1. 0
  2. 0
  3. 0/5

Rate this Topic

- - - - -

Want a new phone but can't give up Unlimited Data? Read here!

• Please log in to reply

OP DaRkL3AD3R

DaRkL3AD3R

Average Android

• 222 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:57 PM #1

Sup folks,

Well it's 2013, and I assume anyone reading this who really is interested in Android will be looking for something new. I know I was, and I had my eyes set on the Samsung Galaxy Note 2. But there was just one problem: I refused to give up my unlimited data. I knew that the general consensus was you either cough up full retail price for your phone, or you simply don't get one and that was the only way to keep this data package. Well I have some good news for you guys who might be looking to move past this device, I have a working method that will let you buy a new device at subsidized pricing, AND keep your unlimited data! Interested? Read on :D

Requirements:

-Line with unlimited data
-De-activated dumb phone

This process can be done anyway you feel most comfortable with, whether it be over the phone, on the website, or in store. I personally did this alone myself on the website, but I did later in the process go into the store to finish it up. Here's how the process looks:

1) Add a new line to your account
2) Order on this new line your phone of choice at subsidized pricing
3) Add a tiered data package to this line only, leave your primary plans alone
4) Add a pay-as-you-go text messaging plan
5) Once you have your new device, activate it on the new line
6) Take your dumb phone and activate it over your new device
7) Remove the tiered data plan and sub it with a pay-per-MB plan
8) Get a new SIM card that fits your new device and activate it on your primary line

That's it! Congratulations you now have a new device and kept your unlimited data! Here's how the pricing breaks down using the Galaxy Note 2 as an example:

Full Retail = $700

----------------VS----------------

Subsidized = $300
+
Activation Fee = $35
+
Monthly Increase = $~12 x 24 months = $288
=
Total Cost = $623

You are saving approximately $70 however the main principle is you are not paying that all in one shot. With this method you are essentially able to finance the phone off while keeping that precious unlimited data.

I hope this helps some of you guys! I think it's time we all move past this thing :P so go ahead and give this a shot, for me it was totally worth it and my wife and I are 100% happier with our new devices. There's no comparison between the two phones and I won't even begin to go into that. There's plenty of material all over the web and forums to show you why it's worth your money.

Good luck and if you have any questions, feel free to post them! Enjoy!

Edited by DaRkL3AD3R, 03 January 2013 - 11:58 PM.

• 0 Likes
Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 2

JellyBeans Build 10 with Perseus Kernel v32.1

Hellboy

Hellboy

Android Guru

• 2,027 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:34 AM #2

Sup folks,

Well it's 2013, and I assume anyone reading this who really is interested in Android will be looking for something new. I know I was, and I had my eyes set on the Samsung Galaxy Note 2. But there was just one problem: I refused to give up my unlimited data. I knew that the general consensus was you either cough up full retail price for your phone, or you simply don't get one and that was the only way to keep this data package. Well I have some good news for you guys who might be looking to move past this device, I have a working method that will let you buy a new device at subsidized pricing, AND keep your unlimited data! Interested? Read on :D

Requirements:

-Line with unlimited data
-De-activated dumb phone

This process can be done anyway you feel most comfortable with, whether it be over the phone, on the website, or in store. I personally did this alone myself on the website, but I did later in the process go into the store to finish it up. Here's how the process looks:

1) Add a new line to your account
2) Order on this new line your phone of choice at subsidized pricing
3) Add a tiered data package to this line only, leave your primary plans alone
4) Add a pay-as-you-go text messaging plan
5) Once you have your new device, activate it on the new line
6) Take your dumb phone and activate it over your new device
7) Remove the tiered data plan and sub it with a pay-per-MB plan
8) Get a new SIM card that fits your new device and activate it on your primary line

That's it! Congratulations you now have a new device and kept your unlimited data! Here's how the pricing breaks down using the Galaxy Note 2 as an example:

Full Retail = $700

----------------VS----------------

Subsidized = $300
+
Activation Fee = $35
+
Monthly Increase = $~12 x 24 months = $288
=
Total Cost = $623

You are saving approximately $70 however the main principle is you are not paying that all in one shot. With this method you are essentially able to finance the phone off while keeping that precious unlimited data.

I hope this helps some of you guys! I think it's time we all move past this thing :P so go ahead and give this a shot, for me it was totally worth it and my wife and I are 100% happier with our new devices. There's no comparison between the two phones and I won't even begin to go into that. There's plenty of material all over the web and forums to show you why it's worth your money.

Good luck and if you have any questions, feel free to post them! Enjoy!

One flaw in your math there. You forgot the taxes and other fees they tack on every month on your bill. So if you figure those in I bet you might come out cheaper just paying full retail pricing. I think this is why Verizon has raised the subsidized prices on their phones. They are not stupid people it didn't take long for them to figure it out. They did a silent fix so they wouldn't have to listen to people bitch at them. In the end they are getting more money in the long run than they would have if they sold it to you outright at the full price.

So in the end who is screwing over who? Lol

Unless you have someone in your family that needs a second line and is happy with a dumb phone. Then its a waste of money and you was better off just paying retail for the phone.

Then what happens in a year when you want another new phone. Add another line and do the same thing?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
  • 0 Likes

heath2805

heath2805

Android Guru

• 1,060 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:05 PM #3

Even better and cheaper >buy one off swappa or eBay >activate it, done! > Still keep unlimited <

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  • 1 Likes

DeReaper

DeReaper

Super User

• 496 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:43 PM #4

I got a nexus for my wife do I need to take it to Verizon to turn it on or can I just put the sim in it I've never swapped phones before lol
  • 0 Likes
Posted Image

Hellboy

Hellboy

Android Guru

• 2,027 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:48 PM #5

Gnex uses a smaller sim card then the bolt.

• 0 Likes

DeReaper

DeReaper

Super User

• 496 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:53 PM #6

kk thanks I should keep unlimited right? also can I drop the insurance
  • 0 Likes
Posted Image

Hellboy

Hellboy

Android Guru

• 2,027 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:10 PM #7

Yes you should keep unlimited if you didn't get the gnex as a subsidized upgrade

• 0 Likes

DeReaper

DeReaper

Super User

• 496 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:17 PM #8

eBay,but what about dropping the insurance will they allow it and keep the unlimited?
  • 0 Likes
Posted Image

Hellboy

Hellboy

Android Guru

• 2,027 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:39 PM #9

Call and ask. About all I can tell ya

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

• 1 Likes

DeReaper

DeReaper

Super User

• 496 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:48 PM #10

lol I hate talking on the phone :P but thanks for all the help lol if she doesn't like the phone it will be mine tehehe
  • 1 Likes
Posted Image