17 votes

Timur's Kernel - USB ROM - Most popular thread on Rootzwiki

• This topic is locked

OP Timur

Timur

Android Master

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:51 AM #371

Non-responsive... got it. Makes sense now! ^_^

Yeah! Started looking for a solution to this in October last year, together with user dmexs http://rootzwiki.com...ly/page__st__60 (#61) Good old times. Having found a solution is really a big deal.
  • 0 Likes

Kookie_Monster

Kookie_Monster

Android Master

• 593 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:55 AM #372

Yeah! Started looking for a solution to this in October last year, together with user dmexs http://rootzwiki.com...ly/page__st__60 (#61) Good old times. Having found a solution is really a big deal.

I read that thread thoroughly back then. This post was a real deal breaker for me: http://rootzwiki.com..._60#entry994816 lol
  • 0 Likes
In-Dash Nexus 7 Project | Mod Shop

Samsung Galaxy SIII LTE 16Gb »» ROM: Stock Android 4.1.2 (Root) »» Kernel: Stock
Asus Transformer TF101 16Gb »» ROM: EOS4 Nightlies »»»»»»»»»»» Kernel: KATKernel
Google Nexus 7 32Gb »»»»»»»»»» ROM: Timur's USBROM »»»»»»»»» Kernel: Timur's Kernel

nexus-fan

nexus-fan

Android

• 141 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:03 AM #373

I hope so to. But tell me something... do you notice any change at all on your N7 when you turn on the ignition?

No change at all.
  • 0 Likes

Kookie_Monster

Kookie_Monster

Android Master

• 593 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:11 AM #374

No change at all.

Something went definitely wrong! :|

Some people have reported problems on the internal battery connector. One other problem might be the fact that it discharged completely. Apparently pressing the power button for about 30 seconds does the trick. The down side to it is that you'll really have to unmount it from your car.

Check these threads:

http://androidforums...ont-charge.html

http://forums.androi...oss-screen.html

Edited by Kookie_Monster, 25 January 2013 - 09:14 AM.

• 0 Likes

Samsung Galaxy SIII LTE 16Gb »» ROM: Stock Android 4.1.2 (Root) »» Kernel: Stock
Asus Transformer TF101 16Gb »» ROM: EOS4 Nightlies »»»»»»»»»»» Kernel: KATKernel
Google Nexus 7 32Gb »»»»»»»»»» ROM: Timur's USBROM »»»»»»»»» Kernel: Timur's Kernel

dlbogdan

dlbogdan

• 44 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:48 AM #375

wow. I haven't checked this thread for a while and today.. boom! the last thing missing is finally here.

fastboot oem off-mode-charge 0
Changes everything!

Now I just need to figure out how to run the tablet without a battery. I'm afraid it would explode in the summer days here.. very hot sometimes. A lot of exploding phones stories :)
  • 0 Likes

AnyHertz

AnyHertz

• 29 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:01 AM #376

Timur,

I could not reproduce any of the issues seen earlier with your 01-24 mobile stock kernel. Many thanks for your dedication and job well done!

Now my Nexus 7 is almost perfect...

Thank you again!
  • 0 Likes

iceman_jkh

iceman_jkh

Android Lover

• 150 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:54 PM #377

Glad you ask. I would implement the battery-disconnect switch, so in the case of a non-responsive device (and power button being not accessible), I could turn off ignition and hit the switch, to disconnect all power from the tablet, to make it shutdown and (due to off-mode-charge 0) reboot.

Not that my kernel would require this. My kernel reboots itself.

Got it. :)
My idea was to achieve the same outcome, but cos I misunderstood how off-mode-charge worked, I didn't realise you'd need to disconnect the battery, rather than the AC/USB power. Thanks for clearing that up. :)
  • 0 Likes

Keiththevp

Keiththevp

Average Android

• 1 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:46 PM #378

Now I just need to figure out how to run the tablet without a battery. I'm afraid it would explode in the summer days here.. very hot sometimes. A lot of exploding phones stories :)

Run without a battery:

1) Charge the battery to full
2) Remove the battery and test voltage ... around 4.8 to 5v
3) Get a 12v DC to 5v DC power supply/converter
4) Connect the 12v side of power supply to vehicle ignition
5) Connect the 5v side to the battery connector on tablet

Enjoy battery free operation that boots every time you start the car and shuts down every time you turn off the car.

Only thing I am not sure about is if you were to remove power from the tablet abruptly, without going through the normal power down procedure it may end up messing up apps and or the OS. I guess that really depends on how stable android really is when power is cut.

Edit: Don't buy a cheap unregulated power supply for this application because if the voltage goes too high it will fry the tablet. As long as the PSU is regulated to stay at 5v =/- .2v you will be fine.

Edited by Keiththevp, 25 January 2013 - 03:51 PM.

• 0 Likes

nexus-fan

nexus-fan

Android

• 141 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:52 PM #379

Ok, good news, i unmount the tablet alone without any damage to car :P but
also its was very painful process to "revive" the tablet ,
its doesnt matter how many time the tablet will restart... and shutdown becuase no battery (loop of restarts) its
doesnt charging, in bootloader\recovery its doesnt charging too.

So i disabled the off-mode and just after that i succedd to charge the N7.

I consider to connect parallel battery.
  • 0 Likes

Kookie_Monster

Kookie_Monster

Android Master

• 593 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:56 PM #380

Ok, good news, i unmount the tablet alone without any damage to car :P but
also its was very painful process to "revive" the tablet ,
its doesnt matter how many time the tablet will restart... and shutdown becuase no battery (loop of restarts) its
doesnt charging, in bootloader\recovery its doesnt charging too.

So i disabled the off-mode and just after that i succedd to charge the N7.

I consider to connect parallel battery.

Glad it's ok! :)

Did you try booting it to recovery? I think that while on recovery (or bootloader) it's supposed to charge with almost no battery drain.
  • 0 Likes