17 votes

Timur's Kernel - USB ROM - Most popular thread on Rootzwiki

• This topic is locked

dcplaya

dcplaya

Android Beginner

• 332 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:17 PM #471

Going off what Timur said above, my hub lists a required 3.8A power source (a 7 port hub) and only supplied 500mA to each port no matter what. It can be the only device connected and its still getting 500mA.
  • 0 Likes

jayman488

jayman488

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:30 PM #472

But what I think is always true, is that when you are powering the Y-cable, that there is no more need to power the hub directly.

What I am thinking of is possibly charging the Nexus at 2A from a power supply directly, whereas a hub could only provide 500mA.

Sync with what?

I have a linux box in my house that I store all my media on. I was thinking that when I park in the garage, connect to my home wifi and sync media with the server (new music, pictures, tv shows, etc). The best time to sync would be at night since I may be adding new content to the server during the evening. So if the Nexus could be woken up by the server (wake-on-lan equivalent), or be programmed to wake up at a certain time of day, then provide power to the hard drive, sync everything, then go back to sleep when done, that would be perfect.

Using a power converter with a delay-off would work also, I would just have to wait an extra day for any new music to show up, since it would sync when I get home, not before I leave in the morning.
  • 0 Likes

dcplaya

dcplaya

Android Beginner

• 332 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:38 PM #473

What I am thinking of is possibly charging the Nexus at 2A from a power supply directly, whereas a hub could only provide 500mA.

I have a linux box in my house that I store all my media on. I was thinking that when I park in the garage, connect to my home wifi and sync media with the server (new music, pictures, tv shows, etc). The best time to sync would be at night since I may be adding new content to the server during the evening. So if the Nexus could be woken up by the server (wake-on-lan equivalent), or be programmed to wake up at a certain time of day, then provide power to the hard drive, sync everything, then go back to sleep when done, that would be perfect.

Using a power converter with a delay-off would work also, I would just have to wait an extra day for any new music to show up, since it would sync when I get home, not before I leave in the morning.

You could do this without having Timur create a special kernel (if even possible)

Have your tablet wake up at a specified time using tasker. Lets say 10 PM, it will turn on wifi. At the same time, have some type of low power board (Arduino maybe) wake up a few minutes before. The Arduino will flip a relay on that will allow your USB hub to be powered off of the ACC line (instead of 12V+ switched line), this will allow for the hard drives to get power and when the N7 wakes up, it will see the hard drives and start syncing.
  • 0 Likes

jayman488

jayman488

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:49 PM #474

You could do this without having Timur create a special kernel (if even possible)

Have your tablet wake up at a specified time using tasker. Lets say 10 PM, it will turn on wifi. At the same time, have some type of low power board (Arduino maybe) wake up a few minutes before. The Arduino will flip a relay on that will allow your USB hub to be powered off of the ACC line (instead of 12V+ switched line), this will allow for the hard drives to get power and when the N7 wakes up, it will see the hard drives and start syncing.

I had this exact idea, but the Arduino would need to have a constant power source, wouldn't it? It couldn't be USB powered by the Nexus, so it would have to be wired to the little power jack. I'm guessing it probably doesn't draw enough power to matter though. I should research Arduino power modes.
  • 0 Likes

iceman_jkh

iceman_jkh

Android Lover

• 150 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:53 AM #475

I thought about doing this a while back (when I had a carPC).. but it's scary how slow the WIFI copying is when you get a reasonable distance/location from your router.
My first advice would be to do a test download/sync with the N7 in the actual location (ie:in-dash, in car, etc) it will be in when you park your car each night/day.
I found that it was painfully slow, so much so, that I'm keeping the USB port the HDD exposed, so I can simply disconnect and bring the HDD inside the house, plug into my NAS and quick sync over USB. Then pop it back into the car when I leave.

Edited by iceman_jkh, 30 January 2013 - 02:31 AM.

• 1 Likes

OP Timur

Timur

Android Master

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:07 AM #476

Random thoughts.

- It should not be too difficult, to extend/replace the internal WIFI antenna, if better range (or speed) was a requirement.

- I'm not sure Tasker can wake the N7 from deep sleep. The way to implement this has to be highly Tegra3 specific, I think. I'm not sure this is actually being done yet. Can someone verify?

- How about attaching some car install links to 1st post? DM me a link or post here. But please do me a favor and make sure the link is designed to capture future updates as well. Thanks.
  • 0 Likes

Kookie_Monster

Kookie_Monster

Android Master

• 593 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:45 AM #477

- How about attaching some car install links to 1st post? DM me a link or post here. But please do me a favor and make sure the link is designed to capture future updates as well. Thanks.

Nice idea... I'm gonna create my own thread when I have the time...

Gadgets, material used to mount all the stuff, configurations, software used, UI... I'm hoping it'll help a few people out there. :)
  • 0 Likes
In-Dash Nexus 7 Project | Mod Shop

Samsung Galaxy SIII LTE 16Gb »» ROM: Stock Android 4.1.2 (Root) »» Kernel: Stock
Asus Transformer TF101 16Gb »» ROM: EOS4 Nightlies »»»»»»»»»»» Kernel: KATKernel
Google Nexus 7 32Gb »»»»»»»»»» ROM: Timur's USBROM »»»»»»»»» Kernel: Timur's Kernel

joltman

joltman

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:05 AM #478

I thought about doing this a while back (when I had a carPC).. but it's scary how slow the WIFI copying is when you get a reasonable distance/location from your router.
My first advice would be to do a test download/sync with the N7 in the actual location (ie:in-dash, in car, etc) it will be in when you park your car each night/day.
I found that it was painfully slow, so much so, that I'm keeping the USB port the HDD exposed, so I can simply disconnect and bring the HDD inside the house, plug into my NAS and quick sync over USB. Then pop it back into the car when I leave.

This was my plan as well. Its the easiest method. I I use MediaMonkey and will just pop the SSD out of the USB adapter in the Tahoe and bring it inside to sync new media.

If someone is making am app for HD Radio that works with the BoomzBox that would be spectacular. I'd pay for that app!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  • 0 Likes

MetalMan

MetalMan

Android Lover

• 223 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:47 AM #479

Timur's kernel currently doesn't support higher charging speeds than "USB" charging speeds, so even by supplying 2A the N7 won't nearly reach that. Somewhere I read that the N7 will pull up to 700mA in "USB" charging mode when it's able to.

I've requested from Timur to implement fast charging for his kernel (which could be activated by running a script) but haven't heard anything further. This would enable "AC" charging and thus the N7 would be able to draw 2A.
  • 0 Likes

Kookie_Monster

Kookie_Monster

Android Master

• 593 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:51 AM #480

Timur's kernel currently doesn't support higher charging speeds than "USB" charging speeds, so even by supplying 2A the N7 won't nearly reach that. Somewhere I read that the N7 will pull up to 700mA in "USB" charging mode when it's able to.

I've requested from Timur to implement fast charging for his kernel (which could be activated by running a script) but haven't heard anything further. This would enable "AC" charging and thus the N7 would be able to draw 2A.

Are you sure about this? I thought using a charging-only cable (data wires shorted) would do the trick.
  • 0 Likes
In-Dash Nexus 7 Project | Mod Shop

Samsung Galaxy SIII LTE 16Gb »» ROM: Stock Android 4.1.2 (Root) »» Kernel: Stock
Asus Transformer TF101 16Gb »» ROM: EOS4 Nightlies »»»»»»»»»»» Kernel: KATKernel
Google Nexus 7 32Gb »»»»»»»»»» ROM: Timur's USBROM »»»»»»»»» Kernel: Timur's Kernel