1 votes

[Guide] ROOT or UNROOT your Droid X

• Please log in to reply

OP razorloves

razorloves

Android Nut

Posted 24 September 2011 - 10:27 PM #1

EDIT: TO ROOT 4.5.621 (SEE HERE)

In this guide I will go over how to root your Droid X regardless of what rom you have on your phone (.340, .596, .602, .605, etc...) or what operating system you're using on your computer. I will also go over how to unroot your phone (Windows only).

Windows Versions

This one click method will root or unroot your phone that has a froyo or gingerbread rom. It must be run on your computer and should work on any version of Windows. Again, this method is for Windows ONLY..

1. If you don't already have them installed, download and install the motorola usb drivers HERE
2. Download Pete's Motorola Root Tool HERE. It's a zip file so you will have to extract it to a folder.
3. On your phone, go to Settings-Applications-Development, and check the box for "USB debugging".
4. Connect your phone to your computer with usb cable and choose the "Charge Only" mode.
5. Navigate to the "Pete's Motorola Root Tool.exe" file that you downloaded and extract earlier, and double click on it to open the one click root tool.
6. Press the button to root or unroot your phone and follow the onscreen instructions. Your phone will automatically reboot a few times during the procedure and then it will be done.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have trouble with the above method, try this one.
This one click method will root your phone that has a froyo or gingerbread rom. It must be run on your computer and should work on any version of Windows. Again, this is for Windows ONLY.

1. If you don't already have them installed, download and install the motorola usb drivers HERE
2. Download the Droid 3 Easy Root Script HERE. It's a zip file so you will have to extract it to a folder. (Dont worry about it saying Droid 3. It works on all Moto phones.)
3. Your phone needs to have USB debugging enabled. So, go to Settings-Applications-Development, and check the box for "USB debugging".
4. Connect your phone to your computer with usb cable and choose the "Charge Only" mode.
5. Navigate to the Droid 3 Easy Root Script folder that you downloaded and extract earlier, and double click on the "Click to root your DROID 3.bat" file to open the one click root tool.
6. Follow the onscreen instruction. Your phone will automatically reboot a few times during the procedure and then it will be done.

Linux and MacOS Versions

This one click method will root your phone that has a froyo or gingerbread rom. It must be run on your computer and should work on any Linux distro or MacOS.

1. Download the Droid Easy Root v7d.zip file from HERE. It's a zip file so you will have to extract it to a folder.
2. Your phone needs to have USB debugging enabled. So, go to Settings-Applications-Development, and check the box for "USB debugging".
3. Connect your phone to your computer with usb cable and choose the "Charge Only" mode.
4. Open terminal on your computer and change the path to the folder you extracted in step #1, then execute the "run_to_root_your_droid3.sh" script to open the one click root tool.
5. Follow the onscreen instruction. Your phone will automatically reboot a few times during the procedure and then it will be done.

More info on all the root procedures mentioned above, can be found HERE

Phone Version

This one click method will root your phone that has a froyo rom. It's an android app and must be run on your phone. Again, this method is for froyo ONLY.

1. Your phone needs to have USB debugging enabled. So, go to Settings-Applications-Development, and check the box for "USB debugging".
2. Download the Z4Root apk file HERE
3. Save the Z4Root apk file to the mem card in your phone. Then use the file explorer on your phone and navigate to where you saved it and click on it to install it.
4. In your app drawer you will now see the Z4Root app. Open it and click on the Permanent Root button. It will reboot automatically after about 30 seconds to a minute, and then you're done.
5. If your phone doesn't reboot automatically and z4root is just sitting there seeming to do nothing, then just reboot your phone and repeat step #4.

CREDITS:
HUGE thanks to Dan Rosenberg (djrbliss) for discovering the vulnerability to root Moto gingerbread roms. Original thread HERE
Big thanks to Framework43 and Psouza and zdooder for making the gingerbread root tools. Original threads HERE and HERE
Many thanks to RyanZA for the Z4Root app. Original thread HERE
  • 6 Likes

OP razorloves

razorloves

Android Nut

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:56 PM #2

Troubleshooting

If you're having problems, you can try any of the following.

If the root process hangs at "Waiting for reboot", then unplug the usb cable and manually reboot the phone, then reconnect usb cable. The root tool will pickup where it left off.

Reboot your computer and try again.

Make sure you have USB debugging turned on.

Instead of "Charge Only" mode, you can try switching it to "PC mode". If that doesn't work, switch back and forth between them a few times.

If you have pdanet or easytether installed on your computer, they may interfere with this root procedure, so temporarily uninstall it. If on a Mac, you may have to remove the easytether drivers manually by doing the following. (thanks to servax for this tip)
1) Start Terminal
2) Run: sudo kextunload -m com.mobile-stream.driver.EasyTetherUSBEthernet
3) Run: sudo rm -fr /System/Library/Extensions/EasyTetherUSBEthernet.kext (Be careful with this one, be sure to type it exactly)
4) Remove 'EasyTether' from Network Preferences.
5) Reboot.

Edited by razorloves, 06 October 2011 - 04:33 AM.

• 1 Likes

JAStorm

JAStorm

Android Beginner

• 3 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:22 AM #3

I'm rooted now, can't believe it was that easy.
  • 0 Likes

bhavlo

bhavlo

Android Beginner

• 20 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:03 AM #4

When I tried this on my Droid X running OTA GB 605, it got to "Rebooting your phone..." and just hung there. It did the exact same thing when I tried MotorolaOneClickRoot am I doing something wrong?
  • 0 Likes

OP razorloves

razorloves

Android Nut

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:47 AM #5

When I tried this on my Droid X running OTA GB 605, it got to "Rebooting your phone..." and just hung there. It did the exact same thing when I tried MotorolaOneClickRoot am I doing something wrong?

what state is your phone in when it says that? is it bootlooping or frozen on your home screen or what?
Sometimes you need to reboot your phone manually. Just unplug the usb cable and reboot it, then plug back in and the root tool will pickup where is left off.

Edited by razorloves, 30 September 2011 - 08:07 PM.

• 0 Likes

catrider64

catrider64

Android Beginner

• 1 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 06:19 AM #6

Will this work on the Droud x 2?
  • 0 Likes

OP razorloves

razorloves

Android Nut

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:08 AM #7

Will this work on the Droud x 2?

Yes. See the droid x2 thread here...
http://rootzwiki.com...te-Clockworkmod
  • 0 Likes

idol

idol

Average Android

• 66 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 03:32 AM #8

I can't figure this out. For some reason on the first reboot it reboots into recovery instead of the phone booting up. Therefore it does not do the correct thing to root my phone. Can anyone help?
  • 0 Likes

OP razorloves

razorloves

Android Nut

Posted 06 October 2011 - 04:32 AM #9

I can't figure this out. For some reason on the first reboot it reboots into recovery instead of the phone booting up. Therefore it does not do the correct thing to root my phone. Can anyone help?

Just do the first thing mentioned in the troubleshooting section in post #2
  • 0 Likes

Barney Stinson

Barney Stinson

• 42 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 10:29 PM #10

troubleshooting did not address my issue. I used the linux bash script as described above. I had SBF'd .602 on my way to flashing cm4dx_gb.

big problem
  • SuperUser throws a force close on every boot.

popup: 'sorry!' The application Superuser (..) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. [Force close]

• SuperUser cannot be manually started: there is an icon in the app list/tray. It crashes. Therefore I cannot use any root software. Root software complains about not acquiring root (droidwall, lbe, root explorer, titanium backup)
I am working my way through http://www.psouza4.c...id3/#macoslinux : Droid X notes

Help, I'm lost on the SU problem as well as the D2 bootstrapping failure which *might* be contingent on this SU issue, but I am not well enough versed to say one way or the other.
  • 0 Likes
maintaining awesomeness: privacy protected by any means necessary