17 votes

Timur's Kernel - USB ROM - Most popular thread on Rootzwiki

• This topic is locked

MetalMan

MetalMan

Android Lover

• 223 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:05 AM #481

Are you sure about this? I thought using a charging-only cable (data wires shorted) would do the trick.

Ah I must have misunderstood jayman488, you are correct. I was thinking along the lines of enabling fast charging while in OTG mode... On my N7, back when we were on 4.1.2 (and Timur's kernel), fast charging was forced.

This is semi-unrelated, but in the past I was having high-drain issues while the N7 was sleeping. It would drain about 10%/day. Well I switched from EOS4 ROM to ParanoidAndroid 2.99 PIE4 ROM (it has tablet UI!) and did a full wipe in the process, and also installed Timur's 1-29-13 FI kernel, and lastly restored all my apps/data... Now it drains about <5%/day!!
  • 0 Likes

joltman

joltman

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:20 AM #482

Ah I must have misunderstood jayman488, you are correct. I was thinking along the lines of enabling fast charging while in OTG mode... On my N7, back when we were on 4.1.2 (and Timur's kernel), fast charging was forced.

It would be nice to have Fast-Charging enabled when in OTG+Charge mode. Especially, if you're using the mobile kernel.
  • 0 Likes

OP Timur

Timur

Android Master

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:34 AM #483

...but haven't heard anything further.

Not really true. After you posted your request (in a very charming way, btw, I remember well), we exchanged arguments online and I expressed my "beyond spec" concern. I still believe that 2A fast charging *while* doing data communications at the same time (e.g. being in host mode, so the data wires cannot be shorted) may indeed be harmful. Or it may at least not work the way you wish it would. And if it only disrupts communications, what would it be worth? If you can show me good evidence of the contrary, I am willing to change my position and yes, even implement this functionality. But since we started, roughly in October, not a single device has been harmed. And I would really like to keep it this way. Also, when a constant 500mA does not seem enough and as a solution you want to apply more amperage, then this also means that your tablet will run hotter. What, if the better solution (the one within the manufacturer specs) was, to try to find the power hog(s)? I would really like to hear more about apps being identified as power wastes. It may sound boring at first, but it's actually much *cooler* to try to solve the problem this way.
  • 0 Likes

Kookie_Monster

Kookie_Monster

Android Master

• 593 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:51 AM #484

What, if the better solution (the one within the manufacturer specs) was, to try to find the power hog(s)? I would really like to hear more about apps being identified as power wastes. It may sound boring at first, but it's actually much *cooler* to try to solve the problem this way.

There's actually an app that shows this. It's called Battery Stats Plus and has a specific tab that shows the apps that waste power. Has to be running for a few days to be accurate though.

Anyway... that means that even with a data-shorted cable, your kernel will force it to still charge at 500mA? I'm asking due to the power supply configuration I'm considering.
  • 0 Likes
In-Dash Nexus 7 Project | Mod Shop

Samsung Galaxy SIII LTE 16Gb »» ROM: Stock Android 4.1.2 (Root) »» Kernel: Stock
Asus Transformer TF101 16Gb »» ROM: EOS4 Nightlies »»»»»»»»»»» Kernel: KATKernel
Google Nexus 7 32Gb »»»»»»»»»» ROM: Timur's USBROM »»»»»»»»» Kernel: Timur's Kernel

OP Timur

Timur

Android Master

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:56 AM #485

On my N7, back when we were on 4.1.2 (and Timur's kernel), fast charging was forced.

My first patch enabled charging, but the device didn't show this explicitly. Remember? My 2nd patch made the charging visible, but it definitely showed USB and not ACC charging. Soon after we switched to 4.2. I don't remember ever seeing ACC with my kernel, while in host mode.

@Kookie_Monster "...even with a data-shorted cable, your kernel will force it to still charge at 500mA?"

Of course not! If you connect the Asus power supply, the kernel will behave in a fully standard way and will fast charge.

Edited by Timur, 30 January 2013 - 08:57 AM.

• 0 Likes

Kookie_Monster

Kookie_Monster

Android Master

• 593 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:01 AM #486

My first patch enabled charging, but the device didn't show this explicitly. Remember? My 2nd patch made the charging visible, but it definitely showed USB and not ACC charging. Soon after we switched to 4.2. I don't remember ever seeing ACC with my kernel, while in host mode.

@Kookie_Monster "...even with a data-shorted cable, your kernel will force it to still charge at 500mA?"

Of course not! If you connect the Asus power supply, the kernel will behave in a fully standard way and will fast charge.

I'm missing something... even with the power supply connected to the OTG cable on FI?

PS: add this to the OP, if you please! :)

http://rootzwiki.com...n-dash-project/

Edited by Kookie_Monster, 30 January 2013 - 09:01 AM.

• 0 Likes
In-Dash Nexus 7 Project | Mod Shop

Samsung Galaxy SIII LTE 16Gb »» ROM: Stock Android 4.1.2 (Root) »» Kernel: Stock
Asus Transformer TF101 16Gb »» ROM: EOS4 Nightlies »»»»»»»»»»» Kernel: KATKernel
Google Nexus 7 32Gb »»»»»»»»»» ROM: Timur's USBROM »»»»»»»»» Kernel: Timur's Kernel

MetalMan

MetalMan

Android Lover

• 223 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:19 AM #487

Not really true. After you posted your request (in a very charming way, btw, I remember well), we exchanged arguments online and I expressed my "beyond spec" concern. I still believe that 2A fast charging *while* doing data communications at the same time (e.g. being in host mode, so the data wires cannot be shorted) may indeed be harmful. Or it may at least not work the way you wish it would. And if it only disrupts communications, what would it be worth? If you can show me good evidence of the contrary, I am willing to change my position and yes, even implement this functionality. But since we started, roughly in October, not a single device has been harmed. And I would really like to keep it this way. Also, when a constant 500mA does not seem enough and as a solution you want to apply more amperage, then this also means that your tablet will run hotter. What, if the better solution (the one within the manufacturer specs) was, to try to find the power hog(s)? I would really like to hear more about apps being identified as power wastes. It may sound boring at first, but it's actually much *cooler* to try to solve the problem this way.

I just went through all of our "arguments" LOL. And I'd like to say, despite me being a pain-in-the-ass, you are still very responsive and I appreciate that. I bet most developers don't even come close to being as available/helpful/useful as you. And I apologize for not giving you full credit in my last post for the discussions we had

Anyways, when you say that 2A over power + data may be harmful, what do you mean? Are you suggesting that induction from the power wires may reduce the integrity of communications over the data wires?
I cannot provide evidence to the contrary (unfortunately), other than the argument I've brought up in the past: in 4.1.2 with your kernel, while in OTG host mode and charging simultaneously, my N7 displayed "AC Charging". My understanding is that "AC Charging" means the tablet may draw 2amps. Everything over USB flawlessly (USB DAC, flash drive) while I used 4.1.2 on my N7 in my car.

In my last post I suggested that my N7's power hog issues (while sleeping) seem to have abated. But while the tablet is ON, these can be potential power hogs:
-brightness set at 100%
-Netflix (streaming over Wifi connected to my phone's mobile hotspot). I've seen that the tablet doesn't gain any charge while doing this.
-Navigating via GPS, which also requires data over a Wifi connection. (And I might be streaming Pandora/TuneIn Radio at the same time)

Personally I am not concerned about how hot the tablet will get because it will normally be at >90% charge state, which means it will only need to charge an additional 10% at any given time. I don't think fast charging for 10% of the battery will produce enough heat to be worried about.

My last argument (for now): in one of your prior posts you mentioned accidentally plugging in a N7 (with fast charge enabled) into a computer/laptop USB port and potentially damaging that USB port; I think if a person is knowledgeable enough to run a script which enables fast charging, they should also have the state of mind to disable fast charging before plugging into a computer. (or maybe I'm just optimistic for humanity)

If you go back to this post:
http://rootzwiki.com...38#entry1066538
I posted a screenshot of my N7 with your 4.1.2 kernel, a Y-splitting OTG cable, and with a USB DAC and charger plugged in.
If you'd like further proof of this, I'd be happy to revert back to 4.1.2 with one of my TWRP backups and take a video :)

Edited by MetalMan, 30 January 2013 - 09:25 AM.

• 0 Likes

Kuchar09

Kuchar09

Android Lover

• 137 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:19 AM #488

Ok will do!
I went for the Newsky DVB-T USB Receiver because it had such a large tunable range compared to the others I looked at. I just hope it actually works.

Well my DVB-T adapter does work with SDR Touch, here is a little video.
https://www.youtube....h?v=kOj3R8rJMq0

Edited by Kuchar09, 30 January 2013 - 10:25 AM.

• 0 Likes

b0bd

b0bd

• 66 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:56 AM #489

thats actually pretty cool, i might have to play with one of those once I get my HD radio app done
  • 0 Likes

MetalMan

MetalMan

Android Lover

• 223 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:59 PM #490

Because of you, I just bought this adapter. Gotta love Amazon Prime, should have it by Friday. Also downloaded the (free, for now) SDR Touch app and driver app. Hopefully it works just as well for me as it does for you!
  • 0 Likes