Timur's Kernel - USB ROM - Most popular thread on Rootzwiki

• This topic is locked

nexus-fan

nexus-fan

Android

• 141 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:38 PM #21

hi Bru,
Which kernel do you use?? CM10.1, stock....

EDIT: I read again, as i understand you tried both.

Edited by nexus-fan, 24 December 2012 - 09:40 PM.

• 0 Likes

bru

bru

• 18 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:20 PM #22

Mobile seems closest to what I need, as it allows the USB devices to be used after removing power to the N7 (albeit the blip in connectivity).

I think that would work for me, except when I turn back on the power, it doesn't seem to be charging anymore.
  • 0 Likes

dlbogdan

dlbogdan

• 44 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:14 AM #23

The USB hub I'm planning on using will have a 20 minute shut off delay so that when I shutoff the car, it will still have power for 20 minutes. Theoretically, I was planning on having the power to the N7 tied to the ignition. [/background][/font][/color]

Hi,

I'm interested in this kind of functionality as well. What kind of hub are you using?

Edited by dlbogdan, 25 December 2012 - 02:17 AM.

• 0 Likes

Kuchar09

Kuchar09

Android Lover

• 137 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 07:58 AM #24

Just wanted to let you know how happy I am to see someone actually making special kernels for use doing a fixed install! Getting ready yo install mine running 4.1.x on faux kernel and just noticed I lose my USB host after deep sleep so looked like I'm going to need to make the jump to 4.2 now that there is USB host charging and no deep sleep issues with your kernel.
Now hopefully I can still use stickmount pro to auto mount my music and I'll be golden.

Edited by Kuchar09, 25 December 2012 - 08:09 AM.

• 0 Likes

OP Timur

Timur

Android Master

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:07 PM #25

The USB hub I'm planning on using will have a 20 minute shut off delay so that

Where is the power coming from during those 20 minutes?

Mobile seems closest to what I need, as it allows the USB devices to be used after removing power to the N7 (albeit the blip in connectivity).
I think that would work for me, except when I turn back on the power, it doesn't seem to be charging anymore.

While N7 is sending battery power to slave (using the mobile use case kernel), it will not be able to detect external power returning on the same wires. The fixed install variant will never power slave devices, so it can at any time detect external power.
  • 0 Likes

kodiack99

kodiack99

Android Lover

• 107 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:35 PM #26

So when you say the n7 wont charge after...after what?After power comes back on or for the twenty minute duration the hub is still powered?
  • 0 Likes

bru

bru

• 18 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:01 PM #27

Hi,

I'm interested in this kind of functionality as well. What kind of hub are you using?

http://store.mp3car....v_p/adt-015.htm
  • 0 Likes

bru

bru

• 18 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:24 PM #28

Where is the power coming from during those 20 minutes?

From the car battery. The hub will basically know when the ignition goes off, keep drawing power for another 20 minutes, then shut off.

While N7 is sending battery power to slave (using the mobile use case kernel), it will not be able to detect external power returning on the same wires. The fixed install variant will never power slave devices, so it can at any time detect external power.

Let me try to break down my observations of each kernel type, and how it is problematic in relation to my install.

Fixed:
  • Reliably detects power on and off (good)
  • When N7 is unplugged from power, USB devices on the hub are no longer connected (bad)
  • This kernel type would work for me if the USB devices stayed connected after power went away to the N7
Mobile:
  • USB devices redetected after a short blip when I remove power to the N7 (good!)
  • When N7 is plugged back into power, no charge icon or detection of power (bad)
  • If i remember correctly, I also lose USB device connection when plugging back in (bad)
  • This kernel type would work for the installation if it could reliably detect power and USB connections when plugging back in

So after re-examining behaviors, I'd say that fixed is actually closer to working for me. My main goal is to have the USB devices (mainly the external hard drive) still be accessible for a little while after the power goes away. I'm planning on tying an rsync event to the power down tasker profile to sync my music collection.
  • 0 Likes

OP Timur

Timur

Android Master

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:38 AM #29

• When N7 is unplugged from power, USB devices on the hub are no longer connected (bad)
  • This kernel type would work for me if the USB devices stayed connected after power went away to the N7

I don't understand. Can you explain in more detail?
  • 0 Likes

MetalMan

MetalMan

Android Lover

• 223 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:59 AM #30

My N7 stays at "100% full" all the time, with screen + wifi + BT turned on. After an over night sleep (no power supplied), the battery goes from 95% to 100% in just a few minutes. Rather than trying to supply more power, you should try to find the root cause of the issue. A single misbehaving app can easily ruin all power management. Does your tablet run warm? What's on top of your power consumer list?

If you urgently need to activate fast charging, with the OTG adapter being connected to the tablet, you could try to short the Data pins using a manual switch. I don't think it will, but, you never know, this *might* harm your devices.

Over night (about 10 hours) my N7 lost about 5% of charge. It sits in my car all day and rarely gets taken out. And I don't usually spend more than about 40 minutes in my car each day with the ignition on (only time the N7 charges).
So I lose about 12% charge per day; my N7 has been in my car for 5-6 days; it charges about 5% per day (if I have turned on the ignition); and now it has about 50% charge.

If I could enable fast charge to charge at 2amps instead of 0.5amp then my charge percentage would be 20% instead of 5% per day, which would exceed the 12%/day drain while idle.

Is there a way to enable fast charging with your kernel while in OTG mode? This was standard in your 4.1.2 kernel.
  • 0 Likes