Rate this Topic

17 votes

Timur's Kernel - USB ROM - Most popular thread on Rootzwiki

• This topic is locked

OP Timur

Timur

Android Master

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:57 AM #331

Not sure this is the same based on the explanation on your blog as I attempted to pause and play multiple times which should have allowed a new audio session to be established with the DAC. The reboot fixed it, and frankly if I need to reboot every now and then, it's not really an issue for me.

I will add the following to my blog to clarify:

Allowing a music app to continue sending an old (unpaused) audio stream to a newly restarted USB DAC, can temporary destabilize all communications between the two components. Pausing and unpausing now, may not be able to resolve the issue anymore. In some situations the problem will resolve itself over time. In other situations, killing the Music player process (or switching to a different music app) will be the only way back to normal operations. All this can be resolved by stopping all audio going to the USB DAC, before it will restart. Installation of a dedicated Android service can solve this issue reliably.

I think you will hear more about this Android service, if you stick around here a little longer.

Edited by Timur, 24 January 2013 - 12:10 PM.

• 0 Likes

b0bd

b0bd

• 66 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:15 PM #332

I wrote a simple app - "grabfocus" and I think I have it working, well it worked 3 times in a row in the jeep - its a frigid 14 out so I didn't want to spend too much time on it.

If you guys want to try it out, install http://www.midml.com...b/grabfocus.apk

I've updated the grabfocus.apk to listen for power removal events, so it doesnt need to be a Tasker task. I havent tested it myself in the jeep though, just on a kindle I use for development, so I'd love anyone to try it out. Basically just install the apk. Note: the app does not need to be running, it will be started by Android when it broadcasts the power loss event.
  • 3 Likes

iceman_jkh

iceman_jkh

Android Lover

• 150 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:28 PM #333

fastboot oem off-mode-charge 1

As a psuedo fix to the inaccessible POWER button, could you issue the above command when battery goes to < =3% (and set it to 0 when battery >3%)?
Perhaps this could be done via tasker (or even the kernel)? This would at least protect those who can't access their power buttons.

Edited by iceman_jkh, 24 January 2013 - 01:30 PM.

• 0 Likes

dcplaya

dcplaya

Android Beginner

• 332 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:33 PM #334

As a psuedo fix to the inaccessible POWER button, could you issue the above command when battery goes to < =3% (and set it to 0 when battery >3%)?
Perhaps this could be done via tasker (or even the kernel)? This would at least protect those who can't access their power buttons.

This is a fastboot setting. It still allows the device to charge. The only thing it changes is when there is power applied to the N7 USB port AND the device is was previously off, the device immediately powers up into full Android and starts charging as well.
  • 0 Likes

jmcguire525

jmcguire525

Android Lover

• 102 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:37 PM #335

I've updated the grabfocus.apk to listen for power removal events, so it doesnt need to be a Tasker task. I havent tested it myself in the jeep though, just on a kindle I use for development, so I'd love anyone to try it out. Basically just install the apk. Note: the app does not need to be running, it will be started by Android when it broadcasts the power loss event.

LOVE IT!
  • 0 Likes

OP Timur

Timur

Android Master

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:40 PM #336

I've updated the grabfocus.apk to listen for power removal events, so it doesnt need to be a Tasker task.

Great! Do you allow me to link to it? Can you create a web page, explaining what this does?
  • 0 Likes

Kookie_Monster

Kookie_Monster

Android Master

• 593 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:16 PM #337

Disregard - ill apply the boot mod tonight.

Yep... that's probably your best option! :)

Awesome job!! :)

Can't wait to buy all the stuff I need and mount this baby on my Cruze! :D

Edited by Kookie_Monster, 24 January 2013 - 02:25 PM.

• 0 Likes
In-Dash Nexus 7 Project | Mod Shop

Samsung Galaxy SIII LTE 16Gb »» ROM: Stock Android 4.1.2 (Root) »» Kernel: Stock
Asus Transformer TF101 16Gb »» ROM: EOS4 Nightlies »»»»»»»»»»» Kernel: KATKernel
Google Nexus 7 32Gb »»»»»»»»»» ROM: Timur's USBROM »»»»»»»»» Kernel: Timur's Kernel

dcplaya

dcplaya

Android Beginner

• 332 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:16 PM #338

I used the updated GrabFocus.apk and it seems to work wonderful! You have no idea it is even running. Its like Android now works with the DAC as it should! Great job b0bd.
  • 1 Likes

Kuchar09

Kuchar09

Android Lover

• 137 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:18 PM #339

Here is a little video of the static issue I sometime have with turning on the car. This is basically the only issue I have with my setup I want to figure out when it gets warmer out.
I still need to update to your most recent kernel which might fix the restart issue I had in the video. Maybe even the static issue, but I doubt that. :P

Here is a little video I put together of the tablet in action.

• 0 Likes

iceman_jkh

iceman_jkh

Android Lover

• 150 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:34 PM #340

This is a fastboot setting. It still allows the device to charge. The only thing it changes is when there is power applied to the N7 USB port AND the device is was previously off, the device immediately powers up into full Android and starts charging as well.

That's the point isn't it? (unless I misunderstood)
For those users who don't have access to their power buttons, and if their n7 goes flat (and is then in an off state when power is applied), this would turn their device on.
  • 0 Likes