17 votes

Timur's Kernel - USB ROM - Most popular thread on Rootzwiki

• This topic is locked

Kookie_Monster

Kookie_Monster

Android Master

• 593 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:03 AM #2251

Speaking of not relying on 3rd-party apps, I know a necessary one for me is a rotation locker. Some apps aren't built for landscape mode and a rotation lock app (mine is Adaptive Rotation Lock) will force every app into landscape mode. Seems like a pretty simple and intuitive thing to include if Landscape UI is enabled.

I think I've tried that before to solve the portrait bug of Apollo but it didn't much good. I mean, it does lock to landscape, but since that particular UI is not native landscape is gets kind of weird. (when is it that issue getting fixed anyway?! <_< )

Actually, I found this...

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1678540

I may give it a shot tomorrow. Doesn't say anything about Windows 8, but hopefully it'll work.

Kookie, you might want to check that out man.

I'll work with Timur to make a custom one ASAP! :)

Edit: cross-reading has this effect on me sometimes. lol Try it out and let me know if it works!

Edited by Kookie_Monster, 30 April 2013 - 10:18 AM.

• 0 Likes
In-Dash Nexus 7 Project | Mod Shop

Samsung Galaxy SIII LTE 16Gb »» ROM: Stock Android 4.1.2 (Root) »» Kernel: Stock
Asus Transformer TF101 16Gb »» ROM: EOS4 Nightlies »»»»»»»»»»» Kernel: KATKernel
Google Nexus 7 32Gb »»»»»»»»»» ROM: Timur's USBROM »»»»»»»»» Kernel: Timur's Kernel

irectus

irectus

• 13 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:53 PM #2252

so i've been using TImur's USB Rom on my N7 3G installed in-dash in my car for a little while now. Love it. great rom. 2 questions, why does the audio sound all distorted and garggled sometimes when i start my car up? (im using a FiiO usb dac). restarting the car or reconnecting OTG cable to tablet fixes this.
ALSO, does this rom (timur's USB ROM) come with a driver for external GPS receivers? Am looking into getting a USB GPS receiver.
  • 0 Likes

Statts

Statts

Android Lover

• 140 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:03 PM #2253

Here's a question for you all......

Who has been using Tablet Talk to make and receive phone calls on the Nexus 7 screen routed via their phone? I have my Nexus 7 and Nexus 4 synced via Tablet Talk (Bluetooth) but all it really allows me to do is to control the phone's screen via the tablet. The voice and speaker are all still handled by the phone. I've looked all through the settings, but cannot find how to route voice to the tablet so it comes through the car speakers.

In a perfect world, I'd prefer for the phone call audio to come over the speakers via the Nexus 7, and for the loudspeaker mic in the Nexus 4 to be used (as the mic in the back of the Nexus 7 isn't great at picking up voice from within the dashboard).

Anyone got this working? If so, how? If not yet, any ideas?

Thanks.
  • 0 Likes

OP Timur

Timur

Android Master

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:37 AM #2254

I'll work with Timur to make a custom one ASAP! :)

Cool. We need to modify this "800.zip" archive, here: https://github.com/C...n/bootanimation

Btw., fiddling with desc.txt did not provide the desired results. Also, when I rotate and store the images on my Ubuntu box, the JPG's grow in size (the small files grow from 2.5KB to 12KB, for example) and the modification will not render on the actual device.

so i've been using TImur's USB Rom on my N7 3G installed in-dash in my car for a little while now. Love it. great rom. 2 questions, why does the audio sound all distorted and garggled sometimes when i start my car up? (im using a FiiO usb dac). restarting the car or reconnecting OTG cable to tablet fixes this.
ALSO, does this rom (timur's USB ROM) come with a driver for external GPS receivers? Am looking into getting a USB GPS receiver.

A FiiO DAC will sound distorted, if it is under-powered. You need a more generous power supply.
What GPS driver do you have in mind?

Granted, the use of an alarm on a system in a car is probably pretty rare. I'm just being devil's advocate there. The Calendar reminders though, that for sure happens, as I use them daily.

Alarms and "soft" wake-up events show, that Android really is a personal OS. It expects you to "be around" all the time. This is less of an issue, if you just run bare AOSP or CM. But when you install GApps or 3rd party apps, many of these apps will "install" their own dedicated "soft" wake-up events. They do so during the boot process. Users have no control over this, whatsoever. But you can list the configured "soft" wake-up events that were configured on your device using this command:

adb shell dumpsys alarm > dump.txt

Entries marked with RTC and RTC_WAKEUP show upcoming and recurring events. Those marked with ELAPSED_WAKEUP, show events that occurred in the past. (Here you may find parallels with what SuspendView will display.) For fixed installation mode, we need a way to tell the device, to not wake up from sleep, only to popup calendar entries or to engage in other unneeded activity. I am currently experimenting with a new "Firm sleep" option. "Firm sleep" disables all "soft" events while in deep sleep. These events will then occur, when *you* wake the device. While working on this over the next few days, I may be a little slow responding to the list.

Edited by Timur, 01 May 2013 - 12:46 AM.

• 0 Likes

naiku

naiku

Super User

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:03 AM #2255

Anyone having issues with usb host deactivating with deep sleep?

Maybe, I need to look in the logs. But out of nowhere, twice now when I have turned my vehicle back on the USB devices are not picked up right away. One time the Nexus picked them up after a few seconds, another time I had to reboot first.

In a perfect world, I'd prefer for the phone call audio to come over the speakers via the Nexus 7, and for the loudspeaker mic in the Nexus 4 to be used (as the mic in the back of the Nexus 7 isn't great at picking up voice from within the dashboard).

Thanks.

Welcome to mine (and Kookies) world. We have both been after this, the bluetooth module in the Nexus needs to be hacked and I don't think anyone has done it yet.
  • 0 Likes

flashded

flashded

• 25 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:03 AM #2256

Hi! I connected all the same Arduino. Works great. The tablet thinks Arduino - the keyboard and turn on the Arduino sketch is sensing a button. Everything is working, as I said, is excellent, except for one detail. "Button" mute. Nexus was acting weird. Sometimes the sound off and then quickly enables. Sometimes just a little bit mutes. What's the problem?
  • 0 Likes

RED ZMAN

RED ZMAN

Founder - Soulhamsters.com

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:53 AM #2257

Who has been using Tablet Talk to make and receive phone calls on the Nexus 7 screen routed via their phone? I have my Nexus 7 and Nexus 4 synced via Tablet Talk (Bluetooth) but all it really allows me to do is to control the phone's screen via the tablet. The voice and speaker are all still handled by the phone. I've looked all through the settings, but cannot find how to route voice to the tablet so it comes through the car speakers.

Mine works, just not in the "perfect" way. My phone is paired with my OEM stereo (2010 Kia Soul Sport), but NOT paired with my Tablet directly. I went through the Tablet Talk pair process instead. Now, when I turn my phone bluetooth on, it connects to both devices, and the sound plays perfectly over my stereo. The Tablet Talk developer is a friendly guy, and usually responds quickly to emails. Tablet talk is playing more the role of a dialer and remote phone control app, and your phone sends the sound through your stereo.

If you completely replaced your stereo, or your OEM stereo doesn't have bluetooth, you SHOULD be able to do this with a bluetooth dongle/adapter I believe.

Cool. We need to modify this "800.zip" archive, here: https://github.com/C...n/bootanimation

Btw., fiddling with desc.txt did not provide the desired results. Also, when I rotate and store the images on my Ubuntu box, the JPG's grow in size (the small files grow from 2.5KB to 12KB, for example) and the modification will not render on the actual device.

Hmm, what settings did you try in desc.text? I didn't get to try the bootanimation factory yet, but I can compare some before and after .zip's to see what comes out.

What is the resolution of the Nexus 7? I think I'm getting to where I understand how this is going to work.

Entries marked with RTC and RTC_WAKEUP show upcoming and recurring events. Those marked with ELAPSED_WAKEUP, show events that occurred in the past. (Here you may find parallels with what SuspendView will display.) For fixed installation mode, we need a way to tell the device, to not wake up from sleep, only to popup calendar entries or to engage in other unneeded activity. I am currently experimenting with a new "Firm sleep" option. "Firm sleep" disables all "soft" events while in deep sleep. These events will then occur, when *you* wake the device. While working on this over the next few days, I may be a little slow responding to the list.

That sounds like the cure. Awesome man, I appreciate the hard work. Fully deserving of donations. You folks need to donate, if I donated $50, everyone else can at least do $5 and keep this guy filled with coffee. :tongue2: :lol:
  • 0 Likes
Owner/Founder - http://www.soulhamsters.com
The greatest Kia Soul Community online, 'Get in the Cage!'
2010 Kia Soul "Project Nexus" In Dash - USB ROM
Posted Image

Statts

Statts

Android Lover

• 140 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:43 AM #2258

Welcome to mine (and Kookies) world. We have both been after this, the bluetooth module in the Nexus needs to be hacked and I don't think anyone has done it yet.

Ahhh, glad I am not the only one!

Mine works, just not in the "perfect" way. My phone is paired with my OEM stereo (2010 Kia Soul Sport), but NOT paired with my Tablet directly. I went through the Tablet Talk pair process instead. Now, when I turn my phone bluetooth on, it connects to both devices, and the sound plays perfectly over my stereo. The Tablet Talk developer is a friendly guy, and usually responds quickly to emails. Tablet talk is playing more the role of a dialer and remote phone control app, and your phone sends the sound through your stereo.

If you completely replaced your stereo, or your OEM stereo doesn't have bluetooth, you SHOULD be able to do this with a bluetooth dongle/adapter I believe.

Good idea, I emailed the dev!
  • 0 Likes

MetalMan

MetalMan

Android Lover

• 223 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:52 AM #2259

Here's a question for you all......

Thanks.

I'm (sort of) in the same boat as you (and apparently others).
My goal is that whenever my Galaxy S III and N7 connect, then Tasker will connect the GSIII to a separate BT device for handling microphone and call audio. Particularly I'll be using the Scosche Motormount II (BTAXM). It comes with a splitter device which in theory would be perfect to solve our problems, but this device introduces static and reduced audio quality (I've tried 2 BTAXM and 3 splitters).

My end goal: Arduino will handle everything. It will be my shut-off timer for power (and such as during engine cranking), it will simulate a button press on the BTAXM to turn on that device, and it will take the enable signal from the BTAXM and through relays will switch between the N7's audio output and the phone audio output from the BTAXM. It may sound complicated (and compared to many car installs it is), but in the end I will have an automated car system!
  • 0 Likes

RED ZMAN

RED ZMAN

Founder - Soulhamsters.com

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:13 AM #2260

See, I just turn on my bluetooth with a NFC tag when I get in the car. It actually toggles my BT and my Wifi Tethering, it auto connects to my OEM stereo, and then to tablet talk. Really nice setup.
  • 0 Likes
Owner/Founder - http://www.soulhamsters.com
The greatest Kia Soul Community online, 'Get in the Cage!'
2010 Kia Soul "Project Nexus" In Dash - USB ROM
Posted Image