Android OS Forum banner

** CLOSED ** [MOD] Kookie's Mod Shop (system bar mods & bootanimations)

28K views 65 replies 16 participants last post by  Kookie_Monster 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
*** MOD SHOP OFFICIALLY CLOSED ***

*** MODS ON [post='1145652']POST #2[/post] ***
*** BOOTANIMATIONS ON [post='1145654']POST #3[/post] ***

Hey guys!! It's your favorite monster again! :D

I'm starting this thread to show my work and give you guys a chance to make your N7's a little different. Now, I should start by saying that, for now, my mods will only be effective on CM10.1 based ROM's with Tablet UI* enable (Special mention to Timur's USBROM).

Shortly after I started my In-Dash Project [sup](Kookie's In-Dash Project)[/sup] I realized that the System Bar could be much improved to better suit my needs. My first experience was to add the volume buttons to the bar. I then started to get a few requests, which made me realize people were after the same things I wanted. And alas... this thread is born. I will be posting all the mods I make and are worth sharing. Plus... you get the chance to come here and request custom ones. I may or may not be able to apply them. I should warn everyone out there that I'm no experienced themer. Just a guy looking for a different approach! :)

Requests "How-To"
I have lots of ideas of my own, but this thread was created to help the community, and so I will always give priority to your requests. But in order to know exactly what you want I will need you guys to provide as most info as possible. The work I've done so far is supposed to help you understand what can/can't actually be done. You also have to understand that the bar is pretty limited. Don't go asking for a bar with 20 buttons on it. lol Here's a short list of specs:
  • Buttons to be removed/added;
  • Buttons position;
  • Buttons color/shape (if you see any icons you like and want me to incorporate it... just add the link);
  • Clock font color/size;
I should also say that I reserve the right to take your requests under consideration or not. But don't worry... I will answer all of them, even if the answer is negative. And I will always try to attend them... unless I really know I can't do it. And there's always an alternative! :)

I have some crazy cool ideas, so stay tuned. There's lots more to come!!

Support this project.

Donor's List (special "thank you")

MetalMan, WayneM, RED ZMAN

Thanks for reading.

Flashing Instructions:
If you read this far, you probably know how to flash these files, right? I'm assuming most of you do. For those who don't, here's how to flash them:
  1. Download the mod you want to implement on your N7;
  2. Push the file to your N7;
  3. Reboot to recovery (look for CWM of TWRP. It's all over the place);
  4. Press install and look for the location the file was transferred to;
  5. Select the file and flash (don't wipe cache/dalvik cache. There's really no need for that)
Warning
You should always make a full backup before doing any kind of changes to your N7.

Disclaimers
  • * What is tablet UI? It's the Navigation bar (bottom one) and Status Bar (top one... you know, the one with the battery and wi-fi indicators, clock, etc, etc) combined. When these two are combined they originate a single bar at the bottom called "System Bar".
  • Use these files at your own risk. I can't and won't be responsible for something that goes wrong while messing with the files the wrong way (flashing differently from what I posted above). These files will NEVER brick your device but can leave it pretty inoperable.
  • This is obviously NOT what I do for a living so, please... be patient if I take some time to attend your request. Thanks
  • I didn't "invent the wheel". There's lots of mods out there... and Android is a pretty transversal OS. You just have to know where to look and the rest is basically trial and error.

TWRP landscape version
(kudos to Dees_Troy for his awesome recovery and to Tasssadar for the rotation implement)
Download - Mirror

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
WARNING: Mods not working correctly after 20130517 nightly. Flash at your own risk!! As I make new mods for the new framework I will post the version it belongs to.

Volume Buttons
Centered Clock

(30dp version) - (Requested by MetalMan) - (default clock font size: 16dp)[post='1146216']Volume Buttons & Center Clock merge[/post]

[post='1146225']Media Buttons[/post]

Next mods:
  • Create flashable file for volume buttons mod;
  • Merge volume buttons mod with center clock mod (I can see this being handy to some;
  • Create mod with centered media buttons (play, next track, previous track);
  • Create mod with power button (some of you doing car installs don't have access to the physical power button, so this is very handy);
  • Create mod with brightness button;
  • Create my own custom bar (back, home, previous, play/pause, next, notification area, brightness, power)
  • Being able to set transparency to System bar.

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
#10 ·
This is NOT for Timur's USBROM only. It's for every CM10.1 based ROM with Tablet UI.

But you're right.... I should add this mention. :)

Donate button will come in good time.

#11 ·
The second I did was a request from MetalMan. He wanted his bar with the clock centered and a bigger font. So... I did it!

Requested by MetalMan

30dp version​
Font size: 30dp -> http://bit.ly/15FrRex
Font size: 34dp -> http://bit.ly/ZUFNJC
Font size: 38dp -> http://bit.ly/12u5Qct
I should add that the clock's default font size is 16dp.
Just for quick background on this: I made this request because my N7 is mounted in my car's dash, and the original clock font size in USBROM is 16 dp (as Kookie pointed out). It was not easily readable, and unless I'm on the home screen, the status bar clock is the only clock in my entire car. So having a larger, centered clock will make sure I always have an easy-to-read clock! Attached is a screenshot showing off the 38 dp centered clock :)

Attachments

#12 ·
This is exactly what I ask you guys to do after you use one of my mods: show me what you made with it! :)

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
As promised...

Volume Buttons mod added to OP.

http://bit.ly/11zsNzE

I will be merging this mod with the centered clock as well. As soon as I get the time. :)

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
Volume Buttons & CenterClock (no recent apps button)
(38dp version)
Center VolumeButtons & Clock
(34dp version)
Center VolumeButtons & Clock (no recent apps button)
(30dp version)
In case you're really used to using the recent apps button, try pressing the home button for about 1sec. :)

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
Media Buttons

http://bit.ly/11CNvyH

Icon pack used: http://forum.xda-dev...ICONS&nocache=1

The "play" icon is currently not changing to pause when the music is playing. I have to find a way of doing this programmatically, which I still have to figure out how to do. xD

This is just getting started guys! :)

Reactions: leolulz
#31 ·
I have a request, not for a system mod really though.

Remember the amazing boot animation you made? Can you please make me a reverse landscape oriented one, with the USB ROM logo, with the multi color CM10 animation I showed you?

I'd donate for that. I'm not using a system bar at all anymore (LMT FTW!), so most of these aren't for me. Good work though!

Also, can I put your flashable zips for the other 2 boot animations you did up in my Boot Animations thread? I'll give you credit of course.

#32 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'll let you in on a little secret. Post #3 was actually reserved thinking of any bootanimations I might be doing in the future! xD

I'll do that for you, no problem. :) No deadlines though...

I will add the USBROM's flashable bootanimations links in post #3 and you can add them to your thread as well. :)

LMT is a hell of an app, but somehow I came to the conclusion that it's NOT user friendly enough for a car install. I, myself, are considering to quit using it. That's why I resumed my idea to make a custom bar for myself. Probably increasing the bar's height too.

PS: Links added to [post='1145654']post #3[/post].

Reactions: RED ZMAN
#33 ·
Thanks man, I appreciate it.

I've not had any issues with LMT at all since I put my system in, what issues are you having? Even my wife found it pretty easy to pick up on. My only problem is I need a big DPI, so I don't get the bottom bar with the DPI's I need. The buttons/icons on lower DPI's are too small to use when driving. My old setup had a mod that would move the nav bar from the right to the left at phone DPI's. When I got the Nexus I couldn't find anyone to make the same sort of mod, so I went with LMT.

Perhaps this would be a good one for you to do? I can give you some links to the ROM I was using on my Galaxy Tab, others may find it useful.

#34 · (Edited by Moderator)
No real issues, sort of speak. It's just a matter of intuitiveness, I guess.

About the bar on the side... the only problem I see there is that you'd be pretty limited regarding button space. But I guess I can give it a try and see what I come up with.
To tell you the truth this is actually the solution that would suit me the best. But again... button space... very limited! :|

PS: I think I can deliver your bootanimation later today. :)

#35 · (Edited by Moderator)
Inverted Volume Buttons & Media Buttons
(Request by leolulz)

Download

@leo... let me know if the speakers size is too big for you.

@Everyone
I haven't managed to change the play icons according to playstate. I'll be uploading new versions of all the media buttons mods as soon as I can figure it out.

Reactions: WayneM
#37 · (Edited by Moderator)
Reactions: RED ZMAN
#40 ·
Yeah, I know... the problem is instead of using system_bar.xml it changes to navigation_bar.xml, which has been tweaked by CM. And besides... I'm predicting it won't be easy to move the bar to the left.

#41 · (Edited by Moderator)
I can provide you with links to the rom that had it before, so you can check it out and see if there is something you can pull out.

Blasted from my Samsung Galaxy SIII (CM10.1 Masta Mix).

#42 · (Edited by Moderator)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1848555
[ROM][CM10][4.1.2][GSM][07-Dec-2012] Sapir - CM10 based + tablet mode +++

He's the last person I knew that did it, but others did it on CM9 and CM10 too for the original Galaxy Tab.

Blasted from my Samsung Galaxy SIII (CM10.1 Masta Mix).

#43 · (Edited by Moderator)
Finally got that new boot animation flashed, PERFECT, thank you! Donation coming in now.

BTW, I had to use the links from your post about it, the links in the 3rd post aren't right.

Confirmation number: 9LN727921V339550T.

#44 ·
Donation received. Thanks mate!!

I'll check the links ASAP. :)

#45 ·
Guys... as much as I wanted to do this, moving the Navigation Bar to the left is WAYYY out of my league.

I was having a look at some repositories and this requires some heavy coding, which I'm unable to "reproduce". This is definitely not a task for me. Sorry guys!

#47 ·
#50 · (Edited by Moderator)
Guys... it's important that you read this.

If you're using a CM10.1 based ROM, these mods will NOT work correctly after nightly 20130517. I certainly didn't expect them to be messing with framework at this point, when the word on the street is CM10.1 is about to see its final version. I knew it was a risk, but even so...

Anyway... I still have to decide on what to do about this. Until then... no more mods.

#51 · (Edited by Moderator)
Oh well... I guess there's not much left to do but re-do all the mods for the latest CM10.1 framework. I'm pretty sure CM will be making changes again in the future. The difference is that by then I'll actually be mentally ready for it.

So... as long as I have my N7 to test things out (not installed in my car's dash), MOD SHOP IS OPEN FOR BUSINESS... again!! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.