3. 0/5

Rate this Topic

57 votes

[ROM][AOSP](8/9/14) Shiny ROM: OTA-Like, Stock Android [4.4.4] [KTU84P]

• Please log in to reply

hags2k

hags2k

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:23 AM #661

Many thanks to baldwinguy77 for creating such a SOLID daily driver in Shiny. As with several others within the past couple pages of discussion, I, too, migrated over to Shiny this weekend from Pete Alfonso's Bugless Beast -- I won't be going back. Not because Pete doesn't do good work (he most certainly does), but it's going to be hard to give up the 4.2.1 experience now that I've had a taste. Thanks also, baldwinguy77, for posting exact installation/migration directions within your OP -- it helps those of us who don't "crack-flash" like we used to have the step-by-step handy. I had zero issues upgrading to 4.2.1 from 4.1.

Now, can I get some opinions on different kernel usage with Shiny? Not asking for the "best," as I know everyone's mileage varies depending on their phone and their setup. I will say that on Bugless Beast 4.1, I switched between Franco (used that most of the time), Trinity (best battery life but crashed my GNex intermittently), and LeanKernel (which was used for past week on Pete's BB with good results). Since I liked Trinity kernel, but it didn't seem to like my BB setup, I installed it while flashing Shiny this past weekend -- seems to be working very well and I'm getting great battery life again...had a 13-14 hour day on Saturday, with moderate usage and about 1.5 hours of screen time. Some general stutters here and there, but I attribute that to Shiny and a new kernel settling into its first few days of usage.

What say you, RW'ers? Tell me about your kernel experiences with Shiny, if you have the time and inclination... ;)

Honestly, I love imoseyon's LeanKernel - the interactivex governor that seems to only appear in his kernels is just fantastic - real, measurable battery increases (on the order of 10 to 20 percent for my usage patterns) that I get from a hotplugging governor, plus the responsiveness of the interactive governor when the screen is on. I've tried a couple 4.2 roms now, and LK seems to improve all of them. And, though I don't use franco's kernels, I got his paid-for app since it supports his own kernel as well as imoseyon's, since it makes updating the kernel a breeze.

LeanKernel plus Shiny seems to be working quite well so far for me.
  • 3 Likes

lngwca

lngwca

“good artists borrow, great artists steal" - Steve Jobs

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:54 AM #662

Honestly, I love imoseyon's LeanKernel - the interactivex governor that seems to only appear in his kernels is just fantastic - real, measurable battery increases (on the order of 10 to 20 percent for my usage patterns) that I get from a hotplugging governor, plus the responsiveness of the interactive governor when the screen is on. I've tried a couple 4.2 roms now, and LK seems to improve all of them. And, though I don't use franco's kernels, I got his paid-for app since it supports his own kernel as well as imoseyon's, since it makes updating the kernel a breeze.

LeanKernel plus Shiny seems to be working quite well so far for me.

honestly haven't tried any kernels since OG droid. downloader francos updater and went straight to lean kernel runs damn smooth and battery seams to be benefiting any thoughts on settings to further improve my gnex?
  • 2 Likes
"I manage a football team" "A fantasy football team" - stepbrothers
DIRTYDUNE.COM
----> Sign up for Dropbox Click here and we will both get extra storage space through "refer a friend" i will like you forever!

windhorser

windhorser

• 12 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:54 AM #663

)
Hmmmm it would probably be good to update now because it's finals week, and I'm not sure I'll have time to update :/ BUT don't worry because as soon as finals week is over I will have A LOT of time to work on the ROM and issue some nice new updates ;)

Well, if you've done this much work on your ROM while you're a college student in December, it might be a real interesting holiday season. Keep it up! :-).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  • 0 Likes

ci2019

ci2019

Average Android

• 8 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:56 AM #664

I created an account on here just to say thanks to baldwinguy. I haven't run a rom since OG Droid because things just always seemed buggy and clunky. After reading the praise on your rom, I decided to give it a spin. I am pleasantly suprised! Awesome work and will continue to follow your development.
  • 1 Likes

tswany11

tswany11

Android Beginner

• 5 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:25 AM #665

Thank you VERY much baldwinguy, this ROM is awesome!

With that said I have one question and I don't know if it is ROM, play music app, or android related. I've noticed that when I receive a notification while a song is playing through the Google play music app, the music volume goes down and does not go back to the 'normal' level, it will once a new song starts. It happens on and off so I cannot consistently duplicate the problem. I just send myself an email, text message, and Google talk message and none of them lowered the volume at all. All the notifications seems to notify inconsistently.

Any ideas anyone?
  • 1 Likes

thepolishguy

thepolishguy

overcome evil with good

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:31 AM #666

With that said I have one question and I don't know if it is ROM, play music app, or android related. I've noticed that when I receive a notification while a song is playing through the Google play music app, the music volume goes down and does not go back to the 'normal' level, it will once a new song starts. It happens on and off so I cannot consistently duplicate the problem. I just send myself an email, text message, and Google talk message and none of them lowered the volume at all. All the notifications seems to notify inconsistently.

Any ideas anyone?

I have randomly experienced the same thing. I cannot however remember if it was on this ROM or on the previous. Its been a while since I have had the problem. But I definitely had the problem.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2
  • 0 Likes

HeSaid

HeSaid

• 12 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:00 PM #667

Thank you for all your work baldwinguy. Donation on it's way.
--
Neal
  • 1 Likes

fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn

Android Lover

• 197 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:54 PM #668

I have randomly experienced the same thing. I cannot however remember if it was on this ROM or on the previous. Its been a while since I have had the problem. But I definitely had the problem.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

Android bug back to at least gingerbread. Sometimes it goes back sometimes it stays low, another notification, or nav voice, it goes back to normal volume.
On some occasions I don't even get a notification or the music momentarily lowers it's volume with no notification. It's an Android crapshoot.
  • 0 Likes

hags2k

hags2k

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:58 PM #669

Any ideas anyone?

I've experienced this behavior on a number of ROMs. I think there is supposed to be a feature of some kind that lowers the volume of playing music so that you don't miss a notification, but it's not consistent and seems to depend, at least in part, on how long the sound that plays is and the volume of the music that is playing relative to the notification volume. It's not unique to this ROM, though.
  • 0 Likes

hags2k

hags2k

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:05 PM #670

honestly haven't tried any kernels since OG droid. downloader francos updater and went straight to lean kernel runs damn smooth and battery seams to be benefiting any thoughts on settings to further improve my gnex?

I'm pretty bare-bones - I like to get Google's latest stuff, and make a few tweaks that allows me to find a good balance between performance and battery life. Hotplugging is big for me, because sometimes there are days when my phone will be idle for 15 or more hours of the day, and I rely on my phone lasting at least 24 hours between charges with light usage. Other than that, I like to boost the volume of the speaker a bit (it's far too quiet by default), and i MAY tweak voltages, but I've found that the OMAP smartreflex technology makes voltage adjustment largely unnecessary.

FYI, with Imoseyon's kernel, I up the speed from 1200 to 1350 and set the governor to "interactivex". Better battery life than the stock kernel/settings, and faster when actually using the thing. I tried going up to the 1500 setting, but it immediately rebooted my phone when I tried it, so I just leave it at 1350. Battery life is very dependent on usage patterns, though, so if someone uses their phone a lot more than I do (I don't play games, avg less than 10 sms a day, occasional email, go days without actually CALLING someone, etc), I get massive battery improvements from a governor that hotplugs, like the interactivex does. If you use your phone a lot, my setting might actually cause you to get WORSE battery life, though.
  • 1 Likes