- - - - -

s-off status on this device?

• Please log in to reply

OP rester555

rester555

Android "Hacker"

• 360 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:39 AM #1

I notice that the DNA has now been rooted and you can unlock the bootloader. Is the phone still s-on? Or has s-off been achieved?
  • 0 Likes

skynet11

skynet11

News Team/Moderator

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:53 PM #2

It's still S-On. You can be assured that when S-Off is achieved, it'll be all over the forum, Twitter, G+, and probably even the Android blogs.
  • 0 Likes
Terminators run on Android... Except the ones I sent to find John Connor... They were running iOS Posted Image
Rootzwiki Rules: troll-resistant and flame-retardant

Tidefan22

Tidefan22

Android Apprentice

• 253 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:43 PM #3

If we get s off will development pick up? I know its not gonna reach nexus level but it won't be like the rezound will it. Is s on what's keeping devs from really working on this device since we can't write to the system while in android? Is that the case cause I'm not 100% sure on that? Also once s off is achieved will we be able to flash everything from recovery? Without adb? Sorry for all the HTC noob questions but I've never owned a HTC device

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Edited by Tidefan22, 19 December 2012 - 10:45 PM.

• 0 Likes

idkwhothatis123

idkwhothatis123

Indubitably

• 706 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:26 PM #4

If we get s off will development pick up? I know its not gonna reach nexus level but it won't be like the rezound will it. Is s on what's keeping devs from really working on this device since we can't write to the system while in android? Is that the case cause I'm not 100% sure on that? Also once s off is achieved will we be able to flash everything from recovery? Without adb? Sorry for all the HTC noob questions but I've never owned a HTC device

Slow development is due to a small amount of devs interested in making sense based roms. S-off is not the cause of lack of development. There are no non-sense roms right now due to the lack of RIL code available. People are building aosp roms but there are debugging issues on the kernel level, preventing a boot to occur. Once it gets cracked, we should have plenty of options. It will just take a bit. Patience my friend.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using RootzWiki
  • 0 Likes

MyComputerDoctor

MyComputerDoctor

Wannabe Developer

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:41 PM #5

Slow development is due to a small amount of devs interested in making sense based roms. S-off is not the cause of lack of development. There are no non-sense roms right now due to the lack of RIL code available. People are building aosp roms but there are debugging issues on the kernel level, preventing a boot to occur. Once it gets cracked, we should have plenty of options. It will just take a bit. Patience my friend.

There are definitely Senseless ROM's out (Genome v2.0) but there is no AOSP based ROM's (the difference being that Senseless has most of HTC's Sense UI removed but still uses HTC's base). I am currently working on a AOSP based build but am lacking the AOSP kernel needed to make things work correctly. I have reached out to several kernel developers and have not had much success in getting anyone to help with this task.
  • 0 Likes
Posted Image
If you like my work, let me know and hit the "Like This" button.
Info: @FactoryROM - Donate to FactoryROM

idkwhothatis123

idkwhothatis123

Indubitably

• 706 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:30 PM #6

There are definitely Senseless ROM's out (Genome v2.0) but there is no AOSP based ROM's (the difference being that Senseless has most of HTC's Sense UI removed but still uses HTC's base). I am currently working on a AOSP based build but am lacking the AOSP kernel needed to make things work correctly. I have reached out to several kernel developers and have not had much success in getting anyone to help with this task.

I lump senseless roms into sense roms because of the framework and sys. I did mean aosp when I said non-sense. My apologies for the lack of clarification lol.

• 0 Likes

Tidefan22

Tidefan22

Android Apprentice

• 253 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:32 PM #7

Ok cool thanks I just never had a HTC device and I would love aosp, but this phone is just so good, ill just use my nexus for that. will s off make it where we can flash everything through recovery without using adb though? Its not a big deal cause it ain't that much trouble.

Edited by Tidefan22, 20 December 2012 - 02:37 PM.

• 0 Likes

yarly

yarly

Just a noob that doesn't know what he's talking about

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:12 PM #8

Honestly, I don't predict development for this device to go past Rezound status regardless of s-on or off. If it does, it will be a surprise to me. HTC development in general has dwindled in the past 1 or so years and more so on Verizon.

Not saying that to stir up flaming, just look around and compare to other devices, it's just kind of an unfortunate fact. Get the phone because you like the hardware or Sense. Get it because you're expecting Nexus or Galaxy S3 development levels and you'll most likely end up disappointed.
  • 4 Likes

HerbieVersmelz

HerbieVersmelz

Super User

• 448 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:32 PM #9

Honestly, I don't predict development for this device to go past Rezound status regardless of s-on or off. If it does, it will be a surprise to me. HTC development in general has dwindled in the past 1 or so years and more so on Verizon.

Not saying that to stir up flaming, just look around and compare to other devices, it's just kind of an unfortunate fact. Get the phone because you like the hardware or Sense. Get it because you're expecting Nexus or Galaxy S3 development levels and you'll most likely end up disappointed.

sadly enough ive noticed the trend you have described as well, especially the "verizon" part. Ive played with several devices that i instantly fell in love with however, vast community development and support always largely impact my final decision.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  • 1 Likes

g00s3y

g00s3y

appul pls

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:58 PM #10

Yeah, I don't think there will be much development on this at all. Going to stick with the DNA for about another month, then if still nothing, will probably sell it for the Note or the S3. Really missing AOSP, toggles, and the ability to customize even more...
  • 0 Likes
Galaxy Nexus (VZW) - Rooted & Unlocked
Galaxy S3 (VZW) - Rooted & Unlocked