Rate this Topic

- - - - -

Touchwiz ROM versus CM/AOSP

• Please log in to reply

OP Veridor

Veridor

Android Aficionado

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:46 AM #1

Anyone here do a side-to-side comparison of Touchwiz (stock and/or debloated) and an AOSP ROM like Cyanogenmod or AOKP on the Galaxy S3?  I love the feel of AOSP/stock Android, but I keep running into bugs in AOSP.  I'm just wondering what sort of perfornance hit, if any, I might see going back to a Touchwiz ROM, especially when I compare the ROM image sizes (around 180 MB for CM10.1, and well over 700 MB for debloated Touchwiz).

Sent from my SCH-I535 using RootzWiki
  • 0 Likes
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (SGH-T889) | ROM: CleanROM ACE 4.5
Kernel: stock

Did you find this post helpful? If so, please click the Thanks/Like button.

headcheese

headcheese

Android Apprentice

• 347 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:24 PM #2

aosp has always felt faster and smoother to me on any phone. 4.2 is getting better everyday with less bugs and the newest leankernels have been working great. bluetooth is almost worked out, tethering is still a bit buggy, sometimes i have issues with gps, and data can still be flaky but it has gotten better.

personally i like the customization, less bloat, and new features and updates that aosp brings. also i update my rom at least weekly and its just easier to do on aosp. plus there is a lot more updates. smaller rom sizes, cm's updater works great, and i have my pc set up to compile aokp. i enjoy doing that and like checking http://gerrit.sudoservers.com to see what new things are being worked on.

if you need the stability run TW if you like new shiny things run AOSP. i flashed to aosp 4 months ago and told myself i would never go back. that's one of the biggest reasons i root in the first place.

Edited by headcheese, 28 January 2013 - 02:26 PM.

• 0 Likes

jefflikesbagels

jefflikesbagels

• 23 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:35 PM #3

The biggest issue I have with AOSP is the reception/data drops. I rely on having my data working a lot, so when it just randomly drops I rage haha.
  • 0 Likes

OP Veridor

Veridor

Android Aficionado

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:36 PM #4

Generally, I prefer AOSP over any skinned version of Android, but I guess I'm debating whether it's worth it to go back to TW for working Bluetooth. Also, I get a ton of data drops on CM10.1 nightlies.

• 0 Likes

Cruiserdude

Cruiserdude

Android Lover

• 255 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:23 PM #5

Depends on your needs and preferences. If you simply prefer the look of AOSP, there's a few TW roms that emulate it. Beans is definitely my favorite, and with the Aroma Installer, its nearly as customizable as stock CM, though of course many changes can only be done when flashing, rather than on the fly. I'd recommend everyone try AOSP at least once, just make sure to back up your IMEI first (flashing a Synergy rom will do this for you). If you find there's something you use that is still broken, or a feature you need or want badly, go right back to TW.

For me, everything that I use works great on official CM10.1, and its just as stable and reliable as stock TW. There are TW-specific features that I miss, and the TW camera certainly is alot better, but there's nothing I really need that isn't there. But the performance difference is insane, feels like a completely different device. You have to see it to believe it, but its very addicting. I want to get certain TW features back, but I haven't been able to tear myself away due to the performance, and the fact that nothing I need is broken. I know I'll get the urge eventually, and probably end up switching back and forth a number of times. But the great thing is that's easy and fun to do, so don't be afraid to play around and see what works best for you.
  • 2 Likes

darthyobert

darthyobert

Android Beginner

• 26 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:58 AM #6

Ditto:)

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2
  • 0 Likes

jucytec

jucytec

jucytec.design

• 175 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:43 AM #7

lets not forget, TW roms have much greater battery life.
  • 0 Likes

Flashing a ROM is like taking a DUMP...U ALWAYS WIPE.
Dirty installing a ROM in the same dump analogy...You certainly don't have to wipe your phone... it's just not recomended...It's like NOT Wiping your @ss... You don't have to, but it's not recomended...When you don't, throughout the day you can't shake that feeling... "Something just doesn't feel right." It may feel smooth at first... but when the moisture dries... it will irritate you.This is probably the reason why some flashers wipe multiple times for no apparent reason... Subconciously we all think it needs a second or third wipe, even though a digital wipe is clean the first time, everytime.

headcheese

headcheese

Android Apprentice

• 347 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:49 PM #8

I wouldn't say much greater. Imoseyons 4.2 kernels do pretty well on battery. Deep sleep like a champ.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  • 1 Likes

kameleongt

kameleongt

Android Beginner

• 181 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:05 PM #9

My only issue on aosp vs two is camera seems like night and day difference.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  • 0 Likes

OP Veridor

Veridor

Android Aficionado

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:42 PM #10

My own anecdotal experience leads me to believe that cell signal, Bluetooth, and the camera perform much better on Touchwiz.

• 0 Likes