* * * * -
2 votes

[ROOT] VZW Note 2 Root Package

• Please log in to reply

OP imnuts

imnuts

Disabled User

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:54 AM #1

I know what you're thinking "We already have root, why do we want and/or need this?". Well, if you followed the root thread, you would have seen that the package posted was built off of two images. There was the early firmware posting that it was first made from, then a system pull in a rar archive that was used to put the root package on the latest firmware. In the processes, there were issues with permissions and other items missing. The people involved did a great job with what they had, but I don't like hacked up solutions to problems.

So, to fix that, I had a stock system.img for the release firmware. This allowed me to build a fully stock root package with no missing files or incorrect permissions. While it took some time to get this tested and verified working without having the device, I was able to get it. Thanks goes to Adrynalyne, Mibix, and AstainHellBring (and anyone else) from IRC for testing several packages (Freenode, #galaxy-note-2). This is only the start of things to come, and I plan on slowly working on a ROM based on this then. I also made a deodexed version of the same package. Download and flash that if you wish, but it was more to verify that nothing broke in the deodexing process and to get a working base for a custom ROM.

DOWNLOADS
Stock Rooted Image
Mirror 1
Mirror 2

Deodexed Stock Rooted Image
Mirror 1
Mirror 2

INSTRUCTIONS
  • Download one of the above packages for flashing.
  • Extract the file (7zip works to extract).
  • Open Odin (download that elsewhere), and put the extracted tar.md5 in the PDA spot
  • (Re)Boot your phone into download mode and plug it in to your computer
  • With it recognized in Odin, press start
  • Once the phone boots up, all should be well. If you notice issues, boot into recovery and wipe data and this should fix the problems.
  • If you still have issues after wiping the /data and performing a factory reset, please post here.

NOTE: I am not responsible for any ill effects caused to you, your loved ones, you phone, or anything else as a result of flashing this. Do so at your own risk as I won't be held responsible.

Edited by imnuts, 15 December 2012 - 04:47 AM.

• 10 Likes

OP imnuts

imnuts

Disabled User

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:54 AM #2

Saving this post too, just in case I need it.
  • 3 Likes

achilles27

achilles27

Average Android

• 7 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:21 PM #3

The stock Zip with root has an error! When I download and go to unzip, it says "No archives found" Also, when I insert it into Odin, it will not flash right! I redownloaded the same file twice, and the same errors exist.
  • 0 Likes

OP imnuts

imnuts

Disabled User

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:55 PM #4

The stock Zip with root has an error! When I download and go to unzip, it says "No archives found" Also, when I insert it into Odin, it will not flash right! I redownloaded the same file twice, and the same errors exist.

You need to extract the file, and it isn't a zip. I'm not sure what you're using to try and open it, but I know that 7zip will work to open and extract the downloaded file.
  • 0 Likes

achilles27

achilles27

Average Android

• 7 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:32 PM #5

You are Right! 7zip does work! My dumb ass was using winrar! About to use Odin! Will report back!
  • 0 Likes

achilles27

achilles27

Average Android

• 7 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:18 PM #6

You are Right! 7zip does work! My dumb ass was using winrar! About to use Odin! Will report back!

I used Odin to flash the stock build and it went without a hitch! Great job! I did have to wipe data because the previous superuser was still present and was unable to be uninstalled. So I would recommend that anyone coming from the 1st root version, that you wipe data. Thanks again everyone! This definitely works!
  • 0 Likes

mbt

mbt

Average Android

• 2 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:59 AM #7

Will flashing this stock image delete all my apps and settings that I already have?
  • 0 Likes

achilles27

achilles27

Average Android

• 7 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:18 AM #8

Will flashing this stock image delete all my apps and settings that I already have?

I found a major flaw!! Wifi tether is knocked out with this!! No matter what version of wifi tether used, none work! With 1st Note 2 root method, wifi tether was possible. With this, I can't find a way!
  • 0 Likes

achilles27

achilles27

Average Android

• 7 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:26 AM #9

I found a major flaw!! Wifi tether is knocked out with this!! No matter what version of wifi tether used, none work! With 1st Note 2 root method, wifi tether was possible. With this, I can't find a way!

Ok, I fixed it. Make sure you install busy box. With busy box installed, Wifi Tether does work!!
  • 0 Likes

mbt

mbt

Average Android

• 2 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:32 AM #10

Guess I'll ask again.
  • 0 Likes