57 votes

[ROM][AOSP](8/9/14) Shiny ROM: OTA-Like, Stock Android [4.4.4] [KTU84P]

• Please log in to reply

BiGbadJohn

BiGbadJohn

Average Android

• 3 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:43 PM #14851

Hey guys, I don't mean to be a blatant noon, but uh-huh, I am. I've read the instructions on installing this ROM, but it's still a bit unclear to me. How easy is this for someone to do who has never done it or rooted? Also, it's clear that this ROM doesn't come with Root, but does that mean you need to Root separately? I'm not looking to do any mods, unless I get really comfortable with the process, but I'm only looking for a clean 4.4 update. I've read about running the Fancy kernel and how much smoother it will make the phone so I may try that possibly
I just got the GNex BTW off eBay after my 2nd Moto RAZR M burnt up without warning. Are there any video tutorials on flashing this ROM or anything close? I can follow visual instructions better. Any help is appreciated.
  • 0 Likes

BiGbadJohn

BiGbadJohn

Average Android

• 3 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:43 PM #14852

Hey guys, I don't mean to be a blatant noob , but uhhhh, I am. I've read the instructions on installing this ROM, but it's still a bit unclear to me. How easy is this for someone to do who has never done it or rooted? Also, it's clear that this ROM doesn't come with Root, but does that mean you need to Root separately? I'm not looking to do any mods, unless I get really comfortable with the process, but I'm only looking for a clean 4.4 update. I've read about running the Fancy kernel and how much smoother it will make the phone so I may try that possibly
I just got the GNex BTW off eBay after my 2nd Moto RAZR M burnt up without warning. Are there any video tutorials on flashing this ROM or anything close? I can follow visual instructions better. Any help is appreciated.

Edited by BiGbadJohn, Yesterday, 05:49 PM.

• 0 Likes

dbisgod

dbisgod

Android Apprentice

Posted Yesterday, 05:46 PM #14853

Hey guys, I don't mean to be a blatant noon, but uh-huh, I am. I've read the instructions on installing this ROM, but it's still a bit unclear to me. How easy is this for someone to do who has never done it or rooted? Also, it's clear that this ROM doesn't come with Root, but does that mean you need to Root separately? I'm not looking to do any mods, unless I get really comfortable with the process, but I'm only looking for a clean 4.4 update. I've read about running the Fancy kernel and how much smoother it will make the phone so I may try that possibly

You need to unlock your boot loader then fast boot push a recovery like twrp or cw. Root can be done with a zip flash in recovery.
  • 0 Likes

BiGbadJohn

BiGbadJohn

Average Android

• 3 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:53 PM #14854

You need to unlock your boot loader then fast boot push a recovery like twrp or cw. Root can be done with a zip flash in recovery.

OK, I'll have to research that honestly. Never unlocked a bootloader before. Never done any of this.

BTW, don't know why my post posted twice. This junk Ellipsis I guess, lol.
  • 0 Likes

dbisgod

dbisgod

Android Apprentice

Posted Yesterday, 05:55 PM #14855

OK, I'll have to research that honestly. Never unlocked a bootloader before. Never done any of this.

BTW, don't know why my post posted twice. This junk Ellipsis I guess, lol.

On the main page of gnex development there should be a thread with instructions. You use adb when phone is in boot loader mode and OEM unlock. Then you can use fastboot.
  • 0 Likes

djb6

djb6

Android Lover

• 108 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:24 PM #14856

Hey guys, I don't mean to be a blatant noob , but uhhhh, I am. I've read the instructions on installing this ROM, but it's still a bit unclear to me. How easy is this for someone to do who has never done it or rooted? Also, it's clear that this ROM doesn't come with Root, but does that mean you need to Root separately? I'm not looking to do any mods, unless I get really comfortable with the process, but I'm only looking for a clean 4.4 update. I've read about running the Fancy kernel and how much smoother it will make the phone so I may try that possibly

For your first time, wugfresh toolkit http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/ is the way to go. I started with that and have since learned adb and those things. Using wugfresh makes the entire process automatic.
  • 2 Likes