17 votes

Timur's Kernel - USB ROM - Most popular thread on Rootzwiki

• This topic is locked

dcplaya

dcplaya

Android Beginner

• 332 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:02 PM #601

The mic now works even with a USB DAC? If I'm reading that right awesome!!! Can't wait

Yes it does! I can confirm this while using Timur's ROM
  • 2 Likes

iceman_jkh

iceman_jkh

Android Lover

• 150 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:11 PM #602

Holy awesomeness Batman! (I assume you're talking about the internal mic on the N7)

Regarding viewing in direct sunlight, perhaps the 'invert colors' options (which doesn't seem to be on the N7) could be useful as a toggle mode for those brief periods where sunlight readability is an issue. Perhaps there is an invert colours app N7 could use instead?
  • 0 Likes

OP Timur

Timur

Android Master

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:29 PM #603

You can download USBROM here: http://timur.mobi/fi...ROM-grouper.zip 165 MB

Edit: new download page: http://mehrvarz.gith.../nexus-7-usbrom

Kernel features: USB host charging with optional 1800mA fast charging, switching FI + OTG at runtime (default = FI, must be disabled for pure OTG), Audio hotplug patches for DAC plugged while boot, USB audio + FTDI drivers

System features: Audio hotplug handler for DAC plugged post boot (JackNorris), FI audio pause service (b0bd), Settings pane, Landscape UI patches, Tethering enabled, CMUpdate disabled (obviously)

These are *all* changes, compared to 'stock' CM 10.1 nightly. This release is based on CM 10.1 code repository as of 2013-02-04.

If you are *not* coming from CM, you must wipe clean, before installing this. If you are on CM 10.1, you can just roll this over. It will not ruin your custom settings.

I'm back to using ro.sf.lcd_density=213 (/system/build.prop) for this release, when using Landscape UI. If you want to use CM launcher with Landscape UI, I would suggest to enable (Settings / Launcher / Stretch screen). I'm not making use of Superuser anymore in this release.

Please consider this to be an alpha release. Some people are having issues with USB DAC's (severe: no audio). Others seem mostly happy. I am still trying to figure out what is causing the audio issue. I will do more releases over the next days. But, as mentioned above, you can just roll them over. It's actually not much different to a kernel update. Good luck.

Edited by Timur, 05 February 2013 - 06:51 PM.

• 5 Likes

kodiack99

kodiack99

Android Lover

• 107 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:55 PM #604

On a side note Im having an issue with poweramp lagging.
Does anyone else use it?
And is there any way to disable the safe volume popup? Aopk roms have disable button.

Edited by kodiack99, 04 February 2013 - 03:52 PM.

• 0 Likes

bbennett2

bbennett2

Average Android

• 2 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:20 PM #605

just downloaded the USBROM. All i have to say is... FREAKING AWESOME!! thank you thank you thank you so much! I just tried hotplugging my dac (dac destroyer http://www3.hotaudio...&product_id=244) in the middle of a youtube video. It took about three seconds for the audio to switch over to my dac, but it worked!! I unplugged it and again it took about three seconds to switch back to the nexus 7 speakers, but still that's eleventy billion times better than turning the whole thing off every time. I still need to fashion myself an otg-y cable so I can use my dac and a flash drive for my car install, but you solved the biggest, most insurmountable problem for me. Thanks so much! do you have a donation page anywhere? You and those who helped out deserve thank you's from everyone!!

Edited by bbennett2, 04 February 2013 - 03:20 PM.

• 1 Likes

Kuchar09

Kuchar09

Android Lover

• 137 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:55 PM #606

Well thats awesome then!! That means we can at least use a Bluetooth headset mic till someone finds a external mic that will work.

I'm gunna install this right now but not sure how much I'll be able to mess with it since my fan control module fried for my cars heater yesterday so no heat for a few days :( and its in single digits again so my battery is at like 12%... perfect time for fast charging!!!
  • 0 Likes

OP Timur

Timur

Android Master

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:20 PM #607

What a noteworthy 1st post from bbennett2. I will try to reduce the lag.

@Kuchar09 pls make sure you can revert, in case you get caught by that sporadic audio issue.

Wait the source code is available? Where?

github.com/mehrvarz/android_kernel_asus_grouper
github.com/mehrvarz/android_frameworks_base
github.com/mehrvarz/android_packages_apps_Settings
github.com/mehrvarz/android_hardware_libhardware_legacy
github.com/mehrvarz/grabfocus

grabfocus is a fork of b0bd's grabfocus repository. I made a fork because I may need to apply changes to it.
android_hardware_libhardware_legacy does one thing only: enable volume +/- in hotplug mode.

Btw, did you all see what I did to the (bottom of the) 1st page? Why not have a look and, while you are there, give it a like?
Forgot an interesting post? Please DM me.

Edited by Timur, 04 February 2013 - 05:39 PM.

• 0 Likes

Kuchar09

Kuchar09

Android Lover

• 137 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:29 PM #608

What a noteworthy 1st post from bbenett2. I will try to reduce the lag.

@Kuchar09 pls make sure you can revert, in case you get caught by that sporadic audio issue.

I made a backup just in case!!

I take it we don't install Gapps, I immediatly get a message on the home screen saying something like gapps processes failed. But when I hit the power button nothing happens as in no options pop up to restart in recover to re-flash. I can hold down all 3 buttons and get it to restart, might be just the power button not sure, but I was curious if theres a way to enter recover from this situation with holding all the buttons at the same time or something?

Thought I remember I was able to get to fast boot before to enter recover.

Just curious if there is a way if i can re-flash with out taking my dash apart lol

Edited by Kuchar09, 04 February 2013 - 05:31 PM.

• 0 Likes

OP Timur

Timur

Android Master

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:40 PM #609

Well, you can use 3 buttons to boot into bootloader and use the volume keys to select reboot into recovery.
  • 0 Likes

Kuchar09

Kuchar09

Android Lover

• 137 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:45 PM #610

Well, you can use 3 buttons to boot into bootloader and use the volume keys to select reboot into recovery.

Thats what I thought, can I do that when I have my issues occur while the home screen tries to loads?
Maybe I'll try holding down all 3 buttons while the google loading screen is up.
Sorry been a while since I'v had any problems flashing stuff.
  • 0 Likes