17 votes

Timur's Kernel - USB ROM - Most popular thread on Rootzwiki

• This topic is locked

iceman_jkh

iceman_jkh

Android Lover

• 150 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:57 PM #541

@iceman_jkh, you are missing the point of my post. It is not to sack kudos, but to make crystal clear who else has done a great job.

You are missing the point of mine. :P You are doing monumentus work with the N7 kernel (imho) and that deserves recognition.
You've always been very clear and honest about giving credit where it's due (other devs etc) and I'm simply doing the same. :)
  • 2 Likes

jayman488

jayman488

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:12 PM #542

You probably need the FTDI driver in the kernel, Timur's build doesn't have it by default (hence why I build off Timur's source so I can get the drivers I need in)

Wait the source code is available? Where? I was building modules off of the latest AOSP and was going to just hope it worked and didnt break anything too badly haha.
  • 0 Likes

OP Timur

Timur

Android Master

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:44 PM #543

Sweet! This will make updating easier, flash 1 file and it includes your kernel and all of the other goodies too.

Sweet! This will make updating easier, flash 1 file and it includes your two kernels and all of the other goodies too.
FIFY

Just kidding. I just wanted to say, that I really like CM. Android done right.

Edited by Timur, 01 February 2013 - 05:11 PM.

• 0 Likes

rekd0514

rekd0514

• 19 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:21 PM #544

I'm thinking of using this kernel and getting a Pioneer DEH-80PRS for the USB DAC purposes. I need to have a receiver like this because I run a 3 way active speaker setup with crossovers. The only other way of doing this for me is buying an expensive processor such as the Rockford 3sixty.3.

I want to upgrade my receiver because I want to have bluetooth for in car calling finally. I am still using my Alpine CDA-9887 which doesn't have it unless you buy the overpriced $150 adapter and I've read it still sucks.

I assume since it is a digital USB connection it should be lossless and sound like the original music exactly. The hardest part of the install for me will be the dash modification for my 2002 Toyota Celica GTS, but I definitely have a good spot for it on the upper compartment. (old pic with mock up tweets)

http://i846.photobuc...om/IMG_2231.jpg

Edited by rekd0514, 02 February 2013 - 10:25 AM.

• 0 Likes

OP Timur

Timur

Android Master

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:43 PM #545

For me, the hardest part would also be the dash modification. But I wanted to comment on the sound quality. My initially use case was to connect a USB Ethernet adapter to the N7. Then to have it work for days without interrupt. I only bought a DAC because so many here (and on the old thread) were talking about it. Now I'm a total fan. Yes, it is digital and lossless. But the real magic is in the D/A department. What I like about a good DAC is the true silence between two notes. The total utter nothing. Do you remember, when the first SuperAMOLED screens came out and you were almost falling into the black? This is how a good DAC sounds to me. This total nothing between the notes.
  • 2 Likes

rekd0514

rekd0514

• 19 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:06 PM #546

Yep this is why the Pioneer DEH-80PRS should work very well. It has a 24 bit Burr Brown DAC inside of it. It is a high end receiver for SQ in car audio. It is more expensive obviously, but not that much more if you get it used possibly. It also does more than just what a USB headphone DAC does. It has time alignment, digital processing, EQ, etc.

We also gave you some exposure to the SQ car audio world with this thread.
http://www.diymobile...id-devices.html

Hopefully I will be able to buy some new gear and get working on a N7 dash install to contribute to the thread. Thanks for all the work so far. ;)

Edited by rekd0514, 02 February 2013 - 10:26 AM.

• 1 Likes

kodiack99

kodiack99

Android Lover

• 107 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:32 PM #547

So now Im interested in the dac option as well.What in your opinions is the best value dac that will be compatable?
  • 1 Likes

iceman_jkh

iceman_jkh

Android Lover

• 150 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:38 PM #548

Even though value is totally subjective - just like sound quality - I would suggest one of the following for a cheap and VERY good USB DAC:
1) ~$45AUD HiFimeDIY Sabre (96khz/24bit - ES9023+TE7022 + USB to optical converter) (http://hifimediy.com...t&product_id=83)
2 ~$20AUD ELE-D01 (http://www.ebay.com/...=item1c2b4c51da)
3) ~$50AUD Berhinger UCA202/UFO202 (http://www.behringer...cts/UCA202.aspx)

I've heard good things about all of these devices.
So you really can't go far wrong for less than $50!
I've got the Sabre and I'm pretty happy so far with the limited testing I've done.
  • 0 Likes

nexus-fan

nexus-fan

Android

• 141 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:08 PM #549

@Timur, which USB to ETHERNET adapter do you recommend to buy?

B) Is there any android developer here? for develop small "reverse" app that will implement with EasyCap video device??

Edited by nexus-fan, 01 February 2013 - 11:11 PM.

• 0 Likes

joltman

joltman

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:52 AM #550

@Timur, which USB to ETHERNET adapter do you recommend to buy?

B) Is there any android developer here? for develop small "reverse" app that will implement with EasyCap video device??

This USB hub, specifically made for vehicles, includes a built-in Ethernet adapter.

http://www.mo-co-so....mcs-ram-hub.htm

I have not tried it yet so I'm not sure of the drivers. I'm waiting for a few more parts to come in before I have it wired up. I have no idea how to wire it to my existing wiring in my Tahoe. Plus, I didn't know if I should run new fuses and how to do that.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  • 0 Likes