1. 0
  2. 0
  3. 0/5

Rate this Topic

- - - - -

Please HELP! Battery won't show charge past 70%.

• Please log in to reply

OP SlimKermie

SlimKermie

Android Beginner

• 10 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:09 PM #1

Hi Guys,

I have spent days researching this, and have read dozens of forum posts, but nothing has worked. Here's the problem- I bought a used verizon Galaxy Nexus off of Craigslist. The phone looks great and seems to work well. But, it won't show a charge beyond about 70%.

I thought the battery might be the issue, so i bought an a new OEM extended battery, but the new battery didn't make any difference. It still won't show a charge above 70% no matter how long I leave it on the charger (with the phone turned on or off). I have done probably 20 discharge/recharge cycles, but nothing changes. Posted Image

Next, I bought an external charger. When I fully charge the battery in the external charger and pop it in the phone, it still shows around 70%. So, it is definitely an issue with the phone (not the batteries).

I've also tried four different ROMs, as well as all the black-magic "battery calibration" tricks found in the forums, but nothing helps.

I am totally stumped! Is there anyway I can fix this?

Thanks!

Slim
  • 0 Likes

hazard209

hazard209

Tweaker

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:14 AM #2

As far as I can tell, it sounds like a hardware issue to me. There are two more things I would suggest trying.

1) Is it still only charging to 70% when the phone is off and charging? If you haven't tried it, maybe give it a shot.
2) Buy an external battery charger, charge the battery until the light turns green, put the battery in and see if the phone still reads it as having a 70% charge. If it does, then two things are probably happening. Something is causing the battery to discharge rapidly by thirty percent or you're phone can't read the charge state of the battery.
  • 1 Likes

Device: Nexus 4
ROM: AOKP
Kernel: Latest Faux Kernel

AuroEdge

AuroEdge

Android Babies

• 300 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:35 AM #3

Find out the battery health in the phone dialer or spare parts app. I bet you have an end of life battery
  • 0 Likes
Posted Image

EvoXR1

EvoXR1

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:07 PM #4

It could be because the actual battery port might have some condensation damage.

I've had this problem and currently do right now. Mine charges up to 97% after I take the charged out and put it back in it will sometimes go up to 100. I took it to Verizon and had them replace it, I had to jump through hoops to make sure they didn't charge me the equipment fee because they said I cause water damage to the battery charging port.

Little did I know it was because my 1 year puts my phone in his mouth port first.

Maybe the previous owner did something similar?
  • 1 Likes

OP SlimKermie

SlimKermie

Android Beginner

• 10 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:43 PM #5

Thanks for all the feedback, guys!

To answer some of the questions/suggestions:
  • Is it still only charging to 70% when the phone is off and charging? Yes. When it is turned off and charging the little white battery never goes all the way full. The last battery segment never fills up.
  • Buy an external battery charger, charge the battery until the light turns green, put the battery in and see if the phone still reads it as having a 70% charge. I did this as well. I bought the OEM Samsung dock with new battery. The battery is fully charged in the dock charger it still only show about 70% in the phone. So, it is definitely a phone issue and not a battery or charger issue. For some reason, the phone can't read the correct charge state of the battery.
  • Find out the battery health in the phone dialer or spare parts app. I have a brand new OEM battery. Also, the stock battery it came with shows good health.
  • It could be because the actual battery port might have some condensation damage. Hmmm. Hadn't thought about that. i just checked the moisture indicator sticker in the phone. The sticker has a bunch of purple or red x's all over it. I think that means it is good.
  • Mine charges up to 97% after I take the charged out and put it back in it will sometimes go up to 100. I have tried "bump charging" it, both turned on and off. It does not help.
  • Little did I know it was because my 1 year puts my phone in his mouth port first. Maybe the previous owner did something similar? Since he is not a little kid, i hope he wasn't putting the phone into damp, dark places! I really don't even want to think about that! :tongue2:
Thanks for all the great suggestions. Please keep them coming. I'd really like to keep this phone!

Edited by SlimKermie, 05 January 2013 - 12:57 PM.

• 0 Likes

hlaalu

hlaalu

Android Lover

• 214 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:59 PM #6

Well how long does your phone last on a full charge? If you are getting average use out of it, the phone might just be reading the battery level wrong. I would try two things. First, charge it up all the way (for you to the 70%) and use it normally until it drains down. Take a screenshot of the battery usage and we can compare it to ours. Second, find someone or go to a verizon store and put your battery in a working phone, though from what you've shared I would imagine it would show over 70% in a different phone but it doesn't hurt to rule out the battery.
  • 1 Likes
Nexus 10 ~ Galaxy Nexus
Posted Image
Android Assault!

OP SlimKermie

SlimKermie

Android Beginner

• 10 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:57 PM #7

Thanks, hlaalu. Please see the screenshot below. This is running the phone off the 2100-mAh battery. You can see that it starts at around 70%. With light usage over a few hours, the battery is already down to 21%.

Posted Image
  • 0 Likes

hlaalu

hlaalu

Android Lover

• 214 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:06 PM #8

What's the screen on time? These phones are relentless for using battery when the screen is on.
  • 1 Likes
Nexus 10 ~ Galaxy Nexus
Posted Image
Android Assault!

OP SlimKermie

SlimKermie

Android Beginner

• 10 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:09 AM #9

Everywhere there is a major dip- that is where the screen was on. The screen definitely burns battery fast!

I can live with the screen battery drain. But, I know that Android does not let the battery truly fully discharge because that is bad for the battery. So, when Android says the battery is at 1%, the battery might actually still have 20% charge. Since my phone's stats are so messed up, what I am concerned that I'm missing out on 30% charge on each battery cycle.

I guess I'll take it into a Verizon store just to see what they say. I'm sure I'm SOL since I bought the phone used, though.
  • 0 Likes

hazard209

hazard209

Tweaker

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:17 AM #10

You may still have Samsung's manufacturer warranty?
  • 0 Likes

Device: Nexus 4
ROM: AOKP
Kernel: Latest Faux Kernel