57 votes

[ROM][AOSP](6/21/14) Shiny ROM: OTA-Like, Stock Android [4.4.4] [KTU84P]

• Please log in to reply

OP baldwinguy77

baldwinguy77

Shiny ROM

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:43 PM #8401

Android 4.4 KitKat KRT16M Release

The time has come! The newest iteration of our favorite mobile operating system is here, and it's now available for the Verizon Galaxy Nexus in Shiny ROM form. It seemed for, at least a moment, that the Galaxy Nexus was doomed as it received its EoL from Google. Of course, thanks to the developer community, that is not true, as we are about to see.

Changes

Android 4.4 KitKat has brought a multitude of changes to the OS. It'd be silly for me to try to list them all, so instead I'm just going to suggest that you check out either Droid-Life or AndroidPolice's comprehensive coverage of the update. If you haven't been following Android news lately, I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised.

For changes across builds of the ROM, head to the download post and checkout the changelog there.

Mods

This build is pretty much bone stock - in fact, it is odexed, so mods will not be compatible for the time being. No mods will be available for it right away, but information about mod availability will be out soon. Please do not flash mods for older builds with Android 4.4. 

GAPPS ARE INCLUDED AND NOT REQUIRED.

Root

You can continue to use SuperSU 1.65 to enable root in Android 4.4. The installer for this build will not keep root to avoid issues, so you will need to reinstall the SuperSU root package if you want to be rooted.

Please note, if you are install the 11/5 build or later of Android 4.4 KitKat and you were previously rooted, you should not need to reflash the SuperSU root ZIP.

Installation Prerequisites

The following information details what you must do prior to installing Android 4.4 KitKat. Failure to follow these instructions may result in a failed installation.

Please install this build only from ClockworkMod Recovery 6.0.4.3. You can flash ClockworkMod Recovery 6.0.4.3 using the flashable ZIP provided in the OP. You can flash it in any custom recovery like any other ZIP. After flashing it, reboot into recovery mode again.

Installation Recommendations

The following information outlines some actions that you are recommended to take before installing the build. These are not required, but may reduce the amount of problems you run into.

​Installation

The following instructions are specific, step-by-step instructions for installing the build from internal storage, provided you have fulfilled the prerequisites above. (You can also install via ADB sideload, simply use that method instead of choosing from the sdcard.)

1. Copy the ROM and any other required packages (such as SuperSU) to the root folder (/) of your internal storage.
  2. Reboot into ClockworkMod Recovery 6.0.4.3.
  3. (This step deletes all of your app data - make sure you back it up if you want to keep it. Your internal storage will not be affected.) Select 'wipe data/factory reset' then select 'Yes - Wipe all user data'
  4. Select 'wipe cache partition' then select 'Yes - Wipe Cache'
  5. Select 'advanced' then select 'wipe dalvik cache' then select 'Yes - Wipe Dalvik Cache'
  6. Return to the main menu by selecting '+++++Go Back+++++' then select 'install zip' then select 'choose zip from /sdcard'
  7. Select '0' and then select 'baldwinguy77_toro_aosp_110513-015450-signed.zip'
  8. **For root** repeat steps 6 and 7, but select the SuperSU installation ZIP instead of the ROM ZIP
  9. Return to the main menu and select 'reboot system now'
  10. **IF** ClockworkMod recovery prompts you with any questions, select 'No'

Bugs

The only major bug right now involves an interaction between the new webviews and OpenGL. In some apps (e.g. the AOSP browser, Google Search) there are black boxes rendered randomly throughout the content. This is a consequence of incompatibility between our outdated GPU drivers and new surfaceflinger code. It is being actively worked on.

Another, more inconsistent bug, is a random reboot issue. This is 99% likely related to the bug above, so fixing that one should fix the reboots for the most part. As an aside, I had 3-4 reboots annoyingly close to each other at first, but once I got everything installed and just allowed the device to "rest" for a little, it seems to be very, very smooth.

As always, please report any and all bugs that you find! If you are having an issue that seems to be isolated to your device or setup, please consider PMing me in addition to posting in the thread. I may not catch all posts in the thread due to logistical shortcomings, but I will certainly read and respond to all PMs. 

Lastly, I highly recommend that you add any bugs you consider to be significant to this Google Drive document (huge thanks to user xolanir!) so that we can keep some sort of list going. For now, you'll have to request permission to access via your Google account to post to the document. I'm hoping to get some sort of more systematic method up and running, but I'm juggling a lot right now. Thanks to everyone for your patience and understanding!

ROM Download

MD5: af8c1cce6c89fae49f99a69db4121dda

baldwinguy77_toro_aosp_110513_015450-signed.zip - 344 MB (Mirror #1)

MD5: 8a3dcd32b509d6a9c50017f42f087e7d

baldwinguy77_toro_aosp_110213-212710-signed.zip - 335 MB (Mirror #1)

MD5: 52368a5eb76d87472df78915e9fb4f96

Edited by baldwinguy77, 09 November 2013 - 09:15 PM.

• 19 Likes

yodatom10

yodatom10

Android Master

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:45 PM #8402

rebooting now :)

Edited by yodatom10, 02 November 2013 - 05:46 PM.

• 0 Likes

OP baldwinguy77

baldwinguy77

Shiny ROM

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:46 PM #8403

I know that not everyone will read the above post, so I really want to reiterate this point from it:

1. **IMPORTANT NOTE** IF your mobile data fails to initialize upon first boot, simply power off the device (normally) and turn it back on. Mobile data should always work on the second boot, and then you can successfully complete the setup wizard.

• 2 Likes

Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson

Android Lover

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:49 PM #8404

Gapps included?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

• 1 Likes

wh33ls

wh33ls

Android Beginner

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:49 PM #8405

900x900px-LL-00d4bfb6_its-happening-ron-

• 8 Likes

truelove79

truelove79

Android Lover

• 118 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:49 PM #8406

Server overload!!!  Haha, so slow.  Need some mirrors.   :cry:  :winkP:  

EDIT: Nevermind, it's going now.  It may have been my stupid wifi.

Edited by truelove79, 02 November 2013 - 05:56 PM.

• 0 Likes

OP baldwinguy77

baldwinguy77

Shiny ROM

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:49 PM #8407

Gapps included?

Yup! Lemme add that to the big post.

• 1 Likes

nitsua98

nitsua98

The Dark Knight

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:51 PM #8408

So... Anybody know any kernels that work with 4.4?
  • 0 Likes

wavedashdoc

wavedashdoc

Android Optimizer

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:53 PM #8409

Someone going to be ballsy and try flashing this on TWRP? :P

• 2 Likes

gpzbc

gpzbc

• 58 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:53 PM #8410

I am so happy right now... I think I will go donate to baldwinguy. Edit: how can I donate for your efforts?

Edited by gpzbc, 02 November 2013 - 05:56 PM.

• 1 Likes