Kookie's In-Dash Project

• Please log in to reply

OP Kookie_Monster

Kookie_Monster

Android Master

• 593 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:56 AM #1

Hey there...

I'm here to announce and show my amazingly fantastic in-dash mount of my Nexus 7 in my super-duper 2012 Chevrolet Cruze LT. XD

First of all I'd like to say a few words. The moment I started imagining the project in my head, I started looking for information. I soon realized that most of the things I wanted to implement weren't even possible "out-of-the-box", and some where still unavailable by way of custom developments. But still, I came across a thread by a guy that goes by the name of Timur. Him and a few other guys were trying to implement the same things I had imagined. All this to say this project has only been possible due to their work. So... kudos to all you guys! :)

So... it starts.

My project is not implemented yet and much is left to be done. I like to plan things ahead so that I don't get caught off-hand later on. This would mean having to unmount my dash all over again.

User Interface v1.0 screenshots:
Screenshot_2013_02_02_23_07_06.jpg Screenshot_2013_02_02_23_30_07.jpg

User Interface v2.0 screenshots:
Screenshot_2013_03_08_01_22_26_1.jpg Screenshot_2013_02_22_00_26_48_1.jpg
Background | Icons

User Interface v3.0 screenshots:
Screenshot_2013_03_21_01_39_58_1.jpg Screenshot_2013_03_21_01_47_37_1.jpg

Final User Interface screenshots:
Screenshot_2013_06_17_23_14_48.jpg Screenshot_2013_06_17_23_26_57.jpg

So that you'll understand what I'll be working with/on, here's a pic of the radio console and display:

radio_chevrolet_cruze.jpgThe radio is behind the buttons panel and I'll be installing the N7 where the stock display is and the display will be placed above the N7, mounted on a special adapter. This gives me the chance to keep every stock audio-related gear without having to replace anything.

Here's a fancy diagram showing all the connections I intend to do.

nexus7diagram.jpg

List of materials (gear used or being planned):

• Nexus 7 Grouper ................................................................. 250,00€
  • Mouting gear (Power supply and related materials):
  • Chevrolet Cruze 7" Fascia .................................................... 54,86€
  • ABS Sheet .............................................................................. 5,91€
  • Add-a-Fuse ............................................................................. 5,98€
  • 5A Fuse .................................................................................. 0,50€
  • On/Off Switch .......................................................................... 1,30€
  • 12v to 5v converter (3A, USB version) .................................... 3,57€
  • Stock USB-microUSB cable
  • Micro USB 5-Wire Extension ................................................. 18,69€
  • USB 2m Extension (not used for it didn't provide enough "juice" to the Hub ......................................................................................... 2,73€
  • Delock Adapter USB 3.0 Docking Cable / Extension ............... 9,90€
  • USB OTG Y-cable ................................................................... 4,49€
  • 4-port USB self-powered hub .................................................. 2,39€
  • Velcro Strips (secure the tablet to the fascia) ......................... 5,99€
  • Screen protector from Ultimate Shield (trashed) ............................. 8,56€
  • Screen Protector from Belkin ................................................ 12,99€
  • Audio/Media (and related materials):
  • Hifimediy Sabre USB DAC ..................................................... 43,66€
  • Western Digital My Passport 500Gb ..................................... 47,96€
  • USB Dual Power Y Cable ........................................................ 5,49€
  • Audio Splitter Cable ................................................................ 2,92€
  • RCA - Jack short cable (originally bought to connect to the Behringer UCA202) ................................................................................................ 3,09€

Total cost (so far): 490,98€

List of software/apps being used/evaluated:

• OS-related:
  • Timur's USBROM (Development thread)
  • Off-mode-charge mod (kudos to trevd) (instructions)
  • UI-related apps:
  • Apex Launcher Pro
  • GMD GestureControl (gesture shortcuts, allows navigation bar hiding)
  • LMT Launcher (gesture shortcuts and pie-format navigation menu with auto-hide, allows navigation bar hiding) free
  • Simple Image Wallpaper Free (live wallpaper that implements images without cropping) free
  • Desktop VisualizeR (custom icons) free
  • Ultimate Custom Widget (UCCW) (need I explain? lol) free
  • Minimalistic Text (custom text-only icons/widgets) free
  • Dock Clock (full screen clock) free
  • Media-related apps:
  • Poweramp Full Version (unlock app)....................................... 2,99€
  • Audio Glow Music Visualizer free
  • Media Buttons (media customizable widget) free
  • Music Popup (popup showing Artist name, album name and photo, and song)
  • Tune Announcer (same as the above, only better)
  • musiXmatch Lyrics Player (needed by Poweramp to display lyrics) free
  • MX Player free
  • TuneIn Radio free
  • StickMount
  • aVIa Media Player (sharing media files with other androids) free
  • Navigation/car-related apps:
  • FuelLog - Car Management free
  • Mais Gasolina Mobile (Portuguese app that shows gas stations and prices) free
  • TMN Drive HD (Portuguese map with voice navigation) free
  • m.Portagem (Portuguese highway tolls calculator) free
  • Misc. apps:
  • Tasker
  • ASTRO File Manager
  • Root Explorer
  • Titanium Backup
  • Battery Stats Plus free
  • Tablet Talk .............................................................................. 1,99€

Total cost (so far): 4,98

(So that you guys don't get the wrong impression, I'm using a few "adulterated" app versions for testing purposes only. I do plan on buying every single paid app I use on my project.)

I will be updating this topic whenever there's a development worth mentioning. I hope it will help other people. That's basically why I wrote this.
And please, feel free to show me new apps and sugest other implements. :)

Cheers!

Similar projects:
Naiku
dcplaya
jmcguire525
Kuchar09
leolulz
RED ZMAN
[url="http://rootzwiki.com...install/"]a7788

Edited by Kookie_Monster, 30 September 2014 - 07:38 AM.

• 3 Likes
In-Dash Nexus 7 Project | Mod Shop

Samsung Galaxy SIII LTE 16Gb »» ROM: Stock Android 4.1.2 (Root) »» Kernel: Stock
Asus Transformer TF101 16Gb »» ROM: EOS4 Nightlies »»»»»»»»»»» Kernel: KATKernel
Google Nexus 7 32Gb »»»»»»»»»» ROM: Timur's USBROM »»»»»»»»» Kernel: Timur's Kernel

Gil Smash

Gil Smash

Nexus'd Out

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:25 AM #2

I really wish I could do this to my car but it's waaaaaay to complicated to even try and begin with a factory nav system

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  • 0 Likes
Galaxy Nexus --- Rom: Vanir 4.3 --- Theme: Matted Blues --- Kernel: Fancy --- Launcher: Nova
Nexus 7 --- Dead...

Good times on the D1 - Old DF handle of 666ogre666

OP Kookie_Monster

Kookie_Monster

Android Master

• 593 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:38 AM #3

I really wish I could do this to my car but it's waaaaaay to complicated to even try and begin with a factory nav system

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I have to say that I can actually do this without having to remove the stock radio because it's hidden behind the buttons panel, below the display. This is NOT
doable on all cars.

But still... it's a crazy but fun project. :lol:

Edited by Kookie_Monster, 30 January 2013 - 09:39 AM.

• 0 Likes

Samsung Galaxy SIII LTE 16Gb »» ROM: Stock Android 4.1.2 (Root) »» Kernel: Stock
Asus Transformer TF101 16Gb »» ROM: EOS4 Nightlies »»»»»»»»»»» Kernel: KATKernel
Google Nexus 7 32Gb »»»»»»»»»» ROM: Timur's USBROM »»»»»»»»» Kernel: Timur's Kernel

dcplaya

dcplaya

Android Beginner

• 332 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:25 AM #4

Audio connections (not chosen yet. Studying a way of connecting this to stock-radio harness, since

What do you mean by this? Are you keeping your stock speakers? Would this be any help to you?

Found the link! http://store.mp3car....i_p/com-140.htm

Edited by dcplaya, 30 January 2013 - 03:36 PM.

• 1 Likes

OP Kookie_Monster

Kookie_Monster

Android Master

• 593 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:05 PM #5

What do you mean by this? Are you keeping your stock speakers? Would this be any help to you?

(Ill post a link later today, I cant find what I am talking about..."

I'm actually keeping everything stock-audio related: radio, speakers, wires... the works. My initial thought was to connect the DAC to the AUX-In, but since it's a little out of reach I have to find a way to connect it to the connector that fits in the radio, which has all the connections, including the AUX-In cables.
  • 0 Likes

dcplaya

dcplaya

Android Beginner

• 332 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:37 PM #6

I'm actually keeping everything stock-audio related: radio, speakers, wires... the works. My initial thought was to connect the DAC to the AUX-In, but since it's a little out of reach I have to find a way to connect it to the connector that fits in the radio, which has all the connections, including the AUX-In cables.

So what will be powering your speakers? The stock radio? Or is it an after market radio?
  • 0 Likes

OP Kookie_Monster

Kookie_Monster

Android Master

• 593 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:38 PM #7

So what will be powering your speakers? The stock radio? Or is it an after market radio?

Stock radio! :)
  • 0 Likes

dcplaya

dcplaya

Android Beginner

• 332 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:50 PM #8

Stock radio! :)

Ah, then nevermind on my previous link.
  • 0 Likes

OP Kookie_Monster

Kookie_Monster

Android Master

• 593 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:53 PM #9

Ah, then nevermind on my previous link.

No problem. New ideas are always welcome. ^_^
  • 0 Likes

jmcguire525

jmcguire525

Android Lover

• 102 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:40 AM #10

nice work Kookie, exactly what I had in mind even before the N7 came out! Check out multipicture live wallpaper. I'm guessing you are using invisible icons and such and it will give you the ability to change things up a little if you want, see this video to see what I'm talking about
  • 1 Likes