3. 0/5

Rate this Topic

57 votes

[ROM][AOSP](6/21/14) Shiny ROM: OTA-Like, Stock Android [4.4.4] [KTU84P]

• Please log in to reply

sparatan117

sparatan117

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:56 AM #3181

Yup, if you're just updating you should be able to get away with not wiping data.

Did it from 2/13 to 3/3 ... No issues what so ever.

Also here's a t9 dialier for De-Odex ... I'm not saying flash it, but someone (who's better with java ;) ) might wanna pull it apart to see if its compatible, and could be turned into a mod. I'm more of a PHP guy myself so... yeah haha

Is there a way to tell which Shiny version I'm on? It's gotta be 2/3, 2/13, or 2/16. Just want to label my backup correctly before I flash 3/3.

Check the SD card to see if the origional 2/13 2/3 whatever .zip is still there?

Edited by sparatan117, 07 March 2013 - 10:57 AM.

• 0 Likes

nv40

nv40

• 45 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:02 PM #3182

http://www.droid-lif...t=Google Reader

Let's show some love for baldwin...takes two seconds.....
  • 7 Likes

jwildman16

jwildman16

Gadget Guy

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:15 PM #3183

Any idea where I can download to Nexus 4 sounds that were pulled from lastest build? I had used a few with Lightflow notifications so I need to either get the sound files back or start picking new ones.

just open up the 2/16 .zip file (using 7-zip, or similar). you can find all the audio files in the \system\media\audio\ folder. if you don't still have the old ROM zip, you should be able to re-download it here: http://shinyrom.goofball.org/

Was anyone able to get this to work? I extracted the N4 sounds from the 2/16 build and transferred them to my phone. I then tried using ES File Explorer to move the files to system\media\audio\notifications (or \alarms, \ringtones, etc.), and it says the transfer was successfully completed, but the file ends up in the \audio folder with a different file name. For example, moving Alya.ogg from my downloads folder to the system\media\audio\notifications folder has it actually end up in the system\media\audio folder and named notificationsAlya.ogg. Any ideas?

Check the SD card to see if the origional 2/13 2/3 whatever .zip is still there?

Only problem is I *think* I downloaded and never installed 2/16...
  • 0 Likes

OP baldwinguy77

baldwinguy77

Shiny ROM

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:26 PM #3184

Was anyone able to get this to work? I extracted the N4 sounds from the 2/16 build and transferred them to my phone. I then tried using ES File Explorer to move the files to system\media\audio\notifications (or \alarms, \ringtones, etc.), and it says the transfer was successfully completed, but the file ends up in the \audio folder with a different file name. For example, moving Alya.ogg from my downloads folder to the system\media\audio\notifications folder has it actually end up in the system\media\audio folder and named notificationsAlya.ogg. Any ideas?

Only problem is I *think* I downloaded and never installed 2/16...

Hmmmm that's weird. You may want to try using a different file explorer or your PC to move the files. There are also some third party apps out there that replace the ringtone/sound chooser to let you pick files instead of just the sounds Android lists. Also, looking at the kernel build date under About Phone might help, but it doesn't always get updated if there aren't kernel changes, and it only works if you're using the stock kernel that comes with my ROM.

http://www.droid-lif...t=Google Reader

Let's show some love for baldwin...takes two seconds.....

Haha thanks guys! I really appreciate it...it would be awesome to be featured on DL. I really love their site and have been using it for my main source of Android news for years. Even if they don't feature Shiny, I still acknowledge you guys trying to help get me there and I sincerely appreciate it :)
  • 4 Likes

jwildman16

jwildman16

Gadget Guy

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:56 PM #3185

Hmmmm that's weird. You may want to try using a different file explorer or your PC to move the files. There are also some third party apps out there that replace the ringtone/sound chooser to let you pick files instead of just the sounds Android lists.

Thanks for the suggestions. I like the newer sounds better, so it'd be cool to get them working. Also, whatever it defaulted to (Unknown ringtone) is pretty bad. Still a noob in many respects, so... How do I go about moving the files using my PC? (i.e., How do I access the system folder?) I'm not familiar with adb.
  • 0 Likes

Bigwavedave25

Bigwavedave25

tinkerer in training

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:02 PM #3186

Haha thanks guys! I really appreciate it...it would be awesome to be featured on DL. I really love their site and have been using it for my main source of Android news for years. Even if they don't feature Shiny, I still acknowledge you guys trying to help get me there and I sincerely appreciate it :)

I think in the previous submissions for "custom rom friday" you may have ended up with more up-votes than Carbon, but I believe the variety of device availability and built-in customization probably won them over for a feature for the masses [my opinion].
However, BB was featured and promoted quite a bit on D-L, so there is a great chance you could still get a spot. Go vote peeps! :)
  • 2 Likes

CM's 4.2 Chronus clock widget, color themed here

CM10.2[nightly] DSP Manager flashable zip for AOSP 4.3 based Rom's

DSP Manager test for KitKat 4.4 (working, sort of)

OP baldwinguy77

baldwinguy77

Shiny ROM

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:09 PM #3187

Thanks for the suggestions. I like the newer sounds better, so it'd be cool to get them working. Also, whatever it defaulted to (Unknown ringtone) is pretty bad. Still a noob in many respects, so... How do I go about moving the files using my PC? (i.e., How do I access the system folder?) I'm not familiar with adb.

Oops, I wasn't thinking there haha. Well anyway, you can put the files on your sdcard just by drag and drop, and then if you have ADB you could use that to copy the files to /system/media/...

I forgot to ask, when you're moving these things you're rooted, right? :P You might want to try another file explorer app, I know Root Explorer has always worked well for me.
  • 0 Likes

EvanTheGamer

EvanTheGamer

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:11 PM #3188

Oh, you deserve all the credit in the world for making Shiny the shiniest of ROMs, not to mention the most stable, fast, buttery smooth, etc! Pretty sure the Droid-Life team will feature Shiny for tomorrow's Custom ROM Day! Most of the comments are about Shiny so that's kinda hard to ignore. It's entirely up to them, however, but hope they make the right decision. :)

It's always SHINY! on the other side of space!
  • 2 Likes

jwildman16

jwildman16

Gadget Guy

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:40 PM #3189

Oops, I wasn't thinking there haha. Well anyway, you can put the files on your sdcard just by drag and drop, and then if you have ADB you could use that to copy the files to /system/media/...

I forgot to ask, when you're moving these things you're rooted, right? :P You might want to try another file explorer app, I know Root Explorer has always worked well for me.

Yep, I'm rooted. The new Superuser app requested and applied permissions for ES File Explorer, which I've used before without issue. Very odd. Maybe I'll just revert to the old sounds because I don't really want to buy an explorer app when I'm sure ES can handle it. I must be missing something. Thanks again.
  • 0 Likes

Bigwavedave25

Bigwavedave25

tinkerer in training

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:51 PM #3190

Yep, I'm rooted. The new Superuser app requested and applied permissions for ES File Explorer, which I've used before without issue. Very odd. Maybe I'll just revert to the old sounds because I don't really want to buy an explorer app when I'm sure ES can handle it. I must be missing something. Thanks again.

If you are referring to the added [N4?] sounds in the 2/16 build of Shiny, I made a flashable zip I use to add them in after an update. Flash from recovery.
Sounds_Shiny021603_N4.zip

edit: this contains everything alarms/notifications/ringtones form that build, plus 3 Ubuntu fonts I use with UCCW. They are not large files and won't be any nuisance. (full disclosure) :blink:

Edited by Bigwavedave25, 07 March 2013 - 01:56 PM.

• 4 Likes

CM's 4.2 Chronus clock widget, color themed here

CM10.2[nightly] DSP Manager flashable zip for AOSP 4.3 based Rom's

DSP Manager test for KitKat 4.4 (working, sort of)