Rate this Topic

17 votes

Timur's Kernel - USB ROM - Most popular thread on Rootzwiki

• This topic is locked

naiku

naiku

Super User

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:47 PM #1511

I assume you are keeping your slave devices powered all the time. Is this correct?

By powered all the time, do you mean even when the ignition is off? If so, then no, they are only powered with the ignition on (same as the Nexus). When the ignition is turned off, the power to the hub also goes off.
  • 0 Likes

OP Timur

Timur

Android Master

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:25 PM #1512

@jayman488: I did my own. But since then switched to Ubuntu with my GNex, to see what they come up with.

By powered all the time, do you mean even when the ignition is off? If so, then no, they are only powered with the ignition on (same as the Nexus). When the ignition is turned off, the power to the hub also goes off.

But this is the most used configuration. I will now even stronger suggest, for you to experiment with different hubs. Do you mind sharing, what hub you are using here? Please both the product name and what is displayed under "USB SLAVE DEVICES". Thanks.

@estin: Same suggestion to you also. Are you 100% sure this is related to sleep mode? If so, please pastebin your kernel log. And also what hub you are using. I wouldn't be extremely surprised, if you two are using the same model.

@Kseiter: Thanks. I feel envy now.
  • 0 Likes

Statts

Statts

Android Lover

• 140 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:59 PM #1513

But this is the most used configuration. I will now even stronger suggest, for you to experiment with different hubs. Do you mind sharing, what hub you are using here? Please both the product name and what is displayed under "USB SLAVE DEVICES". Thanks.

@estin: Same suggestion to you also. Are you 100% sure this is related to sleep mode? If so, please pastebin your kernel log. And also what hub you are using. I wouldn't be extremely surprised, if you two are using the same model.

I see this being very beneficial to everyone. I have ordered a powered USB HUB with switches, and will update with my findings when it arrives.
  • 0 Likes

iceman_jkh

iceman_jkh

Android Lover

• 150 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:47 PM #1514

Have you seen this post?
http://rootzwiki.com...60#entry1120825

Thanks. That helped :)
Threw my icon grid out, but that's probably what was causing the issue in the first place.
  • 0 Likes

estin

estin

Average Android

• 4 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:31 AM #1515

I have problems unrelated with the use of a hub, as I also tried the devices to be connected directly. Anyway, the hub I'm using is a Belkin F4U042 that shows up as "USB2.0 Hub 480Mbit/s".

Here is the kernel log of a fresh start of the nexus with a Logitech mouse connected and the +5V powered on. Then, when the device is already on, I took off the 5V power and let the tablet go to sleep (15 sec in my case). At that point I reconnected the 5V power and the screen turned on, but the mouse wasn't recognized. Then I did a unplug/plug of the 5V (with the tablet's screen on) and the mouse was recognized again.

http://pastebin.com/P3KT83EA

Thanks!
  • 0 Likes

OP Timur

Timur

Android Master

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:45 AM #1516

Here is the kernel log of a fresh start of the nexus with a Logitech mouse connected and the +5V powered on. Then, when the device is already on, I took off the 5V power and let the tablet go to sleep (15 sec in my case). At that point I reconnected the 5V power and the screen turned on, but the mouse wasn't recognized. Then I did a unplug/plug of the 5V (with the tablet's screen on) and the mouse was recognized again.

http://pastebin.com/P3KT83EA

Your log does reflect what you describe. However, I am noticing something interesting. Can you describe *exactly*, how your cabling is set up? In particular: you say "I reconnect the 5V power" but you don't mention using a Y-cable.

Also, can you confirm that, when you turn on *fast* charging, that this is NOT ever being reflected by the kernel battery charging state shown below? Not even, after you unplug your OTG adapter and reconnect it again?

@iceman_jkh: Trebuchet launcher still has a minor issue with icon positions, when switching from portrait to landscape (or the other way). This is *not* an OS or system issue, it's internal to Trebuchet. If you stick with one orientation it is not too bad. But if you need to switch often, I would suggest to try a different launcher.

Edited by Timur, 28 March 2013 - 01:50 AM.

• 0 Likes

estin

estin

Average Android

• 4 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:53 AM #1517

Your log does reflect what you describe. However, I am noticing something interesting. Can you describe *exactly*, how your cabling is set up? In particular: you say "I reconnect the 5V power" but you don't mention using a Y-cable.

Also, can you confirm that, when you turn on *fast* charging, that this is NOT ever being reflected by the kernel battery charging state shown below? Not even, after you unplug your OTG adapter and reconnect it again?

Hi Timur,

The cable I'm using is a made-by-myself OTG Y-cable. I have the normal OTG setup (male microUSB to female USB with the microUSB pins 4-5 shortcut) and I have added a male USB (the power source) which has only connections to black and red cables, therefore allowing a external power source to feed both the tablet and the slave devices. I have used many different power sources of 3A, with no difference in the result.

Also, I can confirm that fast charging is not reflected in the battery charge state when activated. In fact, sometimes I do get a fast charging state with this flag deactivated.

Thanks!
  • 0 Likes

OP Timur

Timur

Android Master

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:13 AM #1518

The cable I'm using is a made-by-myself OTG Y-cable.

There is something wrong with it, I'm afraid. When you look at your log and search for "Cable:" (which is found 4 times), you will see it always says "Cable: OTHER". This is not a valid type and is not supported by my kernel. It should read "Cable: host mode charging usb" or "Cable: host mode charging ac". And if not in host mode, it should read "Cable: CDP" or "Cable: DCP".

I'm not sure what may be causing this deviation. But I sure know this is the cause of the problems you are having. And it is also the reason why fast charging cannot be switched on at will. For you to "get a fast charging state" randomly, is something I wouldn't be able explain atm. - I can say, however, that you did an excellent job, capturing the situation in a kernel log.
  • 0 Likes

estin

estin

Average Android

• 4 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:30 AM #1519

There is something wrong with it, I'm afraid. When you look at your log and search for "Cable:" (which is found 4 times), you will see it always says "Cable: OTHER". This is not a valid type and is not supported by my kernel. It should read "Cable: host mode charging usb" or "Cable: host mode charging ac". And if not in host mode, it should read "Cable: CDP" or "Cable: DCP".

I'm not sure what may be causing this deviation. But I sure know this is the cause of the problems you are having. And it is also the reason why fast charging cannot be switched on at will. For you to "get a fast charging state" randomly, is something I wouldn't be able explain atm. - I can say, however, that you did an excellent job, capturing the situation in a kernel log.

Thanks Timur,

I will try with a different cable and check in the kernel log that the system correctly identifies it.

Thank you very much for your help!! I'll post the result as soon as a try with a different cable.
  • 0 Likes

corywf

corywf

• 48 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:20 AM #1520

Yes. When it happens again, when you restart the tablet, run USB ROM LogView and open "Prev. Kernel". This is the kernel log from before the crash. The last few lines may tell you something. I'm curious what you find. You can also upload the log to pastebin and post a link here or PM me. Quite obviously I am using the new ROM myself, very extensively, and it didn't crash on me, yet.

Hmm, radios ...is that WiFi/Bt or 3G?

Here's the pastebin from when it boot-looped this morning. I tried PMing you but it wouldn't let me (mailbox full maybe?)

http://pastebin.com/zPFL4aEc

Edited by corywf, 28 March 2013 - 03:22 AM.

• 0 Likes