1. 0
  2. 0
  3. 0/5

Rate this Topic

- - - - -

Important, CRITICAL update for the WebOS Root Certificate! A must do before 7/23/13!

• Please log in to reply

OP nevertells

nevertells

Android Guru

• 4,678 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:39 PM #1

You may or may not be aware that eventually HP will be shutting down it's servers that take care of TouchPad activation, application downloads and device backup and restore. Well here is a new wrinkle, the TouchPad root certificate is due to expire on July 23, 2013. The first link below is what to do about that. The second is what to do to be prepared for when the HP servers are taken off line. OK, so you say, well I don't use WebOS, so why do I care. I would suggest you go read the links and then decide for yourself if you need to do what they suggest. WebOS is still the primary OS on the TouchPad and not being able to recover from a catastrophic failure may hinder you from installing or reinstalling Android. You might want to pass this along around all the forums and threads you frequent. July 23rd is not that far off. And I've seen one post somewhere that the closing of HP's support servers is in the works.

If you find any more information about either of these subjects, please post the info and links here.

http://m.webosnation...-cloud-services

http://m.webosnation...s-doomsday-come

Edited by nevertells, 21 July 2013 - 12:37 PM.

• 3 Likes

bumble

bumble

Average Android

• 3 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:27 AM #2

I just tried to update the WebOS root certiicate with the HP app catalog update that was realeased on 6/6/13 and it failed ( Based on information in Nevertells first link). There was no other error messages except install failed. I am running Web OS 3.05 ( which I believe is the most current Web OS operating system) and HP App Catalog verision 5.0.3500. Any suggestions on how to correct this?

Update 10:30 DST 6/17/13:

After doing some multple searches for info, I found this link on the XDA forum:

http://forum.xda-dev....php?p=42317455

Following the info in the link I installed Internalz Pro from Preware and checked the date on the cetificate in webOS and it has a date of April 27, 2037. I did not check theis date prior to trying to do the app catalog update, so at this point I am assuming (yes I know what that really means) the root certificate updated even though the app catalog update failed

Edited by bumble, 17 June 2013 - 06:30 AM.

• 0 Likes

RolandDeschain79

RolandDeschain79

Android Adventurer

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:44 AM #3

You may or may not be aware that eventually HP will be shutting down it's servers that take care of TouchPad activation, application downloads and device backup and restore. Well here is a new wrinkle, the TouchPad root certificate is due to expire on July 23, 2013. The first link below is what to do about that. The second is what to do to be prepared for when the HP servers are taken off line. OK, so you say, well I don't use WebOS, so why do I care. I would suggest you go read the links and then decide for yourself if you need to do what they suggest. WebOS is still the primary OS on the TouchPad and not being able to recover from a catastrophic failure may hinder you from installing or reinstalling Android. You might want to pass this along around all the forums and threads you frequent. July 23rd is not that far off. And I've seen one post somewhere that the closing of HP's support servers is in the works.

If you find any more information about either of these subjects, please post the info and links here.

http://m.webosnation...-cloud-services

http://m.webosnation...s-doomsday-come

Thank you for bringing this to our attention NT. This looks like a very important topic, I will read up on the problem and make a video about it.

Edited by RolandDeschain79, 17 June 2013 - 07:45 AM.

• 2 Likes

RolandDeschain79

RolandDeschain79

Android Adventurer

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:21 PM #4

I made a short video about it and included all the links

HP TouchPad Root Certificate fix for WebOS cloud services(Important)

Spoiler

Attached Thumbnails

• certificate_2013-19-06_112221.png

Edited by RolandDeschain79, 27 September 2013 - 09:48 AM.

• 3 Likes

xcd

xcd

• 34 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:42 PM #5

So what happens if I don't bother to do this because my touchpad is running WebOS 3.0 and I don't even have a WebOS account anymore and haven't even set it up on the touchpad, it just boots to the setup wizard.
  • 0 Likes

OP nevertells

nevertells

Android Guru

• 4,678 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:47 PM #6

I made a short video about it and included all the links

http://youtu.be/L63RiBXhQCY

Spoiler

Nice job! ;)
  • 1 Likes

JohnA2u

JohnA2u

Android Lover

• 124 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:45 PM #7

Just ran the ap catalog update. Installed and launched without a hitch. Thanks Nevertells for this important information. Great video as always Roland. This will save everyone from a lot of wtf!'s come August.

Edited by JohnA2u, 26 November 2013 - 10:47 PM.

• 1 Likes

OP nevertells

nevertells

Android Guru

• 4,678 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:19 PM #8

Just ran the ap catalog update. Installed and launched without a hitch. Thanks Nevertells for this important information. Great video as always Roland. This will save everyone from a lot of wtf!'s come August.

August? How about after July 23rd?
  • 0 Likes

JohnA2u

JohnA2u

Android Lover

• 124 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:52 PM #9

I figured it would take a while for some people to notice.
  • 1 Likes

RolandDeschain79

RolandDeschain79

Android Adventurer

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:09 AM #10

I've updated my info and added a new section of additional WebOS performance tweaks. If anyone has additional suggestions for the list please post a comment about it, have fun ;)

Spoiler

Attached Thumbnails

• certificate_2013-19-06_112221.png

Edited by RolandDeschain79, 27 September 2013 - 09:48 AM.

• 2 Likes