7 votes

[ROM] [4.4.2] AOKP :: kitkat :: toro

• Please log in to reply

skyskioc

skyskioc

Android Beginner

• 412 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:22 PM #4841

So how did the 3g/4g thing go? That's what's kept me on the previous version instead of upgrading.

3g 4g handoff is working fine for me. I am located in Orange County Calif and am having no issues with this build. everything else is running smooth on my nexus. Hope this helps

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  • 0 Likes

Higher_Ground

Higher_Ground

Average Android

• 4 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:10 AM #4842

What I usually do is use clockwork mod to back up the current ROM.  Then I flash the new ROM on top of the current ROM and then flash gapps and the kernel. Then i reboot the phone and use as normal.  I haven't bothered with using titanium to restore anything.  I know they put a weak radio in to begin but it shouldn't crap out and cripple the phone like this.

Funny thing is Bluetooth works fine as well.  I can stream content stored locally on the phone to my stereo in my car.  I am not quite sure what radio is being effected.

If you're coming from anything other than another AOKP build I would suggest trying a clean wipe before flashing.  I hate having to wait for everything to download again and getting all my settings tweaked how I like, but it's worth it to have connectivitiy when you're working with a gnex (it needs all the help it can get).

I usually wipe data and cache, and sometimes the dalvik cache though I admit I have no idea what it is.

I was having issues with connectivity a few months ago and as a consequence I've stuck with the 3/10 for now.  I might give this one a go, but I'm definitely going to make a back up first.

• 0 Likes

mpearce

mpearce

Average Android

• 5 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:12 AM #4843

If you're coming from anything other than another AOKP build I would suggest trying a clean wipe before flashing.  I hate having to wait for everything to download again and getting all my settings tweaked how I like, but it's worth it to have connectivitiy when you're working with a gnex (it needs all the help it can get).

I usually wipe data and cache, and sometimes the dalvik cache though I admit I have no idea what it is.

I was having issues with connectivity a few months ago and as a consequence I've stuck with the 3/10 for now.  I might give this one a go, but I'm definitely going to make a back up first.

I have always used AOKP and have usually had success in flashing the new version of the ROM over the current version without having to do a clean wipe or wipe data and cache or wipe dalvik cache. It usually just works.

I can remember recently a few weeks ago I was streaming a podcast over 4g in the car and in the middle of the podcast the data connection just died it went away and I lost the audio stream.

I live halfway between Baltimore and Washington DC so I am pretty sure I am in a strong 4g zone and should have no issue pulling in a mobile data signal.

Should I try wiping data and cache along with dalvik? I am not quite sure what those are either.
  • 0 Likes

csantoni

csantoni

• 87 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:38 PM #4844

I have always used AOKP and have usually had success in flashing the new version of the ROM over the current version without having to do a clean wipe or wipe data and cache or wipe dalvik cache. It usually just works.

I can remember recently a few weeks ago I was streaming a podcast over 4g in the car and in the middle of the podcast the data connection just died it went away and I lost the audio stream.

I live halfway between Baltimore and Washington DC so I am pretty sure I am in a strong 4g zone and should have no issue pulling in a mobile data signal.

Should I try wiping data and cache along with dalvik? I am not quite sure what those are either.

I am in a similar area with good 4g coverage (silicon valley) and I have a really hard time holding onto a 4g signal. The handoffs from wifi to 3g/4g and from 4g to 3g are fine. My problem is that once the phone goes to 3g it never wants to go back to 4g. Cycling mobile data off/on gets 4g back about half the time, a full radio off/on works about 10% of the time. Otherwise I just wait and it eventually seems to find the 4g again.

I'm beginning to wonder if this is due to vzw using a different part of the spectrum for 4g in crowded areas for which the toro doesn't have a radio.

• 0 Likes

JDog2pt0

JDog2pt0

Average Android

• 8 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:30 PM #4845

For those having radio troubles, unfortunately the toro has known and unresolved radio issues. Especially with 4g, and  handoffs. I've been struggling with it since I've owned the phone. Some people get it, some people don't. Also need to make sure to backup your efs due to it liking to get corrupted through flashing.

Edited by JDog2pt0, 11 April 2014 - 05:32 PM.

• 0 Likes

mpearce

mpearce

Average Android

• 5 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:18 AM #4846

For what its worth I did wipe data and cache as well as dalvik, this did not solve the problem. I tried turning data on and off and this did not fix the problem.

I followed that with a factory wipe. This did solve the problem, or so I thought. I went to a baseball game and had a 4g connection at the game I was able to download a few apps as well as post a photo to facebook. Then went out to eat after the game and still had 4g. I got home and the connection was handed off to WiFi. I disabled WiFi just to see if 4g would kick in, but it didn't at all.

So now I am back to no 3g/4g at all. I don't remember this happening in other versions of AOKP that were based on 4.2.x and 4.3.x and early versions of 4.4.x. This all started within the last 2-3 nightly builds.

Is there anything I can submit from the phone to help troubleshoot this?
  • 0 Likes

sfreemanoh

sfreemanoh

Android Apprentice

• 1,171 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:59 AM #4847

For anyone else who was stuck on the toro, I just want to say...the new HTC M8 is a beast, and definitely worth looking into as a replacement. Obviously it's not a Nexus device, but it has S-Off now, and development is really starting to pick up. Plus, it's just a great phone, and the battery life is ridiculous as compared to my old GNex. Hopefully one of the AOKP devs will get one and it'll get official support, but if not, even stock Sense 6 with Nova launcher (and all the VZW crap frozen...) is fantastic.

• 0 Likes
Bowties are cool.

If you want me to see a reply, please be sure to click Quote!

krweby

krweby

Android Beginner

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:48 AM #4848

Anyone else having soft reboots on 4/18?

• 0 Likes

skyskioc

skyskioc

Android Beginner

• 412 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:12 PM #4849

Anyone else having soft reboots on 4/18?

no just having major issues with screen of death and no service. As soon as the screen would turn off, I would push the button to turn it back on and it wouldn't. Just having serious issues. I nandroided back to a 3/26 build and am having no problems. Just going to wait this one out

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  • 0 Likes

JDog2pt0

JDog2pt0

Average Android

• 8 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:47 PM #4850

Now, to start, I've got one of those phones that has struggled with 4G, handoffs, etc. Airplane mode is a daily part of my routine. I absolutely love AOKP and, using anything else feels like less. However, the data has always been problematic. I've found FML here which claims at the bottom to have solved VZW ril issues thanks to DevVorteX. I'm going to testdrive it for a while to see how it well it works. The lack of customization options pretty well blows, but if it fixes the data issues then...

Anyways, if it works, what would it take to get the fixes into AOKP if they haven't already?

http://forum.xda-dev...9-2014-t2427087

• 0 Likes