Android OS Forum banner

TouchPad Battery Drain issues & How Flashing A6 Firmware can help

137K views 464 replies 63 participants last post by  middle_road 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Since the release of J.C. Sullins latest experimental CM10 rom dated 20130304 in which he tried to correct the battery drain issue while the TouchPad is asleep, a whole new situation has arisen that some folks are experiencing really great battery drain, around -3 to -4ma, while others are seeing in the range of -20mA or so. J.C. recently posted this about it:
**************************************************************************************************************
(Posted by J.C. Sullins in the "How to install CM10 thread)

"I've been developing/testing the low battery drain for several weeks now with minimum drain as mentioned elsewhere. Then, a few days ago, all of sudden, it wouldn't drop below 18-22mA. After checking several things, I decided to check in webOS. Same thing in webOS.

So, on a hunch, I decided to reflash the A6 firmware (see tpdebrick-v004 thread).

Back to normal now.

My explanation: The A6 firmware is a bit flakey and reflashing it's firmware resets some of it's non-volatile memory to a known-good state.

BTW, if you follow the tpdebrick-v004 process, please send me the "typescript" file obtained when you do so."
*********************************************************************************************************
All of this has created a whole new set of questions and concerns about battery drain and how it is going to be addressed.

I've created this thread to give everyone a place to discuss this and not clog up other threads.

UPDATE:

New methods of flashing the A6 firmware have been found and forum member RolandDeschain79 has been working overtime to create a written guide and two videos on how to flash the A6 firmware. First the videos:

Flashing A6 firmware, method 1:

https://www.youtube....h?v=3T2Apdc15uY

Flashing A6 firmware, method 2:

https://www.youtube....h?v=5lOGY94RRDs

Flashing A6 firmware method 3:

If you prefer a written guide read on:

HP TouchPad Battery Drain issues during sleep (Important):

The Problem:
Developer James Sullins, Aka Jcsullins, has informed HP TouchPads users that there is a problem with our tablets A6 Firmware. This issue can cause an usually high battery drain during sleep. This problem occurs overtime while running both CyanogeMod and WebOS, on the HP TouchPad. As a result the Touchpads battery drains more quickly with daily use and the overall life span is reduced.

The Solution:
Reflashing the A6 Firmware effectively fixes the problem but may need to be repeated as a part of regular HP TouchPad maintenance.

How to test:
How to monitor your battery
To monitor your battery drain history during sleep install the free app Battery Monitor Widget:
-Once installed open the app and go to history to see a log of your devices sleep history.
-To setup the Battery Calibration correctly for the HP TouchPad, this is based on the capacity of the installed battery in your
TouchPad. The next instruction tells you how.
-go to BMW settings/calibration/Battery capacity/ and set it to 6300 (*f29c), 6000 (*i29c) or 5800 (*s29c) and tap OK
-Note* See the Battery p/n # on the original packaging. Based on the p/n of your battery, set the capacity as described above.
-Note* after setting the calibration, users will have to allow several hours to pass while battery history in being accumulated.
Or
You can also use Cool-Tools to monitor your battery drain in real time.
-Watch the instructional video Here.

A6 Firmware Threads & Info:
Battery Drain issues on HP TouchPad (This thread you are reading)
[Fix Guide] How to Reflash the A6 Firmware XDA

How to Reflash the A6 Firmware Method 1:
[Video] How to fix the A6 firmware Battery Drain Problem on the HP TouchPad Method 1

1) Boot to WebOs and in the "Just Type" box enter the following: webos20090606 or upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
-Tap the developer mode icon and slide the toggle to on, then press submit.
-WARNING: Do not enter a password. Just tap submit.
-Plug the USB cable into the HP TouchPad and your PC.

2)Install Java and the Novacom software*
- Note* If you have already previously installed Android with, Java and Novacom drivers, then proceed to step 3.

a]Download Java:

b]Download Novacom Universal Installer:

3)Open windows explorer and go to C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc\Terminal
-Now run the Terminal.bat*
-Note* if you are using a 64 bit OS and get the Error "Windows cannot find Javaw..." you will need to copy the Javaw.eve from C:\Windows\SysWOW64 and paste it into C:\Windows\System32.

4)In the open Novaterm window, select file\connect\Ok
-Now copy and paste the following line into Novaterm and press enter*
PmA6Updater -f -d 0 /lib/firmware/a6_firmware.txt.00
-Note* Do Not! disconnect the TouchPad After starting this procedure.
-Novaterm will tell you "firmware update complete"
- In the open Novaterm window, select file\disconnect\Ok
-Congratulations you have now refashed the A6 Firmware using method 1 and can safely disconnect your HP TouchPad from the USB cable.

How to Reflash the A6 Firmware Method 2:
[Video] How to fix the A6 firmware Battery Drain Problem on the HP TouchPad Method 2

1) Boot to WebOs and in the "Just Type" box enter the following: webos20090606 or upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
-Tap the developer mode icon and slide the toggle to on, then press submit.
-WARNING: Do not enter a password. Just tap submit.
-Plug the USB cable into the HP TouchPad and your PC.

2)On your PC Install Java, Novacom and the WebOSQuickInstall-4.5.0 software*
- Note* If you have already previously installed Android with Java and Novacom, then proceed to step 3.

a]Download Java:

b]Download Novacom Universal Installer:

c]Download WebOSQuickInstall-4.5.0:

3)Run the WebOSQuickInstall-4.5.0 software, note your TouchPad must be connected with the USB cable.
-Click on the Small globe icon located under the plus minus buttons.
-This will take us to a new menu where we will search "preware"
-Click the install button and the Preware app will be installed.
-You may now unplug the USB cable.

4)On the tablet while booted into WebOS navigate to downloads and select Preware.
-scroll down until you see a button appear to continue
-Search for "wterm" and install the app.
-Run wterm, and set a password to give the app Root permissions.
- You can set or change the password by looking for the wterm menu in the upper left corner and select setup.
-Click on New password and enter a simple password like "0000"
-Confirm the password and press "Set Password" button, now hit done and exit.
-Note you can increase the font size by going to wterm preference settings.

5) Now in wterm enter one of the following commands:
PmA6Updater -f -d 0 /lib/firmware/a6_firmware.txt.00
PmA6Updater -a (Note this shorter command flashes two firmwares)
-It should take about 20-30 seconds to complete and will inform you upon completion.
-Congratulations you have now reflashed the A6 Firmware using method 2 and can safely close the terminal and reboot your HP TouchPad.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Since the release of J.C. Sullins latest experimental CM10 rom dated 20130304 in which he tried to correct the battery drain issue while the TouchPad is asleep, a whole new situation has arisen that some folks are experiencing really great battery drain, around -3 to -4ma, while others are seeing in the range of -20mA or so. J.C. recently posted this about it:

"I've been developing/testing the low battery drain for several weeks now with minimum drain as mentioned elsewhere. Then, a few days ago, all of sudden, it wouldn't drop below 18-22mA. After checking several things, I decided to check in webOS. Same thing in webOS.

So, on a hunch, I decided to reflash the A6 firmware (see tpdebrick-v004 thread).

Back to normal now.

My explanation: The A6 firmware is a bit flakey and reflashing it's firmware resets some of it's non-volatile memory to a known-good state.

BTW, if you follow the tpdebrick-v004 process, please send me the "typescript" file obtained when you do so."

All of this has created a whole new set of questions and concerns about battery drain and how it is going to be addressed.

I've created this thread to give everyone a place to discuss this and not clog up other threads.
So... I'll report my results.

Tried everything in the book to figure out why I wasn't deep sleeping and getting the 3-5 mA. I was going as low as 19-22 mA. Reflashed ROM, running bare stock and still not getting lower. Didn't want to do the TPDebrick process as my TP has been great... just not deep sleeping down to the levels everyone seems to report.

Tried doing a AcmeUinstall, WebOSDoctor, total wipe in WebOS, and then reinstalled with AcmeInstaller3 and so far I am seeing drops down to about 6 mA.

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Yeah, let's not get the cart before the horse. One case is not enough to call it a fix. Maybe J.C. will chime in here and give us his thoughts on whether WebOS Doctor is going to accomplish the same thing as his suggested flashing the firmware for the A6 controller.

Also, I have two 32GB TouchPads. One has been running CM10 since December. After flashing the 0304 rom, at first I thought I was going to get the -3 to -4mA drain, but after several hours it was obvious that I was getting the higher readings, in the 20's range. I decided to clean install CM10 on the second one and so far it has been maintaining the lowest readings. I'm getting around 5% usage per day. However, this is a clean install with no other apps except BMW to keep an eye on the battery. I plan to do a similar install like the first one, which will be install CM9, restore my CM9 backup and then install CM10 over the top of it. If my battery usage remains stable after all that, then I will give WebOS Doctor a try on the one that is getting higher readings. I'll report back with I have all that done.

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
Interesting. Last fall when testing a new Beta version of the MBM HAL for the TP 4G, one of the MBM developers noticed that if any of the A6 alarm settings changed, it would continuously send IRQs and cause battery drain. He developed a kernel patch that would set them back to the default if they changed. I have used this patch in all my TP 4G builds since with no apparent ill effects.

I mentioned it to jcsullins back then, but he had not seen this behavoir. But maybe it was masked by the higher battery drain.

James, you may want to test this patch to see if it addresses this issue. A copy of the patch is attached.

The attached file should not be used to flash / install using recovery (CWM or TWRP). It is a software patch that can be used to modify the kernel code if you are building a ROM for the HP TouchPad.

John

Attachments

#52 ·
Interesting. Last fall when testing a new Beta version of the MBM HAL for the TP 4G, one of the MBM developers noticed that if any of the A6 alarm settings changed, it would continuously send IRQs and cause battery drain. He developed a kernel patch that would set them back to the default if they changed. I have used this patch in all my TP 4G builds since with no apparent ill effects.

I mentioned it to jcsullins back then, but he had not seen this behavior. But maybe it was masked by the higher battery drain.

James, you may want to test this patch to see if it addresses this issue.

A copy of the patch is attached.

John
http://rootzwiki.com...attach_id=37530

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
Still messing around setting up to run WebOS Doctor. Below is an interesting rundown of when and what the Doctor is doing, note line #9:
  1. WebOS Doctor begins
  2. At 3%, a ramdisk is transferred to the phone, and the phone is rebooted
  3. At 4%, the screen changes to the HP logo
  4. At 9%, the screen changes to a big arrow pointing down to an integrated circuit
  5. Novaterm access is available from 12% onwards
  6. The progress bar advances by 2% increments every 20 seconds or so
  7. If it gets stuck at 52% for more than 30 seconds, it's not going to progress further and you will need to try again.
  8. Around 54% the filesystems are being partitioned
  9. Around 64% the modem firmware is being reflashed
  10. Around 72% the carrier apps are being installed
  11. Around 82% the ROM is being verified

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
OK I want to make sure I am understanding this correctly and reading I right. Last night I plugged in the Touchpad and turned off the screen. When I woke it up this morning the battery widget read 4mA. I looked at the history and it read 1 every ten minutes all night long. I'll see if I can post a screen shot....... OK I'm not finding the screenshot option with jellybean. How do you take a screen shot with the ROM?

#20 ·
Well I finished with my experiment to see if running WebOS Doctor would correct the battery drain issue, -4 to -5mA vs. -20 to -25Ma that folks are reporting. I uninstalled Android, ran the Doctor and then clean installed CM10. I did not install any other apps except Battery Monitor Widget and I am still getting the higher battery drain. Don't know if I am willing to tackle J.C. Sullins method of reflashing the A6 firmware that he said corrected it on his TouchPad. From what I understand, one would have to go through the whole debricking process to accomplish this. Maybe if J.C. could create a script that just flashes the A6, it might be worth a try. And for the record, my other TouchPad seems to be getting the lower battery drain. Go figure!
I let it sleep for over two days and still had 85% battery left.

#27 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm seeing a different sort of issue, at least from I'm reading in the threads. When my Touchpad using CM10 3/4 goes to sleep it actually is turning completely off when on battery mode even when fully charged. If sitting on the Touchstone this doesn't happen. This wasn't happening initially but started about a week later. From what I can see I can't find any settings or apps that would be doing this. I restored from my initial backup of CM10 after doing a wipe and the problem returns. I just restored back to my CM9 backup after wiping and so far it doesn't appear to have the issue. I may do a full wipe and fresh install of CM 10 without restoring any of my data to see what happens. But I thought I'd see if anyone else experienced this or have solution?

#29 · (Edited by Moderator)
Try Nevertells upgrade advice below. This is the first time that I have heard of this issue.

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]Installing CM10 over the top of CM9.(updated as of 3/14/13)[/background]

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]Why would you want to do this instead of just doing a clean install?[/background]

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]If you are like me, I want to keep all my apps, data and settings intact. I worked hard to get my[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]TouchPad to where it is now, that is why I do regular Nandroid backups too. [/background]

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]The following is what you can do to accomplish this based on what we know about the state of[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]all the programs involved. First, a couple of assumptions. You have been keeping your TouchPad[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]up-to-date by flashing nightlies via either ClockworkMod(CWM) or TeamWin Recovery Project(TWRP). [/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]Your PC is properly configured with Novacom drivers and programs and you have ACMEInstaller3(ACME3)[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]and ACMEUninstaller on your PC in the proper folder. You know where to find all the programs and files[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]mentioned here. You have at least a basic understanding of what I am talking about, if not STOP![/background]

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]If you are not aware, older versions of CWM and TWRP caused corruption in the /system partition that when[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]ACME3 is used to install CM10, will cause serious issues up to and including a failed install. So one needs[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]to do the following below to avoid this. Also, backups made with older versions of TWRP are not compatible[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]with the newest versions.[/background]

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]I strongly suggest that the first thing you do is update CWM to version 6.0.1.9 dated 2012-12-15 or TWRP to[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]at least version 2.3.3.0 and not later than 2.4.1.0. Do not use TWRP version 2.4.3.0 as it is causing serious[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]problems. Once you have updated, then make a Nandroid backup and save a copy off to your PC for safety.[/background]

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]A little caveat here, using GooManager will install the latest version of TWRP on their servers, which as of[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]this writing is version 2.4.4.0 which hopefully fixes the problems in 2.4.3.0. If you prefer to keep using the[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]version you are currently using, you need to use a file browser with root permissions like Rom Toolbox Lite[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]to copy the "uImage.TWRP" from the /boot folder and save it somewhere on your SD card. Once you have[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]used GooManager to install TWRP you need to use the file browser to replace the uImage.TWRP in[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]the /boot folder with the copy you save to your SD card.[/background]

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]Now you need to run ACMEUninstaller. Once that is done, if you had not already put the CM9 nightly you[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]have been using, CWM6 and Moboot 0.3.8 in the cminstall folder, do so now. If you plan to use TWRP to[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]restore your backup, copy the gapps file also, as you will need to access the Play Store to download[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]GooManager so you can install TWRP. Now run ACME3. Once this is done, depending on which recovery[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]you plan to use, restore the backup you made. You are now right back to where you were, with the /system[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]partition at the correct size for CM10 and no corruption.[/background]

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]You now have two choices, copy the latest CM10 experimental rom and gapps 20121022 for Jellybean into[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]the cminstall folder and run ACME3 again or use the "Install zip from SD card" from your recovery program. [/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]That's it. You have now installed CM10 over CM9 and kept all your apps, settings and data. And don't forget,[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]if you use a recovery program to install the rom and gapps, be sure you clear the cache and Dalvik cache.[/background]

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]One word of warning about using Moboot 0.3.8 with TWRP. Moboot 0.3.8 was created because certain apps[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]and games did not work correctly if one was using an older version of Moboot. Moboot 0.3.8 also causes[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]TWRP to save backups made in a newly named folder in the backup folder. Previously, backups were stored[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]in a folder named 000000000000 in the backup folder. To be able to access your older backups, just use a[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]file browser to move them to the new folder.[/background]

#31 ·
When I setup on CM10 I did a wipe and clean install per the instructions. Then i restored apps/data from my CM9 backup. All worked fine for a week and then the problem started. My daughter has the exact same Touphpad 32GB that I updated the same way and she does not experience this problem of shutting down when going to sleep. I just did a wipe again and a clean install of CM10 and didn't install restore any apps or data and the problem is still there. So I went back to my backup of CM9 and all is working fine. Looks like I'll stay there for now. Not sure if I want to mess with the reflashing of the firmware at this time because it does function correctly with CM9.

#34 · (Edited by Moderator)
Posting details about my TP's battery life as posted in cm10 thread per NT's request - the link to my original post at

http://rootzwiki.com...30#entry1121022

Can't beat phenomenal battery life. only thing I had let go was My Water live wallpaper that allowed just a single day or about 26 hours on a single charge.
Usage has been around 6:15 hours in 3+ days the tp is on. BTW, this is with Wifi off during sleep.

Maybe those still on the fence can jump in and install 0304 build.

Attachments

#35 ·
Posting details about my Tom's battery life as posted in cm10 thread per NT's request - the link to my original post at

http://rootzwiki.com...30#entry1121022

Can't beat phenomenal battery life. only thing I had let go was My Water live wallpaper that allowed just a single day or about 26 hours on a single charge.
Usage has been around 6:15 hours in 3+ days the tp is on. BTW, this is with Wifi off during sleep.

Maybe those still on the fence can jump in and install 0304 build.
Thanks for doing this. You should also try monitoring with Battery Monitor Widget for a couple days. You might have seen some folks posting screen captures of their usage.

#39 ·
Hi all,

I seem to be a lucky one, I last full wiped at the first cm10 release, now on the latest release I'm getting the amazing sleep battery drain. However, i seem to be using more with the screen on. Watching a movie last night while in airplane mode, hardware video and audio and screen dim on auto used 75% of the battery over two hours.

Is this just the battery getting old or is there another issue I should look at?

Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk 2

#40 ·
Sounds like your battery is starting to get weak. There are lots of battery apps that will analyze the battery health. Battery Monitor Widget will do this, however, you have to use it for a week or so and go through several charge/discharge cycles before it will report accurately. You also have to make sure you change the mA rating in BMW's settings to 6300 so it's calculations will be accurate. Wait until the percent is below 40% before recharging.

#41 · (Edited by Moderator)
Looks like we will need to extend this testing to CyanogenMod9 now too. Jcsullins has released a new CM9 test build that improves the battery drain to the level of CM10. I can confirm a -3/4ma battery drain during sleep with this build. Lets test this out and give Jcsullins some feedback about it. Just fantastic to see improved battery life across the board, thank you Jcsullins:)

cm-9-20130317-UNOFFICIAL-tenderloin.zip

#42 ·
I just installed this and upgraded over my working CM9 install, and I have the same issue I had with CM10. When my unit goes to Sleep it actually shuts down. I have to power it completely back on again. I just restored back from the backup I made and Sleep works properly. Not sure why this is an issue with my unit, as my daughter has a Touchpad 32GB like mine with CM10 installed which I setup actually the same at the same time I did mine, and her sleep works properly. Not sure but I believe some units do have different internal parts, so maybe something between the two units is different.

#44 ·
Ok, I have been missing for along time, been busy..

One thing for sure.. AVOID MoBoot 3.8 and latest TWRP if you want to keep your backups!

Battery issue, I did have -3 on cm10 and then it went higher..

But since I did the latest TWRP and Moboot, I lost my backups, and even the latest went to heck!

I keep the images of twrp, so I just moved that in and got moboot back from an earlier BU.

I'm now back to March 10 cm9 and just installed jcsullins cm9 ..
We will see..

#49 ·
I realize there are a lot of unknowns which is why these are called UNOFFICIAL but if one had to take an educated guess, is 3/18 the one to test and give feedback on? Or is 3/18 for 1 lot of TP battery and 3/17 is for another lot depending on the capacity (5647 s29c vs 6300 f29c)?

#62 ·
The a6 zip file, kernel_hp_tenderloin_A6.zip contains a patch file for the kernel source code, kernel_hp_tenderloin_A6.patch . It is only useful to homebrewers. You use it by changing to your kernel directory, ~/android/system/kernel/hp/tenderloin, and typing git apply kernel_hp_tenderloin_A6.patch. Then you brunch tenderloin as usual (applying any cherrypicks that you wish).
This file is of no use to those who don't build their own kernels from source.That's fun to do, look at the development section, lots of good information in the pinned threads there.

#63 ·
I am definitely (after a few days of consistent 3-5 mA readings when sleeping) getting slightly worse results. Now when I go into deep sleep... its fluctuating b/w the 3 to about 20 mA range with odd spikes up into the 30s for no particular reason. I am definitely not seeing readings of 3, 3, 4, 5, 3, etc like I was before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.