17 votes

Timur's Kernel - USB ROM - Most popular thread on Rootzwiki

• This topic is locked

iceman_jkh

iceman_jkh

Android Lover

• 150 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:26 AM #431

Anyway... I just remembered I wanted to have a way of cutting the power to the N7 even when the ignition is on... which I won't be able to do with the setup I had in mind... unless I use one of these:
My car does this cool trick... it turns on the radio and stuff when I turn on the battery but only turns it off when I open the door, even after removing the key from the ignition. The moment ignition is off a timeout is triggered (don't know for how long) to prevent car battery drain in case I stay in the car. After a while it shuts down..

Mine does that too. I installed a small 'kill switch' hidden under the steering column trim - a toggle switch wired inline with the ACC line - so I can force my (old) stereo to turn off at a moment's notice (eg: PC hangs and plays really loud windows shutdown noise repeatedly :P ). Also handy when lending the car to people/taking it to the mechanic, where I don't want people being able to turn the stereo on or mess around with it.
  • 0 Likes

dcplaya

dcplaya

Android Beginner

• 332 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:53 AM #432

There actually is a few ways to get apps to launch from a key press, you need to use an app called external keyboard helper to set keyboard short cuts. Such as alt + M to launch google maps n what not. I also have the joycon exr set up to launch the app for a backup cam but broke my cam when i was running the wires so I have to order a new one. I'll go take a video real quick.

For those worried about overheating why not just mount a fan, that's what I did. Drove 9 hours with no problems of over heating or freezing.

What app/ webcam do you use for this to work?
  • 0 Likes

Kookie_Monster

Kookie_Monster

Android Master

• 593 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:59 AM #433

What app/ webcam do you use for this to work?

Check out his thread at XDA! ^_^

http://forum.xda-dev...ighlight=webcam

Edit: check this one too.

http://forum.xda-dev...ighlight=webcam

Edited by Kookie_Monster, 28 January 2013 - 08:00 AM.

• 0 Likes
In-Dash Nexus 7 Project | Mod Shop

Samsung Galaxy SIII LTE 16Gb »» ROM: Stock Android 4.1.2 (Root) »» Kernel: Stock
Asus Transformer TF101 16Gb »» ROM: EOS4 Nightlies »»»»»»»»»»» Kernel: KATKernel
Google Nexus 7 32Gb »»»»»»»»»» ROM: Timur's USBROM »»»»»»»»» Kernel: Timur's Kernel

nexus-fan

nexus-fan

Android

• 141 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:34 PM #434

Your links refer to usb cam.
  • 0 Likes

dcplaya

dcplaya

Android Beginner

• 332 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:51 PM #435

Yea, unfortunately all the rear backup cameras for my car are all coax signals.
  • 0 Likes

Kookie_Monster

Kookie_Monster

Android Master

• 593 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:11 PM #436

Yea, unfortunately all the rear backup cameras for my car are all coax signals.

True... only nexus-fan can save us from the webcams. lol

How's the easycap issue going nexus-fan?

Edit: doing a quick search I found this:

http://linuxtv.org/w...Stk1160#Drivers

https://bitbucket.or...sycap?at=master

Now... I don't own an easycap dongle, so I can't do any testing or experiments on it. Maybe someone who has one...

Edited by Kookie_Monster, 28 January 2013 - 02:16 PM.

• 0 Likes

Samsung Galaxy SIII LTE 16Gb »» ROM: Stock Android 4.1.2 (Root) »» Kernel: Stock
Asus Transformer TF101 16Gb »» ROM: EOS4 Nightlies »»»»»»»»»»» Kernel: KATKernel
Google Nexus 7 32Gb »»»»»»»»»» ROM: Timur's USBROM »»»»»»»»» Kernel: Timur's Kernel

Kuchar09

Kuchar09

Android Lover

• 137 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:32 PM #437

I plan to use a usb cam just because that what I know will work and didn't want to mess with coax converter. Just take the usb cam apart and find a way to mount it. Should have mine mounted in less than 2 weeks now that I have my webcam working again.

• 1 Likes

Kookie_Monster

Kookie_Monster

Android Master

• 593 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:48 PM #438

I plan to use a usb cam just because that what I know will work and didn't want to mess with coax converter. Just take the usb cam apart and find a way to mount it. Should have mine mounted in less than 2 weeks now that I have my webcam working again.

Nice going!!

PS: man... I love that blue dashboard lighting!! :D
  • 1 Likes

OP Timur

Timur

Android Master

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:57 PM #439

I still need to update to your most recent kernel which might fix the restart issue I had in the video. Maybe even the static issue, but I doubt that. :P

Were you able to solve these issues? A kernel update will most likely not fix your static noise issue. Maybe you found another way?

Edit: And why not talk a bit about the webcam setup. Did you install additional drivers?

Edited by Timur, 28 January 2013 - 08:13 PM.

• 0 Likes

Kuchar09

Kuchar09

Android Lover

• 137 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:42 PM #440

Were you able to solve these issues? A kernel update will most likely not fix your static noise issue. Maybe you found another way?

Edit: And why not talk a bit about the webcam setup. Did you install additional drivers?

No additional drivers needed just this APK.

I then set reverse lights to act as a camera button using the joycon and editing the keylayout files. I have the camera button set to open the apk in tasker instead of the camera on the tablet its self. I might change this though and set it up like i have my other buttons for apps. Depending what I have to do to make it automatically close when taking out of reverse.

I haven't tried to fix the static issue yet since I want to tear my dash apart once and do everything together, which I am currently waiting on a DVB-T tuner and another hub to do so since I ran out of USB ports. Really hoping the SDR Tuner app works so I can have my FM stations instead of streaming.

The only thing I can think of to try and fix my static issue is wire it to constant power and see if that helps. Since I don't want everything connected to my hub to have power 24/7 I going to do like I did before except have one hub have constant power and the other to be connected to my ignition. This is assuming I can run 2 USB hubs in series with separate power sources, which I believe should work.

This way I have enough usb ports and can also have my flash drive, webcam, DVB-T tuner, and Joycon turn on with my ignition.

Honestly if giving the DAC constant power doesn't fix my static issue I'm not really sure what I'm going to do.

Oh and no I don't think I've had any crashes lately, not like they happened that often before.
Keep up the great work and thanks a TON!!!

Edited by Kuchar09, 28 January 2013 - 08:47 PM.

• 0 Likes