Rate this Topic

17 votes

Timur's Kernel - USB ROM - Most popular thread on Rootzwiki

• This topic is locked

b0bd

b0bd

• 66 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:13 PM #501

Since everyone else is showing off, here's the current state of my radio app, on the kindle dev tablet (unwanted present!) and an extra directed tuner:

• 5 Likes

Kookie_Monster

Kookie_Monster

Android Master

• 593 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:21 PM #502

Has anyone seen this? http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=2029728
Hot plugging the USB DAC without the need to reboot or use an audio grabber? Timur, have you seen this?

Check this post and poster: http://forum.xda-dev...5&postcount=141 :)

Since everyone else is showing off, here's the current state of my radio app, on the kindle dev tablet (unwanted present!) and an extra directed tuner:

Very nice job!!! Are you considering supporting DVB-T dongles as well?

Edited by Kookie_Monster, 30 January 2013 - 04:24 PM.

• 0 Likes
In-Dash Nexus 7 Project | Mod Shop

Samsung Galaxy SIII LTE 16Gb »» ROM: Stock Android 4.1.2 (Root) »» Kernel: Stock
Asus Transformer TF101 16Gb »» ROM: EOS4 Nightlies »»»»»»»»»»» Kernel: KATKernel
Google Nexus 7 32Gb »»»»»»»»»» ROM: Timur's USBROM »»»»»»»»» Kernel: Timur's Kernel

jayman488

jayman488

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:30 PM #503

As for the USB audio adapter, I dont think audio in works.

If that DVB-T adapter works, then USB audio in must work, right? I think this is the first I've heard of anyone getting audio in through a USB source and outputting it via USB as well (to the DAC).
  • 0 Likes

Kuchar09

Kuchar09

Android Lover

• 137 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:33 PM #504

Thanks for your feedback. Can you imagine your battery actually draining with 500mA input if you were using Wifi tethering instead of bluetooth tethering?

This is effectively what I have come up against; my N7 doesn't really gain much charge when in use, so all the drain from being in sleep mode stacks up until I have to remove it from my car and charge it again.

Oh and this was also while playing music over the DAC powered through the hub though. Think I started out at 90% at the beginning of my 5 hour drive and it stayed there for 3 hours till i turned off the screen and left everything else running, then it charged about 10% in 10 min I believe. (been awhile so I'm not positive on those numbers)
I'm also using copilot for my gps which doesn't use data for navigation, which might also play a role in things.

I wouldn't be surprised if the battery drained from wifi tethering instead of bluetooth, but I haven't checked to know for sure. This is a case where I can see the need for fast charging.

I also lose a ton of battery life when my tablet is in sleep mode, but that's because its so dang cold here right now. That is where my charge switch comes in handy. Basically just turn on the switch and it gives my tablet power when the car is off and I turn off the screen to charge faster.
  • 0 Likes

jayman488

jayman488

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:35 PM #505

I thought you posted a link to the mp3car forums about a guy who created a lib specifically for the BoomzBox AM/FM/HD device? Wouldn't it be more efficient to port that library?

IIRC, the control messages are similar, so it would probably be easy to adapt something that controls the Directed to work with the BoomzBox as well, since all the basic functions are the same, just different byte values. I got the Directed because it was $40 and the BoomzBox is $180, and I didn't want to risk that much on it not even working. The only benefit is you get audio in through USB, which I'm going to try to replicate anyway with that $8 USB audio adapter thingy.
  • 0 Likes

Kuchar09

Kuchar09

Android Lover

• 137 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:39 PM #506

Awesome job!! Thats the kind of layout I'd like for my DVB-T tuner.
Makes me wish we actually had HD channels around here. Unless their website just isn't updated, I don't have any HD channels available.

An audio in for an external mic would probably make my setup complete.

Edited by Kuchar09, 30 January 2013 - 04:41 PM.

• 0 Likes

dcplaya

dcplaya

Android Beginner

• 332 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:52 PM #507

Check this post and poster: http://forum.xda-dev...5&postcount=141 :)

Dang! I didnt see the poster and connect 2 and 2. Sorry!
  • 0 Likes

millab

millab

• 16 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:13 PM #508

Timur, Thanks for your advice, i will try the cables (hope on monday).

Kookie, The cooling just for safety, the temp now (middle of winter!! ) 5-21c (outside), in summer its 29c and as
you know in car the temp much higher.

since i plan to solder the buttons its will be short moding to add cooling, (small raiator and variable fan),
promise to upload some pics.

I would not worry about cooling. last week it was between 35 and 44 degrees every day in my work car park and my tablet mounted in my dash was fine :)
  • 0 Likes

OP Timur

Timur

Android Master

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:05 PM #509

...in 4.1.2 with your kernel, while in OTG host mode and charging simultaneously, my N7 displayed "AC Charging". My understanding is that "AC Charging" means the tablet may draw 2amps. Everything over USB flawlessly (USB DAC, flash drive) while I used 4.1.2 on my N7 in my car.

What you are saying is correct. I found out what I did, that has caused host mode + fast charging to be enabled in this one release. So I'm going to enable this. But with a switch.

Edit: @dcplaya, why not give it a try?

Hey @millab, a nice car park you have there.

Edited by Timur, 30 January 2013 - 07:14 PM.

• 0 Likes

dcplaya

dcplaya

Android Beginner

• 332 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:13 PM #510

Edit: @dcplaya, why not give it a try?

I am out of town so I cant until next week at the earliest
  • 0 Likes