- - - - -

Question about 3g -> 4g alternate upgrade to keep unlimited data

• Please log in to reply

OP atthevoltain

atthevoltain

Android Beginner

• 4 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:58 PM #1

Hello! I apologize in advance for starting another "Can i keep my unlimited data?" thread, but after going through several pages of the forums, I haven't found any that directly apply to my situation.

So basically, this is what I'm working with:

My Dad: Main account holder, iPhone 4 with a 2gb/month data plan
Me: Secondary Line, Droid X with unlimited data plan

I currently have an upgrade available, but I'm obviously trying to avoid losing unlimited at all costs. My plan currently is to use the alternative upgrade to pick up a Galaxy Note 2, by transferring the upgrade to my Dad's line and then switching the phone over to mine. My main concerns are:
  • Would this work, since we both have 3g lines and I'd be moving to a 4g phone? Would the SIM be activated on his line, or straight to mine, and would this affect his plan? (Assuming he wants to stay on the 2gb/month he currently has)
  • Can I do this without him there? I'm going back to school about four hours away, and would be visiting a Verizon Store where I live, instead of where he lives. Do I physically need his phone to be able to pull this off, and if not, will this interrupt his service at all? (Note: I am an account manager on his account, so I should be able to do all this without him there, I'm just not sure on what the rules are for the alternate upgrade and switching phones.)
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out with this. If this ends up being not doable, I'm going to end up buying the phone off-contract and activating it on my line, but I'm trying to avoid that if I can get it to work with transferring the upgrade.
  • 0 Likes

llama555

llama555

• 27 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:15 AM #2

Hello! I apologize in advance for starting another "Can i keep my unlimited data?" thread, but after going through several pages of the forums, I haven't found any that directly apply to my situation.

So basically, this is what I'm working with:

My Dad: Main account holder, iPhone 4 with a 2gb/month data plan
Me: Secondary Line, Droid X with unlimited data plan

I currently have an upgrade available, but I'm obviously trying to avoid losing unlimited at all costs. My plan currently is to use the alternative upgrade to pick up a Galaxy Note 2, by transferring the upgrade to my Dad's line and then switching the phone over to mine. My main concerns are:

• Would this work, since we both have 3g lines and I'd be moving to a 4g phone? Would the SIM be activated on his line, or straight to mine, and would this affect his plan? (Assuming he wants to stay on the 2gb/month he currently has)
  • Can I do this without him there? I'm going back to school about four hours away, and would be visiting a Verizon Store where I live, instead of where he lives. Do I physically need his phone to be able to pull this off, and if not, will this interrupt his service at all? (Note: I am an account manager on his account, so I should be able to do all this without him there, I'm just not sure on what the rules are for the alternate upgrade and switching phones.)
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out with this. If this ends up being not doable, I'm going to end up buying the phone off-contract and activating it on my line, but I'm trying to avoid that if I can get it to work with transferring the upgrade.

This actually worked for me. I am a secondary line and I just transfered the upgrade to a different line with 2 GB data and upgraded to a S3 then transfered the phone back to my line. The other person was on a 3g phone too.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  • 0 Likes

OP atthevoltain

atthevoltain

Android Beginner

• 4 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:04 AM #3

Awesome, thanks for letting me know. Did you lose service at all on the second line, or did you activate the s3 straight to your account?
  • 0 Likes

GridHooligan

GridHooligan

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:41 PM #4

* Disclaimer: I do not accept responsibility if you should try this method and 'brick' your data plan

I believe this might work in the system. As for 3g-4g the 4g sim will be actvie on his line and this will cause temporary interruption of service. If the store properly does a "device only change" ( IMPORTANT: ask that they specifically mark the sim as usable when the pop-up dialogue appears in the system. ) then you will be able to re-use the same sim immediately. because the device upgrade is being applied on a line not under unlimited in the system it should not affect your line of service.

And be sure that you visit a corporate store not an indirect as they usually have better training and know not to screw these kind of transactions up. also make sure you see the review of the price plan prior to signing and making payment. ESP if they are using the iPad POS instead of a computer terminal.
  • 0 Likes

llama555

llama555

• 27 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:51 AM #5

Awesome, thanks for letting me know. Did you lose service at all on the second line, or did you activate the s3 straight to your account?

The line with the 2 GB per month lost service for the brief 2 minutes that it took them. They set it up right to my line tho. It didn't matter 3g to 4g at all.
  • 0 Likes

OP atthevoltain

atthevoltain

Android Beginner

• 4 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:34 AM #6

The line with the 2 GB per month lost service for the brief 2 minutes that it took them. They set it up right to my line tho. It didn't matter 3g to 4g at all.

So i have the phone, after using my upgrade on my dad's line. Should I activate the phone on his line first, then switch it to mine? (Though this would probably require me getting another SIM). Or can I activate the SIM straight to my line without affecting my plan?
  • 0 Likes

OP atthevoltain

atthevoltain

Android Beginner

• 4 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:04 AM #7

Good news, I got the phone onto my line and kept my unlimited data. I had to activate it on my dad's line first, then call verizon to have the SIM switched to my line, but eveything worked out fine. Thanks for your help guys.
  • 0 Likes

kwest12

kwest12

Chief Molesting Officer

• 308 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:38 PM #8

Interesting. I too am coming from a Droid X and have unlimited data. We have two dumb phones still, so I'm wondering if I could do this. Obviously if either of the dumb phone users wanted to upgrade to a smartphone they'd be locked into the tier pricing anyway, so if I switched the upgrade to one of their lines it wouldn't really matter.
  • 0 Likes