Rate this Topic

- - - - -

2006 Audi A4 - In Dash Install

• Please log in to reply

OP naiku

naiku

Super User

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:32 AM #1

I figure since I am using Timur's ROM, it makes sense for me to start somewhat of a build log on here of the install I am working on in my vehicle. Ever since I bought the car I have been annoyed/disappointed with the factory stereo, for one thing it has a tape deck (why a car made in 2006 has a tape deck, is something that will forever confuse me). It also has no bluetooth, no GPS, no way to add an aux input except using a cassette type adaptor. All in all, its pretty limited. My options for replacing it were either an RNS-E ($800+) or an aftermarket unit (cost of aftermarket unit + approximately $200 in wiring to get it functional).

Posted Image

I have already replaced everything downstream of the head unit, starting with a JBL MS8, I then have a pair of Alpine amplifiers running all of my speakers. The sound is good, but just something about the original head unit always bugged me. On an Audi forum I am a member of, I recently saw someone had mentioned they were looking to install an iPad into their dash. That got the wheels turning, and before you know it. I was holding my wifes Kindle Fire up to the dash.

Posted Image

Since the fitment was good, I decided to go ahead with the project. Bought a 16GB Nexus 7, I went with the 16GB because I don't plan to store a whole lot on the tablet itself. I also started ordering a bunch of supplies that I would need:

Dash kit
12V DC-DC Regulator
Fuse Tap
OTG Cable
USB Hub
90 degree mini USB connector
Sabre USB-DAC

I thought about leaving the Nexus stock for a couple weeks, but after about a day rooted it and flashed with Timur's USB ROM. I removed my stock head unit from the car, plugged the JBL MS8 into the 3.5mm output, and nothing. I then realized that the MS8 currently gets a remote turn on signal from my OEM head unit. Currently I am trying to locate a switchable 12V somewhere, but likely will end up using the fuse tap.

Here is where things look so far:

Posted Image

The kit is not pushed all the way back in, this was really just for test fitment purposes. Since I don't yet have the fuse tap, I want to keep my OEM head unit in there for a couple more weeks. Mental note: If you think you are going to sneeze when using a Dremel, switch off the Dremel:

Posted Image

In order to get the Nexus to sit flush, I had to dremel off some material on the back of the dash kit. The scratch is only noticeable at certain angles, but I may well pick up another dash kit at some point. Once my 90 degree USB connector arrives I need to figure out which of the area's in red below I need to cut some away from. They are simply plastic, that I think help hold the stock head unit in place. So I should be able to cut a notch out for the USB cable to go through:

Posted Image

That's about the extent of my progress for now. As I am currently waiting on a few things to arrive in the mail. Ultimately I will have the Nexus semi permanent in the dash (I want to be able to remove it if parked in high crime areas), USB-OTG cable plugged in, then a USB hub, with the USB-DAC sending signal to the MS8, and an iPod flashed with Rockbox as external storage in the glovebox for music. I plan to use my cell phone and bluetooth tethering for streaming music / navigation. At some point I am also going to pick up a Connects2 harness and Joycon to retain my steering wheel controls, and am also keeping an eye on the useage of an easycap in order to add a back up cam.

OK, enough writing for now. Once I get some more progress made I will update the thread.
  • 8 Likes

Jon102034050

Jon102034050

• 15 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:18 PM #2

Awesome work so far, makes me miss my old a4! I've subscribed to keep up with your progress :)
  • 1 Likes

OP naiku

naiku

Super User

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:14 AM #3

Awesome work so far, makes me miss my old a4! I've subscribed to keep up with your progress :)

Thanks, I had hoped to get some more done this weekend. But, ordered a mini USB 90 degree adapter by mistake. Now trying to source a micro USB 90 degree adapter instead, but it looks like I can only find them in China (14-30 day shipping to the US). Oh well. Maybe I will get everything delivered in the same week!
  • 0 Likes

Kookie_Monster

Kookie_Monster

Android Master

• 593 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:44 AM #4

Thanks, I had hoped to get some more done this weekend. But, ordered a mini USB 90 degree adapter by mistake. Now trying to source a micro USB 90 degree adapter instead, but it looks like I can only find them in China (14-30 day shipping to the US). Oh well. Maybe I will get everything delivered in the same week!

How many times did you bang your head against the wall for that one?! :lol: Sucks...

It's funny how a seemingly easy project can turn to be so complicated. When I started mine, I knew it would a while, but not THIS long! It's challenging though... can't wait to see mine installed.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted! B)
  • 0 Likes
In-Dash Nexus 7 Project | Mod Shop

Samsung Galaxy SIII LTE 16Gb »» ROM: Stock Android 4.1.2 (Root) »» Kernel: Stock
Asus Transformer TF101 16Gb »» ROM: EOS4 Nightlies »»»»»»»»»»» Kernel: KATKernel
Google Nexus 7 32Gb »»»»»»»»»» ROM: Timur's USBROM »»»»»»»»» Kernel: Timur's Kernel

OP naiku

naiku

Super User

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:35 AM #5

How many times did you bang your head against the wall for that one?! :lol: Sucks...

Lots! LOL. I got the envelope, opened it, held the piece up to where it will go in the car, was happy that it would fit with plenty of room. Then went to plug it into the Nexus... and, WTF? It does not fit. Then, CRAP!! I ordered mini not micro. I ordered a pair off eBay this morning, from China but they should be here by mid-March hopefully. One is a left bend, the other a right.

It's funny how a seemingly easy project can turn to be so complicated. When I started mine, I knew it would a while, but not THIS long! It's challenging though... can't wait to see mine installed.

Yes, usually when I am working on something in the garage, I tell my wife on a Saturday morning "It should only take me about an hour" ... Sunday afternoon I end up being done.
  • 0 Likes

OP naiku

naiku

Super User

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:28 AM #6

USB OTG cable arrived yesterday, plugged into my laptop, then Nexus 7 and then plugged my iPod into the other end. Awesome!! 160GB of storage :)
  • 0 Likes

OP naiku

naiku

Super User

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:41 PM #7

Had an issue that the USB hub I ordered was not playing nicely with my iPod. So after thinking about it some, I ended up selling the iPod and picked up a 64GB USB flash drive. Dumped the iPod as I rarely use it (use my phone when on my bike) and figured it would be a pain having to switch it on each time I wanted to listen to music.

Flash drive arrived today, so I immediately plugged it into the hub... nothing?? WTF. Unplugged it, plugged directly into the OTG cable, again nothing? Then I plugged it into my laptop which recognized it, so I again tried plugged into the USB Hub --> OTG Cable --> Nexus and success! Copied about 30GB of music over, plugged in again and all my music is now showing up.

90 degree micro USB adapter should hopefully arrive tomorrow (was in NY yesterday, and I am in VA). Fingers crossed it gets here tomorrow and I can start wiring things up while waiting on the last piece of the puzzle (USB-DAC).
  • 1 Likes

OP naiku

naiku

Super User

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:56 AM #8

90 degree micro USB adapters arrived today, both work fine. My USB-DAC was also (sort of) delivered today. For some reason, despite me being home all day (I work from home on Mondays) they could not deliver it and left me a notice in my mailbox, and the earliest I can get there is Wednesday.

Edit: The post office called me and said I can collect it today, so of course I jumped in the car and drove down there. The USB-DAC is tiny, probably the size of a matchbox. I wanted to do some back to back comparisons, but realized my headphones are in the office.

The USB-HUB and Nexus showed the USB-DAC correctly, and my flash drive. What's odd though is that sometimes it acts as though it loses the connection to the hub (and so everything connected to it). I get the feeling I may have to pick up a powered USB hub, but will only know for sure once its wired into the car.

Edited by naiku, 11 March 2013 - 01:22 PM.

• 0 Likes

OP naiku

naiku

Super User

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:37 AM #9

I posted this in Timur's ROM thread as a couple people in there were waiting on some feedback of how the USB-DAC sounds, but figure I would also copy it here:

My Sabre DAC arrived on Monday, while I have not yet hooked it up in the car, I have played with it some in the house. All I can say is.... WOW!!! Seriously, the little box blows me away. I plugged it into my laptop, then into my Onkyo amplifier driving a pair of Polk Monitor 70's in stereo mode. Turned the volume up almost full on my laptop (24 out of 25) and then set the amplifier to about 2/3 volume.

Started playing Lana Del Rey - Off to the Races, it sounds unbelievable. I then stopped the song, unplugged the DAC and plugged directly into my laptops 3.5mm output, same volume on laptop, amplifier and same song. It sounds sooooooooo flat, vocals are much flatter and not as focused, bass is nowhere near as good. If I was not working currently I would just go sit on the couch blasting music all afternoon.

I cannot wait to get this into my car now, I get the feeling paired with my JBL MS8 it is going to sound very impressive.

So, now apart from a couple pieces of wiring that I need (just to extend power wire) I have everything I need to get the Nexus installed. I may try to work on it a little this evening, at least trying to find a switchable 12v source in the trunk to turn my MS8 on. Currently the OEM head unit turns on the MS8, when I remove that, it does not turn on. So I may try to find a switchable 12v in the trunk for that this evening, and also see about cutting a slot for the USB cable to go through at the side of the Nexus.
  • 1 Likes

kodiack99

kodiack99

Android Lover

• 107 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:03 PM #10

Hey,just posted an answer to your tasker issue on XDA.Let me know if you need more help but the photos should set you in the right direction.
Here are a couple more pics of my install though,2010 Hyundai Genesis:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by kodiack99, 15 March 2013 - 05:11 PM.

• 2 Likes