1. 0
  2. 0
  3. 0/5

Rate this Topic

1 votes

How to: Sell Verizon Contract and Keep your Number.

• Please log in to reply

tavenger5

tavenger5

Average Android

• 1 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 03:35 PM #161

I just ported my Verizon number to AT&T today and got a new number on my Verizon plan. The first time I waited to long and my Verizon account locked (said I had a pending order). Then I was on the phone with Verizon for about an hour trying to figure out why I couldn't change my number. They told me there was no way to port my number AND keep unlimited data - that I would have to keep that number with Verizon. NOT TRUE.

The key is to change the number right after your new provider confirms that the port was authorized. This way Verizon doesn't have a chance to lock your account. 

FYI, this page has some insight on the exact steps taken, screen shots included: http://verizonforums...-number.363163/

Edited by tavenger5, 17 October 2014 - 03:36 PM.

• 0 Likes

rebretz000

rebretz000

Super User

• 400 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 11:14 AM #162

I just ported my numbers to my AT&T account and generated new numbers. Except I didn't call AT&T, I went to the AT&T store to do this. When I was in there yesterday setting up my new account I talked to the AT&T rep about porting numbers later and explained why. And I said about needing to be by a computer to do it. They let me use their computers in the store to log into my Verizon account to generate the new numbers. I waited 3 minutes after the AT&T rep confirmed the port. All went smoothly.

• 0 Likes

rebretz000

rebretz000

Super User

• 400 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 04:51 AM #163

Verizon no longer allows Assumption Of Liability on Unlimited Data Lines.

• 0 Likes

hanesworthy

hanesworthy

Average Android

• 1 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:15 AM #164

I registered just to contribute my first hand experience with porting a Verizon number out in order to keep the number while selling the UDP.

First, with regards to the above post abut VZ no longer allowing AOL on UDP, that is only partially true.  They closed off AOLs to private individuals, but it is still possible to sell & do an AOL to a business.

Regarding the logistics of porting your number to GV and changing your number on Verizon, I also just completed that successfully using the method described in this thread.  The main uncertainty I had was the lack of agreement on EXACTLY WHEN you should request the number change on VZ after initiating the port on GV.  I saw some posts that said wait until after 22 hours, and some that said you need only wait until after you receive the GV email confirming that the port had been initiated.

What worked for me was in between: I submitted the number change with VZ about 20 hours after receiving the GV email confirming that the port was in process.  I immediately received confirmation from VZ that my number had been changed, and instructions on how to reboot my phone a couple times to activate the new number.  That worked fine, although from that point on any calls to my old VZ number received a recording saying the number had been changed or disconnected.  During this time my old number was unable to receive calls or texts.  I used this time to update GV with my new VZ assigned number, and set call forwarding to that new number so that when the port was completed there was a new call forwarding number.

At 24 hours *to the minute* after the port has been initiated, the GV website (and subsequent email) confirmed that the port was completed successfully!  Test calls to my old ported number forwarded via GV to my new VZ number without incident, although texts are still in limbo an hour later, as others indicated to be expected.

I can now complete the AOL on the UDP, and if I wish, add a new line at VZ and port my long time number back.  I'll update later to confirm how that process works, and when texts resume.

Thanks to those who have shared this information earlier, or I would have assumed I had to lose my longtime number in order to sell my UDP.

• 0 Likes

lfootballusasDEF

lfootballusasDEF

Average Android

Posted 27 July 2015 - 10:19 PM #165

I registered just to contribute my first hand experience with porting a Verizon number out in order to keep the number while selling the UDP.

First, with regards to the above post abut VZ no longer allowing AOL on UDP, that is only partially true.  They closed off AOLs to private individuals, but it is still possible to sell & do an AOL to a business.

Regarding the logistics of porting your number to GV and changing your number on Verizon, I also just completed that successfully using the method described in this thread.  The main uncertainty I had was the lack of agreement on EXACTLY WHEN you should request the number change on VZ after initiating the port on GV.  I saw some posts that said wait until after 22 hours, and some that said you need only wait until after you receive the GV email confirming that the port had been initiated.

What worked for me was in between: I submitted the number change with VZ about 20 hours after receiving the GV email confirming that the port was in process.  I immediately received confirmation from VZ that my number had been changed, and instructions on how to reboot my phone a couple times to activate the new number.  That worked fine, although from that point on any calls to my old VZ number received a recording saying the number had been changed or disconnected.  During this time my old number was unable to receive calls or texts.  I used this time to update GV with my new VZ assigned number, and set call forwarding to that new number so that when the port was completed there was a new call forwarding number.

At 24 hours *to the minute* after the port has been initiated, the GV website (and subsequent email) confirmed that the port was completed successfully!  Test calls to my old ported number forwarded via GV to my new VZ number without incident, although texts are still in limbo an hour later, as others indicated to be expected.

I can now complete the AOL on the UDP, and if I wish, add a new line at VZ and port my long time number back.  I'll update later to confirm how that process works, and when texts resume.

Thanks to those who have shared this information earlier, or I would have assumed I had to lose my longtime number in order to sell my UDP.

• 0 Likes