- - - - -

{WIP} GUIDE: NVS_Map Creation *AKA How I fixed my wifi/MAC issues*

• Please log in to reply

OP blackadept

blackadept

Android Mechanic

• 203 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 03:37 PM #1

*disclaimer* This is a WIP, do it at your own risk. There is not much danger here, but I have seen some impressive feats of o-crap-iticity. So do this at your own risk, especially the advanced section coming later. I aint responable yo!

Basically: nvs_map.bin is what is used to set you MAC address, part of calibrating, as well as other parameters that I won't get into here (can check out the other posts as I make them if curious). So if your wifi is acting weird, keep having your MAC change, getting calibration errors, etc... check /pds/wifi/ and /system/etc/wifi/ for this bin file. If its not there than this is how you make it:

********FIRST MAKE SURE YOU CHECK ALL WIFI FOLDERS FOR THE FILE - NVS_MAP.BIN!!! THESE INLUDE: /system/etc/wifi ; /pds/wifi ; /data/misc/wifi . IF IT'S IN ONE OF THOSE FOLDERS THEN MOVE IT TO WHERE IT NEEDS TO GO MANUALLY OR CHANGE THE TERMINAL COMMANDS IN STEP 5 ACCORDINGLY. THEN CONTINUE TO STEP 6!************

1) Turn phone on

2) Make sure that Wifi is on

3) Start up terminal on your phone *NOT VIA ADB SHELL...DO IT IN THE PHONE* and enter[/CODE]:
dmesg

Going to get a long list of random strings/errors/etc. IF your brave read thru em, it is identifying what may be messing up in your phone lol. Up towards the top you'll see the stuff for tiwlan giving errors about no nvs, fw, etc.. now go back to the bottom of the terminal.

4) Now enter this series in (The part you enter is green. The rest is what you'll be answered with. Be careful and copy the right stuff and pay attention to the spaces!):

# wlan_cu -itiwlan0 -b
user_main, start
\> Driver/, Connection/, Management/, Show/, Privacy/, scAn/, roaminG/, qOs/, poWer/, eVents/, Bt coexsistance/, Report/, dEbug/, biT/, aboUt, Quit

/ w p 1 l 2 f 2
\> Driver/, Connection/, Management/, Show/, Privacy/, scAn/, roaminG/, qOs/, poWer/, eVents/, Bt coexsistance/, Report/, dEbug/, biT/, aboUt, Quit
.../poWer> set_Power_mode, set_powersave_powerLevel, set_deFault_powerlevel, set_doZe_mode_in_auto, traffic_Thresholds, eNable, Disable, set_dcO_itrim

/ t r h 0 7
.../biT> Bip/, Radio debug/
.../Radio debug> Get hdk version, cHannel tune, Tx debug/, rx Statistics/
Channel tune of channel 7 was performed OK

/ t b b 375 128 0
.../Bip> update Buffer calref point, Tx bip, Rx bip/
BufferCalReferencePoint was configured succesfully

/ t b t 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
.../Bip> update Buffer calref point, Tx bip, Rx bip/
Entering FillMACAddressToNVS
Mac[0]=##
Mac[1]=##
Mac[2]=##
Mac[3]=##
Mac[4]=##
Mac[5]=##
exiting FillMACAddressToNVS

/

q

Congrats skippy, you just made a basic general nvs_map.bin thats made by your phone FOR your phone. But you ain't done yet....

5) Now you gotta move it. You can do this with root explorer manually or again in terminal. Terminal commands would be:

# cp nvs_map.bin /pds/wifi
# mv nvs_map.bin /system/etc/wifi

*EDIT* For those getting errors with moving: make sure the system is read/write (rw) not read only (ro) and try again, or use root explorer. *EDIT*

6) In your " / " directory you'll find an init script named init.mapphone_cdma.rc . Inside there towards the bottom you'll find this strand if you open it:

service wlan_loader /system/bin/wlan_loader \
							-f /system/etc/wifi/fw_wlan1271.bin -i /system/etc/wifi/tiwlan.ini \
							-e /pds/wifi/nvs_map.bin
						   disabled
						   oneshot

You can try leaving it like that and manually execute it like any other script with rootexplorer/script manager/ whatever.... Or you can change it like I do to:

service wlan_loader /system/bin/wlan_loader \
						   -e /system/etc/wifi/nvs_map.bin \
						   -f /system/etc/wifi/fw_wl1271.bin \
						   -i /system/etc/wifi/tiwlan.ini
						   disabled
						   oneshot

Both may work or one of the two, depends on how cranky your phones being. Either way manually execute them via rootexplorer or scriptmanager. After you execute it you'll notice a whole crap load of folders got made in the directory....its fine, take a breath and leave them for now.

Whatever # I'm up to) Back in console type in the dmesg command.

Just scroll up and look for the stuff about the tiwlan just like before, except this time instead of errors it should say it found a nvs_map.bin and take off calibrating and downloading firmware etc, and of course .... your new MAC. Assuming all that went beuno, reboot.

If it didn't, then repeat steps 6+ with wifi turned off.

When you come back the extra folders may self delete or they may not, if they didn't erase all the stuff not used (i.e. the 770 folder etc). Now you should be good to go.

Again this is a work in progress, as I have time I will make a post explaining what those random numbers and letters you entered meant. Also, I will post other options to change the parameters in addition to any other updates on the project W-never-never-Lan .... or the other 234251 projects I have going.
  • 12 Likes

OP blackadept

blackadept

Android Mechanic

• 203 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 03:38 PM #2

*EDIT* Sorry folks, the speed hacks and turning it into N mode is still buggy ... so taking down the command strings until I find a fix. *EDIT*

Also as a side note: I have been asked this a lot. Yes, it is possible to change the MAC after you do all this by using a hex editor. However doing so recklessly can cause you to lose all your data completely! This is why I haven't posted how to. If you feel you must anyways, its rather easy ... but you do so on your own terms. Once I find the safest and most reliable way of doing this I will post it.

Edited by blackadept, 05 October 2011 - 12:38 AM.

• 1 Likes

OP blackadept

blackadept

Android Mechanic

• 203 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 03:38 PM #3

and part ummmm deux's deux?
  • 1 Likes

BMc08GT

BMc08GT

Android Guru

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:56 PM #4

Looking forward to this black. Got a good thing going here. Email me at bsmcansh17@gmail.com
  • 1 Likes
--TeamKang Member--

Appreciate what I do or like my work? Buy me a shot and I love you long time. <3

OP blackadept

blackadept

Android Mechanic

• 203 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 09:50 PM #5

Will do! Tbh, have too .... Mr popularity here never has an empty in box for pm's lmao. Do me a favor tho bud.... email me the file you were talking to me about so I can start thinking and not take 4 yrs again.....

As for W-never-never-lan..... Will start again tomorrow on this stuff, sorry folks ... I know I said I'd put up some of the other stuff tonight. Buuut adhd and I got sucked into the sbf splitting crap .... you'd tthink I'd learn .....

Sent from my DROIDX
  • 0 Likes

dAi

dAi

Android Apprentice

• 25 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 10:21 PM #6

Will this work on DROID 2

Can I just copy the whole command and paste it all the same time?

Sent from my DROIDX using RootzWiki Forums
  • 0 Likes
if you believe in Jesus, you live, if you believe not in Jesus, you died.

BMc08GT

BMc08GT

Android Guru

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:29 AM #7

Will do! Tbh, have too .... Mr popularity here never has an empty in box for pm's lmao. Do me a favor tho bud.... email me the file you were talking to me about so I can start thinking and not take 4 yrs again.....

As for W-never-never-lan..... Will start again tomorrow on this stuff, sorry folks ... I know I said I'd put up some of the other stuff tonight. Buuut adhd and I got sucked into the sbf splitting crap .... you'd tthink I'd learn .....

Sent from my DROIDX

What files you need black?
Also check yur pm's lol
  • 0 Likes
--TeamKang Member--

Appreciate what I do or like my work? Buy me a shot and I love you long time. <3

OP blackadept

blackadept

Android Mechanic

• 203 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:04 AM #8

Lol 1.9.5, err that is the one you wanted me to test and mess around with right? Sorry days and nights been kinda running together lately, making me extra "special".

Sent from my DROIDX
  • 0 Likes

OP blackadept

blackadept

Android Mechanic

• 203 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:06 AM #9

O and as far as the Droid 2, depends on the hardware and software. I'd think it would, or atleast he similar. But again, depends on what your wireless is on the Droid 2. I'll try and look up the specs later and let you know.

Sent from my DROIDX
  • 0 Likes

BMc08GT

BMc08GT

Android Guru

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:09 AM #10

Lol 1.9.5, err that is the one you wanted me to test and mess around with right? Sorry days and nights been kinda running together lately, making me extra "special".

Sent from my DROIDX

Lol 1.9.5 I'm still debugging. Ill send out the beta test once it actually runs
  • 0 Likes
--TeamKang Member--