Rate this Topic

- - - - -

fastest kernel?

• Please log in to reply

OP bzw

bzw

• 30 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:56 AM #1

Which kernel is the fastest on the stratosphere?
  • 0 Likes

djphrost

djphrost

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:46 AM #2

personal preference mostly, RHCP supports OC, boot ani's, etc and KC supports other features without OC. I have personally went back and forth through the tweaked roms, but had the most luck with RHCP. again, just depends on what you're using it for. I'm sure others will chime in too. :)
  • 0 Likes
Strat Twkd2.2, Droid 2 ICS MIUI, HTC Eris Kaos Froyo

OP bzw

bzw

• 30 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:54 AM #3

thanks. i like the boot anims but preference would be whichever one makes the phone run the fastest. I think it seems to lag more with RHCP's (which I have now) than with Tweakstock that I put in 1st.
  • 0 Likes

djphrost

djphrost

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:59 AM #4

thanks. i like the boot anims but preference would be whichever one makes the phone run the fastest. I think it seems to lag more with RHCP's (which I have now) than with Tweakstock that I put in 1st.

gotta also consider that this phone has a lag curse. I have even went as far as to not install little things here and there like beautiful widgets and other minor apps that run in background. try to freeze unecessary apps when restarting. again not the best with this phone, learning more and more as I go. I am using RHCP right not though
  • 0 Likes
Strat Twkd2.2, Droid 2 ICS MIUI, HTC Eris Kaos Froyo

astroboogie99

astroboogie99

Average Android

• 2 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:03 AM #5

im running tweaked stock 2.2 and this strat makes the road runner look slow. How bout this, 18 playstore downloads at one time on one bar wifi and no lag or slowdown. i was amazed. only able to do 3 downloads on 3 bars wifi before it would lag before root. i have all my apps i originally had before and went from the cpu using up to 318mb out of 379mb to a cool 248mb out of the 378mb now after rooting. plus i dont have the useless ff1 update popping up anymore even after i shutdown or reboot. to do that u have to accept the update and let it try to run it. once it stops it self boot up into cwm and reinstall stock os and wipe then remount ei2 and tweakedstock and wipe data and dalvik cache and enjoy!!
  • 0 Likes

acejavelin

acejavelin

Super User

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:15 PM #6

This phone is slow... period. It has only 512MB RAM (of that around 1/2 is usable) and single-core 1Ghz processor, it is never going to be a speed demon. The best you can do is Tweaked 2.2 with either the TweakStock kernel or one of Bag's kernels, I always preferred Bag's kernels since they were super easy to overclock and adjust the CPU Governor and I/O Scheduler, but even that requires constant fiddling since Samsung has some crap-ass code that constantly resets the CPU Gov back when you plug it into the charger then remove it. I would also recommend using ES Task Manager and it's widget to keep the memory as free as possible (I know some people will argue with me on this one, but it always worked for me).

The best thing you can really hope for is to just endure it until you are up for renewal, and get something decent... I always recommend getting more phone (RAM/Speed/Storage/etc) than you think you will ever need, it will pay off in the long run even though it might require a little more upfront cash.
  • 1 Likes

Current Personal: Google Nexus 4 16GB (Beanstalk - Aio Wireless)
Current Work: LG G2 (Beanstalk - Verizon)
Previous Android devices: Motorola Droid 1, HTC Incredible 2, Samsung Stratosphere, HTC Aria, HTC Rezound, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket

If I helped you, and you want to show some appreciation, send me a donation.

robindean

robindean

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:52 AM #7

When I download the RHCP kernel (binary file), all I end up with is a file that unzips infinitely and provides no instructions as to where it should be flashed to.

I tried booting into recovery and installing from said zip file but that was a no go.

Can someone give me a direct link to the kernel file with point-by-point instructions on how to get it onto my phone properly? I've been going at this for a few days now.
  • 0 Likes

acejavelin

acejavelin

Super User

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:45 PM #8

I would download the file again from http://www.jbhale.co...-custom-kernel/ (Binary Download ZIP file) and then verify the MD5 sum matches what is shown on the D/L page. If it matches EXACTLY, copy it to the the root of your SD card, reboot into CWM Recovery, install ZIP from SD card, wipe Cache and Dalvik, and reboot. That is it, there isn't anything more to it.
  • 0 Likes

Current Personal: Google Nexus 4 16GB (Beanstalk - Aio Wireless)
Current Work: LG G2 (Beanstalk - Verizon)
Previous Android devices: Motorola Droid 1, HTC Incredible 2, Samsung Stratosphere, HTC Aria, HTC Rezound, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket

If I helped you, and you want to show some appreciation, send me a donation.

robindean

robindean

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:49 AM #9

Thanks for the reply.

I think my brain is missing some bolts in regards to MD5. I see that there is an MD5 key when I try to download but I have no idea how to use it. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with it.

Also, this marks the third time I've downloaded it (this time directly to my phone's SD card) and I still get the following error:

Finding update package ...
Opening update package ...
E:Can't open /sdcard/0203_strat.zip
(bad)
Installation aborted

What should I do?

Edited by robindean, 10 January 2013 - 08:50 AM.

• 0 Likes

OP bzw

bzw

• 30 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:25 AM #10

is your pc trying to unzip the file? the file should go unzipped onto the SD.
  • 0 Likes