Rate this Topic

17 votes

Timur's Kernel - USB ROM - Most popular thread on Rootzwiki

• This topic is locked

OP Timur

Timur

Android Master

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:11 AM #191

For the time being, please hit the power button briefly, before removing a OTG cable from a charging and sleeping N7, when using the mobile kernel.
For the time being, please hit the power button briefly, before removing a OTG cable from a charging and sleeping N7, when using the mobile kernel, when there are one or more slave devices connected.

@AnyHertz: Can you confirm this additional condition? (I can't make it malfunction with no devices attached. Would be good to know for an improved implementation.)
  • 0 Likes

MetalMan

MetalMan

Android Lover

• 223 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:45 AM #192

http://forum.xda-dev...=1989319&page=3

There ya go mate! :)

Edit: no fastboot, you say? Check out this thread too.

http://forum.xda-dev...=1821536&page=9

Thanks for the link to the bootloader! As for your 2nd link, I posted in there back in December (post #62), and it seems like there hasn't been any progress on figuring out a solution (other than getting a new unit) for people in my position.
  • 0 Likes

dcplaya

dcplaya

Android Beginner

• 332 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:09 AM #193

Like Metalman I use the UCA202 for my car setup and it works very smoothly! no issues at all. (CM 10.1 Fi kernel)

Metalman and you (I assume) pause audio right before power is disconnected. Or very shortly after since Tasker cannot know of a power loss before it happens. The issue that I am having is if I do NOT pause audio and I do a power loss, the DAC never works again until a reboot.

I consider the pausing a workaround to the issue. I am in no way degrading the work Timur has done and as he mentioned, it may not even be a issue he can fix (He just used the linux kernel USB DAC and just enabled it).

@Timur nothing would help us see the issue? Even kernel dmesg?

@Metalman Having Tasker pause audio immediately after a power loss (DAC power loss as well as power loss to the tablet) allows it to come back up most of the time? You mind sharing the profile for that? Its easy to make but even easier if someone has already made it.
  • 0 Likes

MetalMan

MetalMan

Android Lover

• 223 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:27 AM #194

You definitely need to pause audio for the DAC to reconnect properly. When I do the DAC is usually functional upon the next application of power (works just like Timur intended).
On my N7, Tasker pauses the audio within a second or so after it detects power loss. I can't really export the profile, but it's pretty basic:
Context: State --> Power --> Power --> Source: Any, check Invert
Tasks:
1) Task --> Wait --> set for 1 second [this will make sure the DAC is fully powered down]
2) Media --> Media Control --> Cmd: Pause, check Simulate Media Button

I should note that I use Google Play Music, though this task may work for other music players as well.

Similar to the power loss situation, you could have Tasker play your audio shortly after power is detected. I chose not to because instead I created a "Play/Pause" Tasker task that I turned into a widget. It uses a global variable (called %PLAY) that becomes 1 when music is played and 0 when music is paused, so that the task knows whether it should play or pause music.

Edited by MetalMan, 16 January 2013 - 10:29 AM.

• 1 Likes

AnyHertz

AnyHertz

• 29 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:53 AM #195

Timur,
The freeze occurred without slave devices being connected - just closed the magnetic cover and left Nexus charging over Y-cable and it froze when I unlocked the screen 5 min later and pulled out micro-usb. I'm also running Battery Left app and USB OTG Helper.

I have no problems testing a kernel for you, but do not have a USB DAC.
  • 0 Likes

OP Timur

Timur

Android Master

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:38 AM #196

Timur,
The freeze occurred without slave devices being connected - just closed the magnetic cover and left Nexus charging over Y-cable and it froze when I unlocked the screen 5 min later and pulled out micro-usb. I'm also running Battery Left app and USB OTG Helper.

I have no problems testing a kernel for you, but do not have a USB DAC.

Can you also confirm that without any slave devices connected, no malfunctioning/freezing will occur, when unplugging OTG?
  • 0 Likes

AnyHertz

AnyHertz

• 29 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:41 PM #197

Correct, as long as the unit was not in deep sleep, unplugging OTG without slave devices did not freeze it.
  • 0 Likes

OP Timur

Timur

Android Master

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:56 PM #198

Correct, as long as the unit was not in deep sleep, unplugging OTG without slave devices did not freeze it.

Sorry, if I wasn't clear. Can you make it freeze, if the unit goes to deep sleep without slave devices attached? I need this info for the fix. Thank you.
  • 0 Likes

OP Timur

Timur

Android Master

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:35 PM #199

You definitely need to pause audio for the DAC to reconnect properly.

It depends on the DAC. But anyway, I think there is something really special about this whole issue. In order to make a remote device work properly, hours later, when you turn it on again, you need to stop data flowing to it at a point in time, when it is definitely powered off already. Normally, I would argue, this cannot be true.
  • 0 Likes

Kookie_Monster

Kookie_Monster

Android Master

• 593 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:14 PM #200

A little update on my "dead USB port" issue. One of the things I wanted to test was to flash the bootloader. I read somewhere that the bootloader holds a few protections... don't ask, cause I don't know what those are and how it works.

Anyway... flashed the bootloader, it's still unlocked but guess what... USB port is alive and kicking!! :lol:

Now... not that it's important, just out of curiosity. Can anyone explain this to me?
  • 0 Likes
In-Dash Nexus 7 Project | Mod Shop

Samsung Galaxy SIII LTE 16Gb »» ROM: Stock Android 4.1.2 (Root) »» Kernel: Stock
Asus Transformer TF101 16Gb »» ROM: EOS4 Nightlies »»»»»»»»»»» Kernel: KATKernel
Google Nexus 7 32Gb »»»»»»»»»» ROM: Timur's USBROM »»»»»»»»» Kernel: Timur's Kernel