Rate this Topic

17 votes

Timur's Kernel - USB ROM - Most popular thread on Rootzwiki

• This topic is locked

bru

bru

• 18 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:08 PM #41

Video for reference. As you can tell I don't record much. Should've recorded in landscape. hahaha....
  • 0 Likes

jmcguire525

jmcguire525

Android Lover

• 102 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:30 PM #42

I think the problem you are having with the powered usb hub is because there isn't a shared ground, Ive got a diagram on how to make it work but you are better off waiting for the usb audio patch to be finalized that will allow hot plugging the dac whenever you want, meaning when the car is turned back on the dac will connect right away.
  • 0 Likes

MetalMan

MetalMan

Android Lover

• 223 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:51 PM #43

Not that I am aware of, sorry. I must say, I don't remember ever seeing "Charging (AC)" when in USB host mode. In particular not when using my 4.1.2 kernel. (You are referring to the CM 10 patches, I think.) Are you sure, you don't want to share your list of top power consumers with me?

4.2.1 battery usage:
Posted Image

4.2.1 battery usage graph:
Posted Image

4.2.1 with y-splitter, USB DAC plugged into splitter, and stock Nexus 7 charger plugged into splitter:
Posted Image

Today I spent some time going between TWRP backups of 4.1.2 and 4.2.1 (both using the latest versions of your kernel).
The 4.1.2 kernel is your 11-15-12 kernel seen in this post:
http://rootzwiki.com...10#entry1027852
Here is a screenshot showing my 4.1.2 setup, with everything plugged in exactly the same as the above screenshot (and USB DAC functional):
Posted Image

You'll notice it says AC charging, and it does in fact charge at a higher rate.

And in the 45mins I had it booted in 4.1.2, there was no battery drain (my point being that I'm pretty sure 4.1.2 drains less than 4.2.1):
Posted Image

Edited by MetalMan, 28 December 2012 - 02:02 PM.

• 0 Likes

bru

bru

• 18 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:33 AM #44

I think the problem you are having with the powered usb hub is because there isn't a shared ground, Ive got a diagram on how to make it work but you are better off waiting for the usb audio patch to be finalized that will allow hot plugging the dac whenever you want, meaning when the car is turned back on the dac will connect right away.

My DAC actually does connect right away. Currently that is working pretty well for me. My biggest problem on the audio front is the fact that I don't have a working mic while using a DAC. I know there is some kind of patch from JackNorris that might do that. Not sure if it would work on Timur's kernel.

I'd like to see your shared ground diagram if you think that would fix this for me.

Thanks,
bru
  • 0 Likes

shreddedmeat

shreddedmeat

Average Android

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:47 AM #45

I've followed this topic pretty closely over the last few months as I'm intending to buy a Nexus 7 purely for my car, with a DAC and HDD. Sorry if this has already been answered but can anyone verify these mods as working on the N7 3G model as that's what I'll be using (tethering to phone not an option for me).
  • 0 Likes

dlbogdan

dlbogdan

• 44 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:26 PM #46

Can't answer your question (though i tend to answer that it would work just fine) but did you consider having a portable wireless router in your car? There are a few advantages to this, like the ability to get the mifi device with you once you get off and having internet wherever you may be.
  • 0 Likes

nexus-fan

nexus-fan

Android

• 141 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:55 AM #47

Does the cm10.1 + kernel running a little slow??
  • 0 Likes

OP Timur

Timur

Android Master

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:22 PM #48

Looks like USB file system automount has been re-enabled in the latest CM10.1.

Edit: Some time ago I created a fix for the "file system remount after deep sleep" issue. This is not a kernel patch, but one for Android OS. (Which makes it a little difficult to deliver the fix, without a full ROM mod.) Well, this fix does still work. So if you simply wanted to access files on an external file system after the device is waking up from deep sleep, say, using File Manager, this would be possible already. However, there is an issue still, with com.android.music.MediaPlaybackService, which is being used by both Apollo and the old Music app. After waking up from deep sleep, when trying to access files on an external file system, this service does still throw: "android.database.CursorIndexOutOfBoundsException: Index 0 requested, with a size of 0". For now, I just want to document the issue here and say that a solution for it is still needed, before fixed installation people with external hard drives can fully enjoy music playback in normal day to day use.

@shreddedmeat: I never tried this kernel on a N7 3G variant myself. What I can say is that, so far, not one user reported the kernel wouldn't work on the 3G variant. And I also remember one user commenting it would work. So, hopefully YOU can provide a final statement on this question.

Edited by Timur, 31 December 2012 - 03:40 AM.

• 0 Likes

sto1911

sto1911

Average Android

• 5 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:50 AM #49

Hello All,

I am experiencing an issue with the OTG Power kernel.

Setup:
Nexus 7 4.2.1 stock
Several applications restored with Titanium backup
rooted (supersu)

Issue:

Using timur-usbhost-2012-12-23-jb42 (mobile) the device restarts. I am acting as advised, first attaching power to OTG cable, then OTG to device. The device freezes/restarts itself after several seconds, the battery icon does not show if charging has started.
Same happens with timur-usbhost-2012-12-20-jb42.

However, update-boot-jb42-grouper-host-mode-power-usb-audio-2012-11-28 works as designed.

In case more information is needed please ask and I'll try to provide it.
  • 0 Likes

OP Timur

Timur

Android Master

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:56 AM #50

Using timur-usbhost-2012-12-23-jb42 (mobile) the device restarts. I am acting as advised, first attaching power to OTG cable, then OTG to device. The device freezes/restarts itself after several seconds, the battery icon does not show if charging has started.

A similar issue was reported to me recently. Unfortunately, the issue does not leave traces in any log file (neither kernel nor system). It would be helpful, if you could describe, exactly, how you can provoke/repeat the problem. For instance, this is what was recently reported to me:

> If there is power on the cable and devices, everything connected, the
> tablet never crashes on plug in plug out and everything works as expected.
> BUT. If there is just the cable (with sense pin grounded) with absolutely
> nothing connected, the tablet ALWAYS crashes and reboots on plugging out.
But you are also experiencing an issue when power is actually connected to the OTG adapter, correct? And your issue is not related to plugging or pulling off the OTG adapter, or is it?
  • 0 Likes