Rate this Topic

- - - - -

RIL efffort

• Please log in to reply

OP lazarus0000

lazarus0000

• 10 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:54 AM #1

This is my email to the Office of the President of Samsung USA. I wrote him once before and received a personalized email in response. I'm sure it was from one of his secretaries or some such but personal responses to letters of complaint are rare. Thought I'd give this a try. A long shot, but all we've got...

Dear Mr. Kim:

I am writing in a last effort to implore you. This phone is a hardware masterpiece of its time and fully capable of running Android Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean. Yes, there are currently phones better than this from the sense of hardware but, for its time, this is a classic. It was the first LTE phone Samsung marketed in the US and paved the way for your current crop of best sellers!

The problem exists that this phone is now stuck in place and will never advance. It has a very involved user and developer community but that community cannot move forward due to your company's refusal to release the "RIL" - files necessary to adapt the software kernel and open it to true custom ROM development.

I know you are an incredibly busy man fully involved in the responsibilities of running the US division of a successful multinational conglomerate. All I am asking is that you use your power, authority and influence to task someone else with the release of these files. There is no profit to be made from keeping them proprietary - this phone is no longer manufactured by your company and the RIL files are, as far as I know, totally individualized to this device. All you and Samsung do by not releasing them is hold back an avid developer community and increase the ill will of those offended by the continued refusal to release these files.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I hope that I will have some effect on your decision and encourage you to do the right thing.

• 4 Likes
"Never try to out-stubborn a cat" --LL

andrewjt19

andrewjt19

Android Freak!

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:19 PM #2

Nice dude: well spoken. Let's see if it does anything.
  • 0 Likes
Andrewjt19
"Rule Your Phone" not just the air. :D
Current Devices: Samsung Galaxy Note II, Asus Transformer Prime
Retired Devices: Droid X, HTC Incredible, Droid Charge, Galaxy Nexus (still in operation by my wife:cool:)...
Check out my website: http://www.ProjectIn...on.Blogspot.com

OP lazarus0000

lazarus0000

• 10 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:17 PM #3

Also wrote in the same vein to Qualcomm after receiving feedback that the RIL is proprietary to them, not Samsung. Heard the same from both...

Nothing.

Hear the power of the people, hear us ROAR!

(meow...)
  • 3 Likes
"Never try to out-stubborn a cat" --LL

p2kmafia

p2kmafia

Android Lover

• 159 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:18 PM #4

can we set up mass email bots to spam them with the same message? There's no way that little bit of code is detrimental to either companies because the technology has advanced way more since our phone was released
  • 0 Likes

RickAugust

RickAugust

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:37 AM #5

What are the email addresses? I'll spam it up too!
  • 0 Likes
Droid Charge - Tweaked V3.2
iCubot A800
@RickAugust

Sdeph5200

Sdeph5200

Android Apprentice

• 26 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:42 PM #6

I seriously hope they release it. The fact that they would not only hold back on releasing an update,but would prevent developers from releasing one too has driven me away. I know I'm just one user, and I'll still use android on my tablet. But my new Windows 8 phone comes in today and I'm never buying another android device because of this. I know I can't be alone in this.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using RootzWiki
  • 0 Likes

DirgeExtinction

DirgeExtinction

Android Apprentice

• 285 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:11 PM #7

I seriously hope they release it. The fact that they would not only hold back on releasing an update,but would prevent developers from releasing one too has driven me away. I know I'm just one user, and I'll still use android on my tablet. But my new Windows 8 phone comes in today and I'm never buying another android device because of this. I know I can't be alone in this.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using RootzWiki

So you're mostly moving away from android due to...Samsung? Enjoy your WinPhone8 device, though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using RootzWiki
  • 0 Likes

Andy32790

Andy32790

• 98 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:31 PM #8

Just have to say love android and Samsung I would stick with either or even if they found a way to stop us from rooting
  • 0 Likes

craigsouthwick

craigsouthwick

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:27 PM #9

So you're mostly moving away from android due to...Samsung? Enjoy your WinPhone8 device, though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using RootzWiki

I am moving towards a Nexus device.
  • 0 Likes

yarly

yarly

Just a noob that doesn't know what he's talking about

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:29 PM #10

Android OEMs do not release proprietary code because there's too many legal obligations with partners and suppliers they licensed from. Time for you guys to move on to a new device and if you care about updates, don't buy a non-nexus phone.
  • 0 Likes