Rate this Topic

57 votes

[ROM][AOSP](3/9/14) Shiny ROM: OTA-Like, Stock Android [4.4.2] [KVT49L]

• Please log in to reply

inmanster

inmanster

Electronics Enthusiast

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:04 AM #14081

Back against wall, wife started new job today, missing her work provided iPhone.

If she wants to go to ATT, then I'd have to get a N5 and buy it outright, or settle for the Sammy 5, but I hate touchwiz, and no one has stated when/if it will have a GP edition yet.

Other choice is to free upgrade her to iphone 4s and swap to a shared plan, ugh ....

Will be watching everything....

N5 is what I'm looking at. It's hard not to pull that trigger myself.

• 0 Likes

Check out all of my mods in this Box Folder
General Mods Folder

Modding Guides and Info - WIP

Spreadsheet to enter your GNex information to possibly help with data issues

RW-1

RW-1

Rotory Winged Droider

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:11 AM #14082

I don't necessarily care if I upgrade her for free on VZ, it will kill my unlimited data, but I'm on wifi all the time, maybe 2Gb use in total if that for a month.

I do care that I'd get locked into another 2 yr contract.

Thing is, I can do the above without paying for myself, stay on GNex.

to go to ATT, I have to buy the N5, AND her iphone of choice, though if we do the next series, etc it can be added.

The way they all have convoluted the process just sucks.

she's going to force me into a decision shortly, I just don't have $399 for the N5 ...

On those lines - with the latest announcement of no overage fees from tmob (was it tmob?) what a crock of $hit. Simply put you go over, it gets cut off, they didn't do you a favor.

*****Now here's my idea of a favor to all - ALL carriers announce new plans - no longer will you have to guess what you - will use each month - whether or not you will go over your limit ...

I call it the UTILITY PLAN - just like a utility - water - electricity - use all you want - we'll BILL you for what you ACTUALLY USED each month.

• 0 Likes

DroidRootz

DroidRootz

?

• 230 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:46 AM #14083

the Nexus 5 is tempting but it already feels like an old phone (and not on Verizion)

if I'm going to leave the Gnex I want something brand new, unlocked and easily rootable 

(I'm hoping to be able to continue using the mobile hotspot without paying them for it)

also, a Verizon rep told me that anyone on the unlimited data plan can get something called "Verizon Max" which gives you 6GB a month for the same price  

so if they could just come up with a new phone that I want I'm in... 

Edited by DroidRootz, Yesterday, 08:06 PM.

• 0 Likes

danv1369

danv1369

• 56 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:03 PM #14084

I bought a used screen, digitizer/LCD combo, off of eBay. The most difficult part was separating the bezel from the old screen. Half a dozen small screws and snap connectors holding down the circuit boards. 

Helped to find a good video on Youtube. 

It was pretty simple and quick. Then I was back up and running.  Now I just have to get through the rest of the year with it.  Maybe VZN will have a Nexus phone by then. Ha, right. So, likely Straight Talk.

Awesome thanks for the info. I have been checking out some auctions on ebay but keep getting out bid. I am cheap so that may have something to do with it lol.

• 0 Likes

mpressive

mpressive

• 21 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:50 PM #14085

I would like to upgrade my phone too
but I don't want a G2 or a HTC One or the S5

So I'm hoping the next best thing comes along soon

Shiny ROM is great and has really extended the life of the Gnex

I'm in the same boat. Trying to hang on but I want a phone that has an awesome community and support like Shiny and Baldwin.

Don't know where I would be if I didn't have this ROM. Glad I don't have to think about that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

• 2 Likes

dracon6ai

dracon6ai

Android Lover

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:45 PM #14086

On those lines - with the latest announcement of no overage fees from tmob (was it tmob?) what a crock of $hit. Simply put you go over, it gets cut off, they didn't do you a favor.

*****Now here's my idea of a favor to all - ALL carriers announce new plans - no longer will you have to guess what you - will use each month - whether or not you will go over your limit ...

I call it the UTILITY PLAN - just like a utility - water - electricity - use all you want - we'll BILL you for what you ACTUALLY USED each month.

Yes its t-mobile that's starting it but they don't necessarily just cut you off. If you hit your cap then they give you a noticed to either be cut off till next billing period or pay for more (no fees added, just paying for extra services) . They give you a choice is all. As is the other carriers will just instantly charge you extra for service + fees and keep adding it up if you keep going over.

***Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before one gets tired.***

• 0 Likes

mastertech007

mastertech007

Android Lover

• 120 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:36 AM #14087

I wanted to try fancy. I hear a lot of people on here using it and like the results they're getting from it. I downloaded fancy updater from the app store but it says I have an unsupported device. I am currently running Franco. What did I do wrong?

Edit: Downloaded and flashed the r50 zip from xda site. App still says unsupported device but r50 is running on the phone.

Shows the same thing on my GNex. I removed the app.

Sent from my GNex using Shiny 4.4.2 on TapaTalk

• 0 Likes

DroidDoes

DroidDoes

• 68 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:41 AM #14088

Seems like Fancy is becoming the preferred kernel for this ROM.  boype is actively developing the kernel and there is a large community built around it.  

I'm running the last version before he switched to anykernel2 and am only having a few random app kills here and there.  For the most part it's smooth but i'm not excited about having to dirty flash the rom before moving to r50 given the problems i have had in the past with retaining root. 

In other news boype has begun working with the team that is developing a 3.4 kernel for the Galaxy Nexus.  They have it booting and recognizing in ADB but can not get the display to initialize.  We may be close to a whole new world of Gnex development if the last remaining issues can be ironed out on the kernel side.  

Exciting times! 

• 2 Likes