1. 0
  2. 0
  3. 0/5

Rate this Topic

2 votes

YOU Pick the Winner! Nexus 4 Developer Contest

• This topic is locked

Poll: YOU Pick the Winner! Nexus 4 Developer Contest (474 member(s) have cast votes)

Which developer's project should win the Nexus 4?

1. 0xD34D (199 votes [41.98%])

Percentage of vote: 41.98%

2. JBirdVegas (78 votes [16.46%])

Percentage of vote: 16.46%

3. show-p1984 (19 votes [4.01%])

Percentage of vote: 4.01%

4. MyComputerDoctor (178 votes [37.55%])

Percentage of vote: 37.55%

Vote

OP AshG

AshG

Editor

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:16 PM #1

Phase I of our Nexus 4 giveaway has been completed in the RootzWiki Developer Forum. We've chosen our finalists, and now you - yes, you! - get to help us pick the winner. Ladies and gentlemen, get your voting clicker ready! Voting opens immediately, but polls close at 8pm PST on Sunday, December 2.

Voting is simple. Follow this link to the official voting thread, sign in (or sign up if you haven't already!) and pick your favorite project. We're encouraging the devs to hang out in the thread and answer your questions and help you make an informed selection.

The following finalists are in no particular order:

Finalist # 1 - 0xD34D

I'd like to enter my latest project into the mix here. As someone who has ported MIUI to several devices, I've grown sick of dealing with smali and changes that Xiaomi, the creators of MIUI, has been making which is stifling the ability to bring MIUI's features to the masses. Since I'd much rather work with actual source code, I've decided to begin work on incorporating some of the features that make MIUI unique, into an open AOSP based ROM. One of my first goals of this project is to incorporate MIUI's theme engine so that we can make use of the plethora of themes available to MIUI. While the T-Mobile theme engine used in a lot of ROMs is good, it does not offer the flexibility of the MIUI theme engine.

In addition to the theme engine, I have plans to incorporate some other features such as the tabbed status bar with notifications on one and quick settings on the other. The dialer is another feature people have expressed interest in so that will be on the to-do list as well. The overall goal of this project is to offer an AOSP based ROM that provides a different look and feel to most others while keeping it simple for the user. I understand the breadth of this project and am more than willing to continue to push forward in making it a reality. Keep in mind that the project will not simply focus on incorporating features found in MIUI, the main purpose is to have source code we can use to add our own features that will enhance the overall user experience.

Right now I have most of the theme engine incorporated and am ironing a few bugs that have popped up. Right now I am basing it off of 4.1.2 but I would rather work from android 4.2 as it has some features I would like to leverage. Since my current devices are not playing well with 4.2 at the moment, a device that already supports it would be a big help. Regardless of the outcome of this contest, this project will continue forward.

Here is an example of a custom ROM I worked on for the Kindle Fire which incorporated some features others did not have at the time.
http://rootzwiki.com...ject-jandycane/

Finalist #2 - JBirdVegas

I've been writting code for Android for about 2 years now, almost all the work I've done is open source. I figure since I learned my code skills from others I should try to help fellow developer/wanabee developers whenever possible.

https://github.com/jbirdvegas
https://github.com/n00bware

Things that I've planned for the future in 4.2:

lockscreen needs a quick wifi connection widget; 5 widget lockscreen limit must go; ... I think listing more ideas here would be counter productive, since I want to write the mods myself :P However if you would like to see what I've been working on here is my latest mod http://gerrit.sudose...s.com/#/c/4248/ Its a changelog that parsed from our (AOKP) gerrit instance (via http://gerrit.sudose...s.com/#/c/4253/) and github to show git commit's author, committer, date, change message, change id and provides a link to the commit's diff view on github.

Finalist #3 - show-p1984

What would I do with it? Well I am not maintaining a ROM, but a kernel. So I could offer the Bricked Kernel for the N4.

mpdecision
mpdecision completely replaces the stock hot plug management (sometimes those are user space binaries) with in-kernel solutions and is written solely by myself.
As an example: tegra_mpdecision
As you might know the tegra3 soc has 5 cores, one low power core to do work when the phone is suspended or not used much and 4 high power cores to do the heavy lifting. tegra_mpdecision will manage the core (un)plugging based on the run queues and therefore ensure that only the needed amount of cores are active, which saves battery. It also manages the switching between lp and g mode (lp = low power core, g = quad core) on its own. It is outfitted with various checks and hysteresis protections to prevent unnecessary actions.
To increase responsiveness it is able to switch to g mode as soon as the governor requests a higher frequency than the lp core can support (475Mhz).
It offers a very detailed sysfs interface to tune nearly all of its variables to ones liking even after compilation, as well as an on / off switch for mpdecision and the same for enforcing lp mode if the screen is off.

msm in kernel 3-phase thermal protection
This replaces the user space binaries for mach-msm machines with an in kernel routine.

modified ondemand for tegra3 & mpdecision
This modified governor allows maximum usage of the lp core without impacting performance and is specifically tuned to the lp core's max clock. It also sets power saving settings while the screen is off.

badass (based on ondemand)
This governor for qualcomm (mach-msm) socs modifies ondemand in 3 major ways:
1. it introduces a 3rd phase to prevent ramping to max
2. it takes the gpu load into consideration
3. it allows bypassing the phases if the gpu is busy (because the bus speed is tied to cpu0's speed on msm socs)
It also has vast tuneables exported to sysfs.

Sweep2wake
Sweep2wake is an in kernel, in touch screen driver modification which allows waking/suspending your device with a sweep over the capacitive buttons, or if your device has none over a part of the screen. It therefore replaces the usage of the power button.
<p>
Cmdline options
This modification allows to set various in kernel settings over the kernel cmdline and is therefore useful for custom kernel installations where the users does not need to set everything by him/herself afterwards.
Supports: Sweep2wake, governor, scheduler, min/max MHz, screen off max MHz, gpu over clock, etc...

Finalist #4 - MyComputerDoctor

My plans for the next ROM I am preparing (DynamicOS), is to completely redefine the "look and feel" of the Android OS. This goes a lot deeper than just a theme. Starting with the Frameworks, I want to completely redesign the way Android looks, feels, and reacts to the end user (Similar to how MIUI does this with their OS) but keeping things strictly AOSP based. I also plan on simplifing the end user experience while maintaining advanced functionality. It's my goal to make DynamicOS the premier "Base" for future projects. I want this to be the go to Android base for developers who want to start a new project, but want the custom look and enhancements provided with DynamicOS. Included in this Project will be Android Enhancements throughout the OS, bringing out the most in Google's Project Butter. Anyone who has run my recent FactoryROM series can vouch for my abilities to make a ROM perform like no other. Proof is in the threads. Anyhow, I would love the opportunity to participate in this really interesting contest... Please let me know if you have any questions.. Thanks Rootz!

Details on DynamicOS:
  • System UI Enhancements
  • System UI Speed Tweaks
  • Frameworks Enhancements
  • Settings Enhancements
  • Phone.apk Enchantments
  • MMS Enhancements
  • Launcher Enhancements
  • Overall User Interface Experience Changes to Android 4.2
  • I am also including a Custom Built Kernel

Feel free to ask for clarification or specifics; the finalists will be glad to help answer any of your questions.
  • 13 Likes

Proud Member, RootzWiki Site Staff

GNex Flashaholic - ROM & Kernel subject to change without warning

Know of a sweet app, trick, mod, or hack for your Android device? Let us know!

hoppermi

hoppermi

Supporting Member

• 455 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:11 AM #2

0xD34D for sure, his work can benefit every device with aosp support.
  • 0 Likes

leeech

leeech

Developer

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:32 AM #3

0xD34D for sure! Ive met no one with his dedication, drive and knowledge. IMO he venturing into a project not many have the balls to attempt.
  • 0 Likes

linds6630

linds6630

Android Beginner

• 17 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:58 AM #4

The key thing to remember about 0xD34D's is even if you have no intention on getting a Nexus 4, you will be able to benefit. He is trying to bring something to the table that will work for any phone with a device tree. Also if you are dedicated to your aosp Rom, you may still be able to see benefits if your dev pulls from dead's work. 0xD34D has my vote hands down.
  • 1 Likes

iBotPeaches

iBotPeaches

Average Android

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:54 AM #5

Yeah all towards an open MIUI. Its a big undertaking.
  • 1 Likes

Droidx0351

Droidx0351

Android Lover

• 562 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:08 PM #6

0xD34D for sure, his work can benefit every device with aosp support.

+1 on my vote on aosp/miui. Can't wait for the first beta release.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  • 0 Likes

MyComputerDoctor

MyComputerDoctor

Wannabe Developer

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:31 PM #7

Can I vote for myself? :P MyComputerDoctor :angel:
Anyhow, please let me know if anyone has any questions. I've been hard at work on this project for the other Nexus based devices (which got put on hold during the 4.2 merge) and I would love to make the Nexus 4 the default build device. Thanks for your votes!

Edited by MyComputerDoctor, 01 December 2012 - 11:20 PM.

• 4 Likes
Posted Image
If you like my work, let me know and hit the "Like This" button.
Info: @FactoryROM - Donate to FactoryROM

BeansTown106

BeansTown106

Carbon / Miui.us Developer

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:44 PM #8

0xD34D all the way no other project even compares.. sorry jbird i <3 ya but what deads doing is absolutely amaazing

Edited by BeansTown106, 30 November 2012 - 01:48 PM.

• 0 Likes

Posted Image

"If you like my work please consider donating. Beer helps me keep going lol"

Follow me @BeansTown106, Massive Props to Everyone that donated to Fund My Note2

Current Device's: Verizon Galaxy S3, Verizon Galaxy Note 2, Nexus 7 Retired Device's: Droid RaZr, Droid2, Droid 2 Global, Droid X, Droid Incredible

Treken

Treken

Android Beginner

• 29 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:17 PM #9

0xD34D of course! He is working on a project right now that excites me concerning the miui style Rom!
  • 0 Likes

R3Ds

R3Ds

Developer

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:42 PM #10

My vote goes to mycomputerdoctor he has excellent skills
And has done so much for us. Thank you
  • 1 Likes