Rate this Topic

17 votes

Timur's Kernel - USB ROM - Most popular thread on Rootzwiki

• This topic is locked

b0bd

b0bd

• 66 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:12 PM #271

As much as I like a clean answer, using tasker seems pretty much essential in a fixed install so that you can shutdown wifi/gps/bt/nav so much like dcplaya, I'm pretty close to being happy, though I haven't noticed the mic bug, not so clean :)
  • 0 Likes

joltman

joltman

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:13 PM #272

What, if it was necessary to package a complete USB-Host+USB-Audio solution, in form of a full ROM (kernel+system), rather than just a kernel? A full ROM (based on CM10.1?) could come with audio hot-plug and power loss service already included. It could provide a few other gimmicks, like a dedicated settings pane, allowing you to switch kernels at runtime from mobile-use to FI and back. And let you check the list of registered USB devices. Would this be interesting? Or do you strongly prefer to use USB kernel with your individually selected ROM. Just hypothetically asking.

Timur,

I truly appreciate the work you've done on the both of the kernels you're offering. If you're asking for opinions, I think the way you're doing it now is great. I just wish the CM Team would take your patches upstream. I think it would make it easier on you. However, it's almost sounding like the only way this will work with hot-plugging and mic would be a ROM. It's not possible with an app or a widget? Something that can be controlled via Tasker?

I will be moving to CM10.1 once they add in the (rumored) 4.2.2 patches for Bluetooth. Having a ROM based on CM is kind of scary because CM changes so often. That just seems like a lot more work on you. And you're already doing a ton. And I suppose trying to upstream these requests directly to CM's codebase is kind of a no go? Every CM10.1 device would need the options added you're talking about, and have kernel support for USB DAC. Or am I completely off-base?
  • 0 Likes

OP Timur

Timur

Android Master

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:45 PM #273

using tasker seems pretty much essential in a fixed install so that you can...

I'm not arguing against the use of Tasker. That would be foolish. It's just that A. I have no personal impression of how the fix is working, right now. And I'm curious. And B. would it be good, if there was a way to get at least the basics in one "easy to use", self contained package. No?

And can someone please explain the mic issue? I understand there is a technical issue with the input channel. What I don't get, is the sudden importance of the microphone. Sorry for being dense.

Edited by Timur, 21 January 2013 - 03:46 PM.

• 1 Likes

dcplaya

dcplaya

Android Beginner

• 332 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:50 PM #274

I'm not using Tasker. Can you briefly explain what steps it takes, to get the fix it to work?

here is the Export from Tasker

Profile: Music Control (11)
State: Not Power [ Source:Any ]
Enter: GrabAudio (13)
A1: Load App [ App:grabfocus Data: Exclude From Recent Apps:On ]
A2: Wait [ MS:0 Seconds:4 Minutes:0 Hours:0 Days:0 ]
A3: Go Home [ Page:0 ]

• 0 Likes

MetalMan

MetalMan

Android Lover

• 223 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:55 PM #275

And can someone please explain the mic issue? I understand there is a technical issue with the input channel. What I don't get, is the sudden importance of the microphone. Sorry for being dense.

The microphone issue is actually pretty profound in some cases, especially for fixed installations in a car. It always has been actually, but people like myself have accepted it.

When a USB DAC is plugged in, it seems all audio input on the N7 is broken. We cannot get in audio through the DAC (if the DAC has a line-in), and the N7's internal microphone no longer works.

Personally I would use the microphone for voice searching and speech-to-text so I don't need to type everything in (while driving). This would enable me to say the address for a location I'd like to go to, which takes a couple seconds, compared to spending 30+ sec to type while (unsafely) driving.

Edited by MetalMan, 21 January 2013 - 03:55 PM.

• 0 Likes

OP Timur

Timur

Android Master

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:57 PM #276

The microphone issue is actually pretty profound in some cases, especially for fixed installations in a car. It always has been actually, but people like myself have accepted it.

When a USB DAC is plugged in, it seems all audio input on the N7 is broken. We cannot get in audio through the DAC (if the DAC has a line-in), and the N7's internal microphone no longer works.

Personally I would use the microphone for voice searching and speech-to-text so I don't need to type everything in (while driving). This would enable me to say the address for a location I'd like to go to, which takes a couple seconds, compared to spending 30+ sec to type while (unsafely) driving.

Got it. Thanks.
  • 0 Likes

iceman_jkh

iceman_jkh

Android Lover

• 150 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:01 PM #277

I'm not arguing against the use of Tasker. That would be foolish. It's just that A. I have no personal impression of how the fix is working, right now. And I'm curious. And B. would it be good, if there was a way to get at least the basics in one "easy to use", self contained package. No?

Exactly. The basics in a package would be awesome. The more complex stuff is fine in Tasker or other scripting apps (in my opinion).

Lol. The guy who is writing these awesome kernels accuses himself of being dense. You sir, are crazy! :-P
The mic is useful (to me) for in car voice recognition (and perhaps in future version of tablet talk, phone calls).
With voice recognition (eg:utter!) I can choose tracks, search for music, play, pause (not yet) navigate to locations, etc. All using voice. :-)
  • 0 Likes

OP Timur

Timur

Android Master

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:53 PM #278

Exactly. The basics in a package would be awesome. The more complex stuff is fine in Tasker or other scripting apps (in my opinion).

I reached one soul.

With voice recognition (eg:utter!) I can choose tracks, search for music, play, pause (not yet) navigate to locations, etc. All using voice. :-)

Android OS (not Linux the kernel) has the concept of a primary audio device (no mixer). Having looked at the code before, maybe I just had a mental block. Next excuse: talking to a computer does not come natural to me. In any case, the use case is very obvious. This is also a role model example for something, that can only be changed in the system layer.
  • 0 Likes

joltman

joltman

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:10 PM #279

And I'm going to ask again, this is something that CM devs won't accept into their ROM?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Edited by joltman, 21 January 2013 - 06:10 PM.

• 0 Likes

OP Timur

Timur

Android Master

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:43 PM #280

And I'm going to ask again, thus is something that CM devs won't accept into their ROM?

http://review.cyanog....org/#/c/27499/

You got to click the comments.
  • 0 Likes