3. 0/5

Rate this Topic

- - - - -

Ubuntu announces official phone OS

• Please log in to reply

LethalTomKitty

LethalTomKitty

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:02 PM #31

Hi this may seem kind of a dumb/impossible question but since android uses a Linux kernel and Ubuntu is Linux, will it be possible to port Ubuntu for phones ( http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/phone ) when it is realesed? If it is possible would it be as simple as compiling it from source?
  • 0 Likes

Sandman007

Sandman007

Deadly_Hamsters

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:14 PM #32

First off that is the actual mobile OS so no porting involved. Second the galaxy nexus will be the only supported device.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Edited by Sandman007, 08 January 2013 - 09:15 PM.

• 0 Likes

VZW Galaxy S3
Recovery: TWRP
ROM: ChaOS

Chuckleb0ne

Chuckleb0ne

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:47 PM #33

First off that is the actual mobile OS so no porting involved. Second the galaxy nexus will be the only supported device.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Well, it will eventual make its way over here. Just gotta wait until devs can mess around with it on the nexus.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  • 0 Likes

yarly

yarly

Just a noob that doesn't know what he's talking about

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:28 PM #34

Merged Ubuntu threads again, yay
  • 0 Likes

Dougal

Dougal

Average Android

• 3 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:33 PM #35

It's all about having freedom in a competitive World.
If Ubuntu succeeds and interfaces with all platforms seamlessly then we can look forward to much better choice from all who want to contribute to produce apps that will allow us mere mortals to tailor our phones, tablets and pcs that we pay for, to look and feel and operate the way we want them to and not the software vendors 'locked in' systems that force us to be limited.
It's like having a car or house that you want to change to the way you feel comfortable to live with BUT if you don't want to tinker then, just like any other person we will have the freedom to choose to leave the devices running with Ubuntu just the way it's supplied.
We already have some great operating systems in the opensource World taken up by all sorts of authorities because they demand the freedom to change the way the systems work to suit their needs. Just look at the film industry for one or the US military (I am told), they use Linux widely to 'get the job done' at minimal cost. Linux runs the spacecraft travelling to other Worlds - doesn't it? So lets give it a chance to show what can be done with an operating system.
Does this sound okay? I haven't gone over the top have I...
  • 0 Likes
Dougal