[ROM][AOSP](8/9/14) Shiny ROM: OTA-Like, Stock Android [4.4.4] [KTU84P]

• Please log in to reply

fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn

Android Lover

• 197 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:58 PM #2091

NoooooOOOOOO! I use emojis constantly.
Of course I could just flash an app but I honestly like the stock messaging app, just with emoji support.
  • 0 Likes

OP baldwinguy77

baldwinguy77

Shiny ROM

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:01 PM #2092

I wouldn't miss them, since I've never seen or used them, but I certainly don't mind them. Is there a down side to leaving them besides variance from stock?

There isn't another downside that I've noticed, especially since they can be disabled in the settings; however, I'm trying to slowly phase out anything I've done that deviates from stock if it has viable alternatives. The restart options are a semi-good example of this; I decided to go away from putting them right on the power menu to keep things as close to stock as possible. One of the reasons for this is keeping the ROM "barebones" with customization readily available for users who want it. The other reason is keeping the source code as close to stock as possible, so that if any problems come up when upgrading to a new version of Android, for example, they can be more easily tracked down.
  • 0 Likes

Sandman007

Sandman007

Deadly_Hamsters

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:02 PM #2093

I use them from time to time as well. I don't see a downside to keeping them. Besides I haven't heard anybody get mad because they have emoticons to choose from. But I could see people getting upset if they disappear

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  • 0 Likes

VZW Galaxy S3
Recovery: TWRP
ROM: ChaOS

OP baldwinguy77

baldwinguy77

Shiny ROM

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:03 PM #2094

NoooooOOOOOO! I use emojis constantly.
Of course I could just flash an app but I honestly like the stock messaging app, just with emoji support.

Lol I agree with you for the same reasons (I originally put them there for my own use), but lately I've been experimenting with both the CM10 Messaging app and Sliding Messaging. Both of these are very stock-like, clean, and have useful customizations. Have you tried either of them out yet? My personal favorite right now is Sliding Messaging.

I use them from time to time as well. I don't see a downside to keeping them. Besides I haven't heard anybody get mad because they have emoticons to choose from. But I could see people getting upset if they disappear

Like I said in the above post, the reasons for me wanting to remain as close to stock code as possible aren't always due to functionality or looks. I don't think removing them would (or should) be a deal breaker for anyone due to the awesome alternatives available now, but I haven't made any final decisions on it yet and I understand where you're coming from, as it's convenient for me to have them right in the stock app as well.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your thoughts so far!

Edited by baldwinguy77, 08 February 2013 - 08:09 PM.

• 0 Likes

indianajonze

indianajonze

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:06 PM #2095

So lately I've been looking at some custom Messaging apps both on the Play Store and ones that you can get through mods, and based on the wide availability of such apps I've been thinking that it might be time to remove Emojis from the stock Messaging app. The only reason is that there are now some very good stock-like apps/mods out there that can give you Emojis in the Messaging app, and removing them would get the ROM even closer to stock.

What do you guys think?

i say get rid of them. as close to stock as possible. also, i don't use them at all
  • 0 Likes

oldblue910

oldblue910

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:31 PM #2096

So lately I've been looking at some custom Messaging apps both on the Play Store and ones that you can get through mods, and based on the wide availability of such apps I've been thinking that it might be time to remove Emojis from the stock Messaging app. The only reason is that there are now some very good stock-like apps/mods out there that can give you Emojis in the Messaging app, and removing them would get the ROM even closer to stock.

What do you guys think?

I'm all for it!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
  • 2 Likes
LG Nexus 4 (LG-E960) :: occam 4.2.2/JDQ39 :: Radio 2.0.1700.48 :: Bootloader MAKOZ10O
Asus Nexus 7 (ME370T) :: nakasi 4.2.2/JDQ39 :: Bootloader 4.18
Samsung Nexus 10 (GT-P8110) :: mantaray 4.2.2/JDQ39 :: Bootloader MANTALJ12
Samsung Galaxy Nexus (SCH-I515) :: mysid 4.2.2/JDQ39 :: Radio I515.FK01 (CDMA) / I515.FK02 (LTE) :: Bootloader PRIMELC03

Sandman007

Sandman007

Deadly_Hamsters

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:48 PM #2097

How do you change the date in data usage? It's locked on Feb7 and I need to change it to Jan 22 - Feb 22.

Edit: Nevermind

Edited by Sandman007, 08 February 2013 - 10:49 PM.

• 2 Likes

VZW Galaxy S3
Recovery: TWRP
ROM: ChaOS

zoomy942

zoomy942

Android Lover

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:03 PM #2098

I trust your judgment. I love this ROM too much. :-)

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
  • 1 Likes

jss2

jss2

• 87 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:04 AM #2099

i say get rid of them. as close to stock as possible. also, i don't use them at all

I agree with this. Get rid of them, keep this as close to stock as possible, especially if it'll help you keep this updated with the latest AOSP (and especially when there are easily added mods and/or apps that have the functionality).
  • 0 Likes

pyro

pyro

• 14 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:03 AM #2100

I agree with this. Get rid of them, keep this as close to stock as possible, especially if it'll help you keep this updated with the latest AOSP (and especially when there are easily added mods and/or apps that have the functionality).

Also agree. They can go. I'd prefer an easy for you to maintain/update, close as possible to stock, ROM.
  • 1 Likes