Rate this Topic

57 votes

[ROM][AOSP](6/21/14) Shiny ROM: OTA-Like, Stock Android [4.4.4] [KTU84P]

• Please log in to reply

defens23

defens23

Android Lover

Posted Today, 06:10 AM #14731

Need some help.  Downloaded fancy r53.  Rebooted to recovery (twrp) went to dirty flash the rom and it keeps giving me a fail message.  Tried to install an earlier version of the rom as well but keep getting fail messages.  Tried to reboot system but only brings me back to recover.  I did wipe cache and dalvik but that's all.

Edit:  Luckily I had a clockwork zip and was able to flash that.  Once I was in clockwork recovery I could reflash shiny.  This was the first time I tried to flash the rom on the latest version of TWRP.  I have used it to wipe cache and dalvik with no issues.  Anyone else have this problem?

Edited by defens23, Today, 06:50 AM.

• 0 Likes

TheRealEleven

TheRealEleven

Average Android

• 1 posts

Posted Today, 08:04 AM #14732

For anyone that doesn't know, Verizon is going to begin throttling unlimited data customers this fall.  Previously they only throttled 3G connections but now it will be promoted to 4G LTE connections as well.  This throttling will not apply to tiered data users, only legacy unlimited data users.  The cap before throttling is set at 4.7 GB.  Users will only be throttled while on a crowded cell site and should resume normal data speeds when on a less crowded site. 

Verizon also pointed out that if you are in the top 5% of users you may be throttled through the end of the current billing cycle and through the next one as well.  

It's a sad day for us Gnexers holding onto our grandfathered unlimited data.  A sad day indeed. 

I read this the other day. The only reason we've stayed with Verizon and kept (and bought other) Gnex's was because we were grandfathered into the Unlimited plans. We are most definitely in the top 5%, last time I checked we used over 20 gigs a month between the 3 phones. We'll see how the throttling affects us and in the worst case, we'll simply bail, change our usage and leave Verizon. They've gotten plenty of money from us for the last 15 years.

• 0 Likes

afr0ninja

afr0ninja

9 out of 10 voices in my head don't like me.

• 107 posts

Posted Today, 10:47 AM #14733

Need some help.  Downloaded fancy r53.  Rebooted to recovery (twrp) went to dirty flash the rom and it keeps giving me a fail message.  Tried to install an earlier version of the rom as well but keep getting fail messages.  Tried to reboot system but only brings me back to recover.  I did wipe cache and dalvik but that's all.

Edit:  Luckily I had a clockwork zip and was able to flash that.  Once I was in clockwork recovery I could reflash shiny.  This was the first time I tried to flash the rom on the latest version of TWRP.  I have used it to wipe cache and dalvik with no issues.  Anyone else have this problem?

I had this happen when I went from Shiney back to JDX awhile ago.  I only use TWRP...  I think my issue was that the phone was set for ART, and didn't like going back to Dalvik with the new ROM for some reason.  Once I did a complete wipe and started from scratch, it was happy as could be without issue.

Not sure that was the root cause, but it's what the voices in my head say the issue was, so I'm going with that.   :grin:

• 0 Likes
Sent using two tin cans and a piece of string.

rcozzi

rcozzi

Android Master

• 522 posts

Posted Today, 10:53 AM #14734

I had this happen when I went from Shiney back to JDX awhile ago.  I only use TWRP...  I think my issue was that the phone was set for ART, and didn't like going back to Dalvik with the new ROM for some reason.  Once I did a complete wipe and started from scratch, it was happy as could be without issue.

Not sure that was the root cause, but it's what the voices in my head say the issue was, so I'm going with that.   :grin:

Your supposed to listen to the voices in your head? I'll start doing that now too.

• 0 Likes

GNex 32 on Shiny 6/21 w/ Fancy r52 kernel

afr0ninja

afr0ninja

9 out of 10 voices in my head don't like me.

• 107 posts

Posted Today, 01:03 PM #14735

Your supposed to listen to the voices in your head? I'll start doing that now too.

As a general rule, I listen to most of the voices in my head.  If I don't, they generally threaten me with bodily harm.  The only ones I don't listen to are the ones speaking foreign languages I don't understand.  I really need to take a swahili class sometime... 

• 0 Likes
Sent using two tin cans and a piece of string.

defens23

defens23

Android Lover

Posted Today, 01:31 PM #14736

I've got too many voices in my head to listen to.  lol  My phone was using dalvik already.  I've been using TWRP for some time now.  Like I mentioned this was the first time I tried to flash a rom on the lastest TWRP.  Never had issuses before.

Edit:  I just opened up the TWRP app.  First thing it told me is that the app required root.  Opened Root Checker after that.  Sure enough, I've lost root somehow.

Edited by defens23, Today, 01:53 PM.

• 0 Likes