Android OS Forum banner

[ROM][AOSP](8/9/14) Shiny ROM: OTA-Like, Stock Android [4.4.4] [KTU84P]

4M views 15K replies 1K participants last post by  Dr. Hax 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Shiny ROM: Android 4.4.4, KTU84P for VZW Galaxy Nexus (Toro)

Skip right to the downloads (if you dare ;))
Hello there RootzWiki community! I'll admit this is a pretty spontaneous post; I've been building ROMs from the Android Open Source (Project) for awhile now, but I've never "published" any of them. I myself own a Verizon Galaxy Nexus, so I've always built from AOSP to make sure I'm as up to date as possible. Well, that's a little background so let's get going with the overview of the ROM itself:

Overview
This ROM is Android KitKat 4.4.4, build KTU84P. The ROM is built directly from source, that is, the Android source code published by Google available for download to all of us developers. The reason I say the ROM is "OTA-like" is because I make VERY few modifications to it, aside from the things that it takes to get the ROM working. I'll go into detail about those things below, but basically I just want the ROM to make your phone feel stable and shiny and new as if it has just received a new OTA update. That being said, it's clear that the landscape of Nexus devices is changing as new ones are released. Therefore, the other primary goal of this ROM is to keep our Galaxy Nexus as close to the modern Nexus design as possible. This means that I will also add in features that will still be stock, but will also make our phones as close to a current Nexus as possible.

As for how I handle the forum side of things, I'm always open to comments, questions, suggestions, requests, etc. I know that most of those things will often be in the form of criticism, but it's okay, I think I can handle it :) That being said, I do also have a life and am a college student, so I may not get to come on here ALL the time. I will check back as frequently as possible, and I'm hoping that you guys will help each other out as much as possible! Keep it friendly! :) So now for the details...

Features

• Stock Android 4.4.4, build KTU84P
  • Source (AOSP) built kernel (boot.img)
  • Easily rootable (see information below)
  • G-Apps (GMail, Play Store, etc.) included in build along with Nexus apps
  • Stock browser replaced with Google Chrome
  • Shiny restart options - access them by holding down the power button and then long pressing on "Power Off"
  • All the crazy Google proprietary app stuff has been taken care off
  • Updated frequently
  • Everything works!

So what do I mean when I say "Everything works!"?
I'm sure by now you all know that when someone says that, it usually ends up not being true. This ROM is not an exception to that rule, but I can say that I've tested most of the things that would be expected to work in stock Android, such as...

• WiFi Tethering (no subscription check)
  • Bluetooth streaming
  • Google account sign-in and auto-restore of apps and settings
  • Google Wallet
  • Location Services (pretty fast GPS lock in my area also)
  • Photosphere
  • Android beam
  • Photo editing with the new filters
  • Email
  • Exchange support
  • Like I said, the normal stuff (data, voice, hardware acceleration, etc.)
  • More things that aren't important enough to mention here - check out the changelog for a more comprehensive list

Possible Bugs
It's impossible for me to test for and notice EVERY single possible bug in the operating system, so as of right now I can't say that there are any, although I'm sure you will find some. If you do, report them here!

Other IMPORTANT Information
Root
But wait, nothing in this post said anything about root!!!11!!1!1!!! That's right, my ROM does NOT have root built in! (I don't use any root apps, and it's important to the whole "OTA-like" theme). That being said, the ROM is easily rootable; I made sure of this because I know that many, many of you will use root for many useful purposes. If you want to root the ROM, it's as easy as installing Chainfire's new superuser control app/su with this ZIP file. More detailed information can be found in the "Installation Instructions" section. **NOTE** If you are rooted and upgrading to a new build, you should not have to reflash the rooting flashable ZIP because the ROM will keep root for you.

Updates
Now that the ROM has gotten to this stage, the update policy needs a bit of editing
smile.gif
Based on the stats I have access to from the website host and data that I collect myself, it seems like Shiny ROM is currently (as of May 27, 2014) stable for at least 80% of the users who have downloaded it. Based on this, and because the ROM is stock, Nexus-like, it doesn't really make sense to update the ROM as frequently as before. The ROM will still be updated as soon as possible after new versions of Android are released. In between Android versions, I will work on making things 100% stable, although that goal isn't always attainable with older devices and aging hardware support. If we decide to explore other paths for the ROM, you will see many more updates
smile.gif
If/when the time comes for me to stop updating Shiny ROM, I will let everyone know in a clear way.

Radios
This ROM will (most likely) work with any toro radios; however, I of course recommend using the most recent, Verizon-approved radios which are the FK01 and FK02 radios. My ZIP installation package for these radios can be downloaded here.

Bootloader
Once again, I'm assuming that this ROM will work with all tuna/toro bootloaders; BUT for optimal experience and performance, use the newest Google-approved bootloader, PRIMEMD04. My ZIP installation package for that bootloader can be downloaded here.

ClockworkMod Recovery
I personally recommend using ClockworkMod Recovery as it has always worked well for me with no quirks. Android 4.2 messed up a few aspects of recoveries because of its multi-user system. ClockworkMod Recovery has been updated to correct some of these issues, and I recommend updating to the most recent version, 6.0.4.3. You can flash either the touch recovery or non-touch recovery image through fastboot OR you can download my flashable recovery update ZIP (touch/non-touch) and flash it in recovery. Check out the installation instructions for more details on this.

Some Other Not-so-important Information
Naming Conventions
All of my ROM ZIP files are automatically generated by my build computer. The file name for all builds up to and including the 11/10/13 build always begins with baldwinguy77_toro_aosp so you know that it's my build for toro. All builds after 11/10/13 begin with the prefix ShinyROM_toro_aosp. That prefix is always followed by the date in mmddyy format (e.g. 112212), a hyphen ("-"), and the time in 24-hour, hhmmss format (e.g. 153945). Finally, all builds end with the "signed" suffix - it just helps me know which packages have finished building and which have not. Hopefully this helps everyone to know which update is newest; I stay away from version numbers because I let Google do all of the version control.

Source
In keeping with the spirit of open-source, all relevant Shiny ROM code can be viewed on Github. I'm not extremely experienced with Github, so bear with me as I learn! Thank you!

File Hosting
I've switched over from using Dev-host to a privately hosted site, graciously and generously given to me by RootzWiki user Goofball. Dev-host is still an amazing service, but it's much more convenient for me to use a privately hosted site, plus I get my own suburl and FTP access! HUGE thanks to Goofball, please check out his RootzWiki profile here! The private hosting will definitely help me deliver a better experience to you guys as far as downloading goes. You can view all of my uploaded, public files here: http://shinyrom.goofball.org/

Also, if anyone ever wants to mirror for me, please feel free so long as you keep the file name and the file itself intact. As for everyone who downloads from a posted mirror: BE CAREFUL! Always use a virus scanner and be careful with what you are putting on your device!

Installation Instructions (VERY IMPORTANT - Note: You can flash all of these ZIPs in CWM or TWRP*)
*Android 4.4 KitKat builds must be installed using the latest version of your preferred recovery!
ROM
1. Download the latest version of the ROM from the download post. (Also download any other files you will need to install, such as Chainfire's SuperSU Root ZIP, the radios installation ZIP, the bootloader installation ZIP, etc.)
2. Put the file(s) you downloaded in step 1 on your phone's internal storage (sdcard).
3. Turn off your phone.
4. Boot into the bootloader of the phone by holding down both volume buttons and the power button simultaneously until you feel a vibration and see a large arrow that says "Start".
5. Use the volume keys to change the arrow until it says "Recovery," then press the power button to boot into recovery.
6. Because of differences in recovery types, I will make the following steps rather generic.
7. Wipe cache.
8. Wipe dalvik cache.
9. If you want to be 100% sure there are no problems, wipe data. If you are coming from another ROM or Android version, wipe data. If you do not wipe data and something goes wrong, repeat this process but wipe data - this step is not necessary if you are simply upgrading.
10. If you are updating your radios, flash FK01_FK02_Radios-signed.zip
11. If you are updating your bootloader, flash PRIMEMD04-signed.zip
12. Flash the ROM (ShinyROM_toro_aosp...signed.zip)
13. If you are rooting, flash Chainfire's SuperSU ZIP file - this step is not necessary if you were rooted on the previous build and are simply upgrading.
14. Reboot your phone, and enjoy!

**Note: If you are simply upgrading to a new version of the ROM and want to keep root, follow the exact instructions above, and do not format /system. It really is not necessary to format /system at any time (unless specifically noted), as the ROM installer has this function built in.

Mods
1. Download the latest version of the mod(s) you wish to install from the download post.
2. Put the file(s) you downloaded in step 1 on your phone's internal storage (sdcard).
3. Turn off your phone.
4. Boot into the bootloader of the phone by holding down both volume buttons and the power button simultaneously until you feel a vibration and see a large arrow that says "Start".
5. Use the volume keys to change the arrow until it says "Recovery," then press the power button to boot into recovery.
6. Because of differences in recovery types, I will make the following steps rather generic.
7. Wipe cache.
8. Wipe dalvik cache.
9. Install the mod(s) you downloaded in step 1.
10. Fix permissions (not really necessary)
11. Reboot and enjoy!
**Note: You can remove all mods you've installed by dirty flashing the latest version of the ROM.

ClockworkMod Recovery (Fastboot method - must have an unlocked bootloader and fastboot in your path)
1. Download either the CWM touch recovery image or non-touch recovery image to your computer and rename it to "recovery.img".
2. Power off your phone.
3. Boot into the bootloader of the phone by holding down both volume buttons and the power button simultaneously until you feel a vibration and see a large arrow that says "Start".
4. Plug your phone into your computer using the standard USB cable.
5. Open the command prompt/terminal and navigate to the folder where your "recovery.img" is saved.
6. Type "fastboot devices" to make sure your phone is recognized; a serial number should show up on the screen.
7. Type "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" and wait for the process to complete (should be quick).
8. You're done! Use the volume keys to select "Recovery" and boot into your new recovery!

ClockworkMod Recovery (Flashable ZIP method - easier)
If you are updating your recovery before flashing a ROM, these steps should ALL be completed PRIOR to flashing the ROM.
1. Download either the touch recovery flashable ZIP or the non-touch recovery flashable ZIP.
2. Place the ZIP file downloaded in step 1 on your internal storage/sdcard.
3. Turn off your phone.
6. Choose "Install update from sdcard"
7. Select "Choose file from sdcard"
8. Find the flashable recovery ZIP file you downloaded and install it
9. Back up to the root menu of recovery
10. Select "advanced"
11. Select "reboot recovery"
12. The phone should boot up into your new recovery!

Credits
As with most ROMs, I only did a small part to get everything together. Also, a note that should be made here is that when I am using someone else's file, I ALWAYS host files on the shinyrom server to ensure that I don't put any unnecessary stress on their servers. Any file, however, still belongs to and is accredited to its original creator as listed below:
Willyjay - For providing us with lots of amazing and innovative mods for the ROM! Check out his RootzWiki profile here!
Inmanster - Another great modder who we are fortunate to have here in the thread. He works in collaboration with Willyjay and his mods for many things, but also does some of his own unique mods! Check them out in the download post and check out his RootzWiki profile!
Chainfire - For their SuperSU app and su binary, as well as the convenient ZIP update package, which was previously used and recommended. Check out their website, http://www.chainfire.eu/
Groupers - My new buddy on RootzWiki who helped me out with a GPS issue that popped up in 4.2. Check out his RootzWiki profile!
Google - Without their amazing staff and willingness to share the source code of their operating system, I wouldn't have been able to build this ROM! Of course, all of the Google apps are theirs, along with the Play Store and system apps. They really are the true owners of all of this.
Samsung - We all may have some mixed feelings about them, but in the end they gave us the amazing, hackable phone that is the Galaxy Nexus.
RootzWiki - Their extremely innovative and supportive community helps myself as well as hundreds of other developers and thousands of users to thrive, and exemplifies the heart and soul of Android.
Dev-Host - The file-sharing service with virtually no limits on sharing - kudos to them and their hard work. d-h.st
Koush and the ClockworkMod/ROM Manager Team - They make the best recovery that's been around for longest, and their constant updates allow us to keep making ROMs! Also, Koush's recently released open source Superuser control app is the best available and the one linked to in the thread. Thanks Koush! clockworkmod.com
Kevdliu - Huge thanks to this dev and their amazing quick settings mod! Please check out their thread here!
The CyanogenMod Team - For a working implementation of DSPManager on Android which can be ported to any AOSP-based ROM! Without them and Bigwavedave25, the DSP manager mod would not be available! Be sure to thank them and to check out the CyanogenMod website! Also, for their feature-filled version of the stock Messaging app which is available as a mod for my ROM!
bouchigo - a Rootzwiki user who has helped to make the CM10 Messaging app available as a mod for my ROM in conjunction with Willyjay for bringing it to my attention. Check out his Rootz profile and be sure to thank him!
Schoat333 - A Rootzwiki user who helped out Willyjay with the bubble styled MMS mods. The credit for the screenshots to go along with the mods goes to him! Check out his thread and his RW profile, and be sure to thank him!
Yarly - The most experienced RootzWiki admin I've ever had the pleasure of talking with, who taught me some new debugging tricks and answered some of my questions.
Razorloves - Another RootzWiki admin who helped me out with a few problems and answered a lot of my questions!
Tiny4579 - A kernel dev here on RootzWiki who also took the time to talk with me and answer a few of my questions. Be sure to check out his RootzWiki profile and his kernel thread for the GNex!

Thanks to everyone for their hard work and sharing that work with others!

DISCLAIMER
Come on guys, it's a Galaxy Nexus, to what extent could it really get messed up? Nonetheless, in case someone flashes this then puts their phone in the microwave or something and tries to blame it on me, I am not directly responsible for anything that occurs, either negative or positive, from flashing this ROM to your phone. Despite that, I am posting in the spirit of the Android community, a community that I have embraced and belonged to for several years, and I would never try to hurt any of your innocent, beautiful phones. Also, none of the original source for Android belongs to me, nor do any of Google's apps. All preinstalled applications are property of Google, Inc. and I make no claim of ownership to them.

Okay that's about it! THE ROM DOWNLOAD LINK AND A SUMMARY OF ALL FILE DOWNLOADS CAN BE FOUND BELOW!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
ROM Download & Changelog
ShinyROM_toro_aosp_080914-125720-signed.zip
MD5: 5844c6e48fb30bbafc976199c5c1effd

Fixes/Changes Included So Far

• 6/21/14 CHANGES
  • Updated to Android 4.4.4, build KTU84P
  • 8/9/14 CHANGES
  • Added system-side support for native screen casting
  • Added Italian translations for the Shiny restart menu (courtesy of XDA user lparcshinoda)
  • Switched to prebuilt version of CellBroadcastReceiver in an attempt to fix issues with it on toro

[hr]
Mods
Before installing any of the packages below, please be sure to check out the mod installation instructions in the OP!

Key
To make mod installation more convenient, all mod links will now be color-coded based on the files they change. The key shows what each color corresponds with:

Red - SystemUI.apk
Blue - framework-res.apk
Purple - SystemUI.apk & framework-res.apk
Green - Other

If you install mods that are in the same color group, it is likely that they will overwrite each other. It is OK to overwrite a previously installed mod, but please note that the originally installed mod will no longer be there. If you want to completely revert to stock, flash the "Back to Stock ZIP" mod under the baldwinguy77 mod section. This mod replaces your SystemUI.apk and framework-res.apk files with ones from the stock ROM.

Developer-specific Mods
All of these mods have been provided by some really awesome mod developers who take the time to continue to make updated mods for my newest ROM builds. That being said, they have lives and can't always get the mods out right away, so make sure the date next to their name matches the build you're running! They usually are around the thread and are open to doing custom mods if you ask :) Be sure to thank them and check out the credits section for more info!

Baldwinguy77 (Updated for 8/9/14 build)
Back to Stock ZIP - Returns you to the stock version of the ROM by removing SystemUI and framework-res mods.
Stock kernel flashable ZIP - Overwrites any custom kernel you have installed with the stock kernel normally packaged with the ROM.

Inmanster (Updated for 3/9/14 build)
36 DPI Nav. Bar - Replaces the stock navigation bar with a smaller (height-wise), 36 DPI version.
Black Dash-style Softkeys - Replaces the stock navigation bar buttons with black, dash-style ones.
Blue Stock Softkeys - Replaces the stock navigation bar buttons with blue-colored ones.
Carrier Text Replacement - Replaces the carrier text on the lockscreen and pulldown notification shade with "Galaxy Nexus".
Extended Battery Framework Mods - Improve accuracy of battery level reporting for those using extended batteries.

Grey Battery Percentage - Enables display of the current battery percentage in the status bar with grey-colored font.
InmanMod - A combination of the 2100 mAh battery, no CRT-off animation, carrier text, 36 DPI nav. bar, and white zenyth softkeys mods.
No CRT-off Animation - Removes the stock, default CRT-like screen off animation.
White Zenyth-style Softkeys - Replaces the stock navigation bar buttons with white, zenyth-style ones.

Universal Mods & Downloads
These mods have been compiled by myself, sometimes in conjunction with the modders above, to always work with any version of the ROM (but not necessarily any device). Therefore, you don't have to worry so much about these being up-to-date because they should always work. If that is ever not the case, simply PM me and we'll get it fixed :) This section also includes some other Verizon Galaxy Nexus related downloads such as the latest radios and bootloader. You can use these according to the installation instructions in the OP.

Universal Mods
AOSP Web Browser (for Android 4.4) - Installs the AOSP web browser with Chrome bookmark syncing for Android 4.4.
DSP Manager (for Android 4.4) - Installs the DSP Manager app along with the audio libs and configs important to running the service, allowing you to customize the audio equalizer of your device. At the moment, certain apps on Android 4.4 do not work with the modular DSP service.

ClockworkMod Images
Touch 6.0.4.3
Non-touch 6.0.4.3

ClockworkMod Recovery Flashable ZIPs
Touch 6.0.4.3
Non-touch 6.0.4.3

Chainfire's SuperSU Root Control App and ROOT Flashable ZIP (Works with 4.3 & 4.4)
Download (Latest version, v2.02)

Toro Radios
FK01 & FK02 Radios Flashable ZIP (Latest)
FF02 & FG02 Radios Flashable ZIP

Tuna Bootloaders
PRIMEMD04 Bootloader Flashable ZIP (Latest)
PRIMELC03 Bootloader Flashable ZIP

#2,436 · (Edited by Moderator)
[*]Please note that any and all mods marked for the 2/13/13 build WILL WORK with the 2/16/13 build
Right on, right on...

Maybe a placebo effect, but as mentioned above my phone seems to be running a bit smoother also. :)

#7 ·
This is exactly what I have been looking for. My company uses MobileIron which detects root and won't let you connect to exchange. I have always had to download custom ROMs and do my best to remove root which would break some stuff. It is hard to find custom ROMs that come unrooted.

Anyway, my question is do you plan to support the ROM for a while? I would love to give it a shot and potentially use it for good so I can just update and not ever need to worry about root. Do you generally update it whenever there is an update on AOSP? I'll be stuck with the Verizon nexus for a long while and would love this to be available for the long haul but I understand people move on from phones quick.

Thank you, looking forward to trying it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

#8 ·
Sorry but I am confused about the whole rom not rooted thing. After I install this ROM. If I install super su do I automatically have root again or is there a step I am missing. Thanks in advance for your help

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks for the comments and support everyone!

Just as davelm said you simply flash the root ZIP file that I link to in the OP. You'll want to install the ROM normally through recovery and immediately after install the root ZIP. Then, when you reboot, you should be rooted!

Just as a side note for everyone, you can actually flash the SuperSU root ZIP file at any time after installation and it should give you root.

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
Flash this .zip and you'll be rooted and have SuperSu installed all in one:

http://d-h.st/MZ8

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]If you want to root the ROM, it's as easy as installing Chainfire's SuperSU app/su with [/background]this ZIP file[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]. More detailed information can be found in the "Installation Instructions" section.[/background]

#14 ·
Of course Google had to ruin it with their 4.2 bugs lol. This ROM is perfect other than what Google needs to fix like the vibration bug in the stock email app. Where if you set the notification to never vibrate it vibrates anyway. Since I get hundreds of emails a day that kind of sucks.

#16 ·
Oh yes I noticed that bug also because I'm pretty sure it happens with all notifications. For example, in the GMail app even if you have vibration turned off the phone vibrates when I get an email. I think it has something to due with the global ringer settings actually...do you happen to have "Vibrate when ringing" checked in the sound settings? I think it might have to do with that. I'm going to look into it for sure. And as for your previous question, I didn't modify any of the volume settings but I could add in the one extra volume step; I just never thought to because my phone is on vibrate most of the time.

#23 ·
Having some difficulty downloading from filedropper on mobile, it immediately shows "download unsuccessful" after trying to initialize the transfer. Since there don't seem to be many changes, I'll just flash the older build from yesterday since it's already on my internal storage.

From reading the OP, I can say I definitely like what you're doing here!

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
Sorry about that!

Sorry to everyone about the bad download link! Dev-host is still down, but I tried another file hosting service and updated the link, so please try to download again! Here's the link again for convenience: http://www.sendspace.com/file/f1s0s9

Edit: New link is confirmed to be working, for now at least.

#28 ·
Thanks for the great rom! I'm just having one issue - even though I have the wifi set always stay on during sleep, I find that it still disconnects from wifi after a few minutes of the screen being off. I did a clean install, rebooted a few times, and have tried cycling the setting.
I also see a bit of lag when turning the screen on and off. This seems to be mentioned on all of the 4.2 roms, so its probably not a bug per se, but still thought I'd let you know.
Thanks again!

#32 ·
No problem! The screen on/off lag is definitely something universal in 4.2, but I'm still going to look into it to see if I can speed it up. As for the WiFi problem, Google added in a new setting in addition to the WiFi sleep one that was messing with things for me; go to the advanced WiFi settings, uncheck "Wi-fi optimization", reboot and see if that solves the problem at all.

#31 ·
Runs smooth, everything works. Random reboot x 2 so far. Once while play store was updating and once when I plugged the phone and turned the screen on to verify charging. I can work with this... Awesome build. Keep up the good work. Cant wait for future updates and stability.

#34 · (Edited by Moderator)
Rom has been really solid thus far, I have no issues whatsoever to report aside from the already known 4.2 quirks (thinking mostly of the power button lag).

I will say it seems like my mobile network signal seems to be weaker, however this is just going by the bars, not actually comparing dBm so take it FWIW. I've seen similar reports about the signal strength on toro with 4.2 but not much in the way of solid data.

Just FYI, I initially flashed this over muzzy's 4.2 build without wiping data and did run into a little wonkiness. Got a FC and it didn't quite "feel" right to me. I'm guessing it was since muzzy's build isn't entirely AOSP. Went with a clean install and it's been smooth sailing since! Thanks again baldwinguy77 for the super clean AOSP build!

Edit: Of course now that I post that I can't seem to get rid of this T-CDMA 64

#35 · (Edited by Moderator)
Uh oh lol seems like you jinxed yourself! I'll have a fix out for that tonight, along with a few other changes for stability.

Once I get all of the stability issues perfected, I'll start looking into the really low-level stuff to try to improve performance throughout the OS. As far as mobile data goes, I think it may just be an illusion, but if your actual network speeds have been affected I'll look into it. Just let me know!

#36 ·
My signal bars are much lower than they were on 4.1 but that has been the case for every 4.2 ROM I've tried so it isn't specific to this.

This is as smooth and stable as Bugless Beast was for me and without root by default it's perfect for me. I'll be sticking around as long as the ROM does.

#39 ·
Thanks again for all of the support guys! It really helps to see that people are liking the ROM and I definitely take all of your comments and suggestions into consideration when making changes. I just posted a new build with a few improvements. It includes the ERI fix so there should be no more T-CDMA 64 issues. I also reverted the I/O scheduler in the kernel to CFQ in hopes of increasing stability a bit. Because of that, I would really appreciate it if you guys could comment on any performance changes you see, if any.

As far as the cell signal concerns, I think you guys are correct in saying that it's not a "real" issue but rather just something visual. I can still try to revert it but probably won't unless it causes real connection problems. Enjoy and thanks again for the help and support!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.