valid For The Generic CDMA Samsung Showcase SCH-I500. It Is Incompatible With All Other Models.

How to I determine if my CDMA is generic or not?

Cheers, Dan
  • 0 Likes

showcasemodr

showcasemodr

Super User

• 378 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:56 PM #8

Here is an awesome guide to just about everything.

http://rootzwiki.com...-back-to-stock/

Step 6 gets you CWM installed and superuser (rooted).

If you want to flash ICS on your phone just flash it from your newly installed CWM (don't Odin any of the stock files i.e. EH09 in that guide Odin stock roms are different for the Showcase versions). Most ICS roms require Teamhacksung Build 2 to be flashed first and then you press the power button to reboot to recovery and flash other ICS roms and Gapps.

Just know that to flash Cyanogenmod or any ICS roms you will probably need a rom that is edited specifcally with your carrier's information (i.e. name, apns for mms, etc.).

I think Cellcom uses the generic showcase (as a lot of other regional carriers do). One thing you might try is look at your phone's model # Samsung Showcase SCH-I500RKBXAR is a generic showcase. (RKAXAR is the model of showcase that C Spire uses which is different than the generic).
If you go over to the mes/showcase thread you will see some roms for the showcase versus the roms you see over on the fascinate section. Maybe you could talk somebody into adding Cellcom to their edited roms.

One final note. Sorry for rambling but if you are trying to get back to stock after trying out an ICS rom it might be tricky (i wouldn't use the rom files in the guide above as most are for Verizon's Fascinate). If your phone is a generic cdma showcase then you could use the stock roms (in odin) that are posted over in the mes/showcase thread. If it is not a generic CDMA then you might have to round up the stock file to Odin.

Edited by showcasemodr, 16 July 2012 - 01:19 PM.

• 0 Likes

OldF@rt

OldF@rt

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:32 PM #9

So, if I follow section #6 http://rootzwiki.com...-back-to-stock/ I should be able to get rooted on my SCH-I500?

Cheers, Dan
  • 0 Likes

OldF@rt

OldF@rt

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:41 PM #10

I dl'd the files listed in #6 so once my battery is topped off I think I will see if I can root my phone.

:scared: Cheers, Dan :scared:
  • 0 Likes