Rate this Topic

17 votes

Timur's Kernel - USB ROM - Most popular thread on Rootzwiki

• Please log in to reply

dna59

dna59

• 39 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:42 PM #4021

I have both of these same issues.  I am speculating that it has to do something with PowerEvent occurring when I stop at the mailbox on my way home from work as I have to turn the car off to get the mail (key on keyring...can be remedied with removable key if needed); same issue sometimes if I run in a gas station for a drink real quick.  I believe there is a "time limit" that must be allowed for PowerEvent to occur - but need someone more familiar here to chime in.  I am considering changing the "timeout" on my DCDC-USB to 60 seconds to alleviate this issue for this quick events, however, I really do not want the screen staying on in my car and/or music playing for 60 seconds after I turn the key off....  Need another alternative.

When this occurs to me, my DAC does still show up in the HostMode devices.

As with you my second problem would occur when i run into somewhere quick and come back out and start up again.

• 0 Likes

Chocobo2k

Chocobo2k

Average Android

• 9 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:30 PM #4022

You may have read a couple pages back, that Timur has no intention to further develop this ROM, including on the 2013 N7. While I will certainly miss his updates, I'm quite happy with my current setup! There is another member here working to develop off of Timur's USB ROM, so it seems life will go on :goodcry:

Well, I contacted Timur directly last night and he's interested to see if other people would be interested in a port for the Nexus 7 2013. Crowdsourcing would be a way to support him get it there. Would anyone here be interested in that? Please write it in this post. I'm willing to support further development of this project as new hardware is better and I like supporting the devs.

BTW, who's the other member working on something similar ? :)

• 2 Likes

xapt3r5

xapt3r5

Android Lover

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:50 PM #4023

Well, now that you mentioned it, I once actually considered selling my 2012 Tilapia, somewhere in the nearest future, and get a brand new 2013 N7, if a fully customizable USB host mode rom would come up, for it. Needless to say, I would definitely support its development.

Edited by xapt3r5, 24 September 2013 - 07:51 PM.

• 0 Likes

xapt3r5's In-dash project - Symphonynexus

Devices:

Ainol Novo7 Tab Aurora 2 | ROM: CyanogenMod 10.2

Google Nexus 7 32GB 3G (Tilapia) | ROM: Timur's USB rom (CM 10.1 based)

tbenzo300

tbenzo300

Average Android

• 2 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:12 PM #4024

Hello all...

I am very much interested in having the same functionality on my 2013 Nexus 7 as well!

I have emailed Timur with my interest in his continued effort for this cause, along with my intenet of offering compensation for his efforts.  Have received no reply though...

For the record, I have rooted and installed a nightly of CM 10.2 on my 2013 device, and the USB audio works flawlessly.  Unfortunately without charging facilities though.

I can work towards fabricating a custom base with a QI wireless charging element incorporated within it, but it would be more elegant if the charging worked over the USB cable thats being used anyway.

Please post with further info regarding this project.

Regards

• 0 Likes

sara

sara

• 24 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:08 AM #4025

I do not know if you are still looking for pictures for your gallery And while my install was inspired by (and started as) the Timur option; mine uses a completely stock, unrooted N7. I have OTG and charging support, a rear view camera (triggered by the revers gear), a USB DVB-T SDR, 'external' microphone, etc. So far I have solved all issues with hardware (and play store apps), so I am ready for 4.4 and beyond. 

F350before_zps16db8126.jpg

F350N7mount_zpscc777455.jpg

F350rearviewcam_zps0ccca1e1.jpg

F350N7FIJB43_zpsc14c086e.jpg

• 2 Likes

barnesk9

barnesk9

Android Beginner

• 36 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:08 AM #4026

I do not know if you are still looking for pictures for your gallery And while my install was inspired by (and started as) the Timur option; mine uses a completely stock, unrooted N7. I have OTG and charging support, a rear view camera (triggered by the revers gear), a USB DVB-T SDR, 'external' microphone, etc. So far I have solved all issues with hardware (and play store apps), so I am ready for 4.4 and beyond. 

That's an awesome job. How did you hook up the rearview camera? also how well do the mics work when the car is in on and moving down the road?

• 1 Likes

Benjamin99

Benjamin99

• 36 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:21 AM #4027

I personally (and I'm sure others) would be interested to see a full build thread on this somewhere.  If this is truly possible to have all this functionality with "hardware", it would be an intriguing concept - so please share it in detail!!  I'm not a fan of these "teasers"..

• 1 Likes

sara

sara

• 24 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:28 AM #4028

That's an awesome job. How did you hook up the rearview camera? also how well do the mics work when the car is in on and moving down the road?

The head unit mic (bluetoothed to the phone for phone calls) is rarely used, but I have not had any trouble with it. The mic set-up for the N7 works better (in all conditions) than before it was mounted. The microphone 'interface' is (way) old school (think stethoscope or the original way you used to have headphones on an airplane); I simply ran a piece of 1/4"ID from my dash opening to a flare fitting mounted through the back cover of the N7 and cupped onto one of the internal mics. I tried other ideas, but I am so happy with this method, that I overlook the fact that I am talking to a machine. I use it with both Google's built in voice recognition, and with Dragon Mobile Assistant.

For the rear view camera.... I considered using the very pricey FEBON 100 (with a standard back-up camera), but was not sure how often I would even use/need the camera, so I started with a web cam (Logitech HD C270) and the "USB Camera" app. I attached a 180 degree lens (think $5.00 add on cell phone camera lens) to the web cam and sealed the whole assembly in a custom made plexiglass box mounted to the underside of the bumper. I am taking advantage of the N7's magnetic sensor (and Tasker), along with a electromagnet connected to the reverse lights (and the back of the N7), to open and close the camera app (I was/am using a similar electromagnet arrangement to wake/sleep the N7, which I was discussing with lownslow200sx, when he mentioned using this method for the reverse camera, I tried it and like it better than the automated external keyboard method I was using).

cameramount_zps9f2d2fed.jpg

• 0 Likes

sara

sara

• 24 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:01 AM #4029

I personally (and I'm sure others) would be interested to see a full build thread on this somewhere.  If this is truly possible to have all this functionality with "hardware", it would be an intriguing concept - so please share it in detail!!  I'm not a fan of these "teasers"..

Sorry about the "teasers." I really do not have time to post/maintain a thread with all the details (and I certainly do not want to hijack this thread). My hope is that either someone else (with the time) will take the ideas and take off with it; and/or that some of these Ideas would be helpful in conjunction with Timur's mods. I sent you, and several others the PM I copied below. Only two people asked more detailed questions, which I answered. One plans is to use a 2013 N7, the other is working on the 4.3 ROM/kernel compatibility.

If what I am describing is well within your (or anyone's) 'knowledge base' then it is pretty simple to implement and figure out. However, if 'electronics is not your thing' then a fully detailed description is never going to be as "plug and play" as Timur's work is. I love math and solving all things electronic, writing code is not my thing. I am impressed by those that like code, but I choose a different route, and when I saw Timur pull out (and lots of people wondering about the 2013 N7) I decided to offer some encouragement to anyone with the knowledge/skill to take advantage of the work I had done. My apologies to anyone (especially Timur) if this is not the place for offering my input. Again, if anyone wants to open a public thread, please do (and let me know how I can help).

Previously PM'd to to those interested:

"

I am using an external PS (instead of the N7's PS). I tried it without the battery (simulating its existence), but experienced some issues occasionally when cranking the engine (I also tried an external charger with some custom isolation circuitry, but it was unnecessarily complicated). I am very happy with a simple DC-DC converter (always on) connected directly to the N7's battery. I am using 4.00v (this is the best compromise I have found, but if you know a LOT about the electrochemistry of lithium batteries then you can choose your own voltage, for your own reasons (just make sure you really know what you are doing).

As far as the wake/sleep issue: I am taking advantage of the N7's built in "proximity" sensor (think old school reed switch); this activated using a magnet. It was designed for a cover with a hinged lid (and a sewn in magnet). I was able to get this to work in two ways. The first is with a constant duty solenoid moving a magnet when the car accessories were on, and returning it when the accessories where off. The second is with a homemade electromagnet that is active (using less than 25ma) when the accessories are off, and is off when the accessories are active. Both work flawlessly and both take very little real estate behind the tablet. (Another option would be to connect directly to the internal sensor your choice). No matter how anyone chooses to use this method you CAN use apps to sleep the tablet, but it is not strictly necessary if they use the external PS for the battery.

For sound, I was not satisfied with the quality of either the bluetooth or the headphone jack; I was also not a big fan of the external DAC's I tried, however I am more than satisfied with pogo (internal DAC) output. Using the pogo created a need/opportunity for another interface. This works out well for me. I use the proximity sensor to wake/sleep the tablet with the insertion of the key; and I use the pogo 5v (input sent from the activation of my head unit) to activate the "fixed install" home screen and related apps (this allows me to effortlessly use the tablet in two modes, if I want). I can also use the tablet independent of the head unit with a cheap separate amp and speakers (the options here are endless and VERY useful).

I am using the OTG for and external drive, a back-up camera, DVB-T SDR, etc. I am using a powered hub, but tried it with an un-powered and had no issues.

Need an external microphone? Ever use a stethoscope? Are you old enough to remember when airplane headsets where just hollow tubes you stuck in your ears? Or maybe you have seen or used an old school pilot's microphone? I ask all that because, while the "technology" is OLD, it DOES work. And that is the principle I used for my external microphone; I enlarged one of the mic holes (inserted a flared fitting from the inside - which keeps everything in place nicely) and attached a 1/4" tube to the outside of the tablet. I ran the other side of the tube to an existing opening in the dash. I was not sure how well it would work, but it works BETTER than an unmodified N7 does just sitting in font of me.

I choose to go with this mod for my own reasons, but I have all this working on a UNrooted N7 running 4.3, and fully ready for 4.4 the day it is pushed. However, any, or all, these things will work with rooted tablets (any) and with custom ROM's/kernels; to me the beauty of using hardware solutions to work around a software problem (that was my goal/challenge)."

• 1 Likes

OP Timur

Timur

Android Master

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:43 AM #4030

As with you my second problem would occur when i run into somewhere quick and come back out and start up again.

How quick is quickIt sounds as if your N7 does not properly fall into deep sleep mode (LP0) quickly enough. It should fall into sleep mode in 30 seconds. (It may sometimes take a little longer, maybe up to a minute. Sleep mode happens after the screen has gone off.) It is usually a little difficult to tell, if the N7 has really fallen into sleep mode. You may want to check our discussion about "LP0" mode on page 12: http://rootzwiki.com...ug-2013/page-12

A N7 will only (re-)scan for USB devices, when it wakes from sleep (or when re-plugging the USB cable). If you re-apply external power to your N7 (as well as to the connected peripheral devices) before it has fallen into sleep mode, the screen will turn back on, but it won't scan for USB devices. The apps you run before pulling external power, can have a negative impact on the to-sleep transition. Some apps may hold certain "wake locks", that will prevent (or postpone) deep sleep http://is.gd/llVtHK from taking place.

• 0 Likes