* * * * -
1 votes

[ROM] [AOSP] [GCC4.8] ThunderKat | Nexus 10 | 4.4.4 | KTU84Q | 2014/08/24

• Please log in to reply

OP craigacgomez

craigacgomez

Android & Linux FTW!!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:15 PM #1

Donning a new name in favour of the new delicious version of Android... Welcome to the ThunderKat Project!!

bXT9PSX.png

This is my very own personally maintained custom ROM for the Nexus 10 (manta) called ThunderKat. It is an AOSP (Android Open Source Project) 4.4 ROM with a simple aim... add a few useful features to AOSP without deviating too much.

This new Android 4.4 based release is a complete re-work... I manually re-merged and re-developed each additional functionality added to this ROM. Each new release will feature a few new features or updates & bug fixes to existing features. Keeping each release small will allow me to test the ROM thoroughly and increase the frequency of releases.

I don't expect this to compete with the big boys (CyanogenMod, AOKP, Paranoid Android and the like) and this ROM will have a considerably limited feature-set compared to them. If you want a lot of customisations and configurations, they are definitely the way to go.

This ROM is accompanied by the latest & greatest ThunderKat Kernel at the time the ROM was built. For kernel features and additions, view the ThunderKat Kernel thread.

Changelog (notable new features):
2014/08/24:
1. Merged Android 4.4.4_r2.0.1 (KTU84Q)
2. Heads Up notifications based on the SlimRoms implementations
3. Switched to Superuser from CyanogenMod repositories (which is being updated more frequently than Koush's repositories)
4. Switched to SlimRoms vold (CyanogenMod vold had too many dependencies on CyanogenMods libselinux like cryptfs)
5. Switched to SlimRoms busybox (CyanogenMod busybox had too many dependencies on CyanogenMods libselinux)
6. Used Graphite optimized GCC4.8 toolchains to build the ROM and kernel
7. Added JustArchi's build optimization v3 (http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=2754997)
8. Updates to the various apps from OmniRom & CyanogenMod included
9. Fixed OTG USB storage filesystem mounting issues (tested with FAT32 & NTFS)
10. Updated kernel with ROW & SIO I/O schedulers and upstream F2FS changes
11. Fixed DevTools media scanner
12. Updated bionic tzdata to the latest IANA time zone (zoneinfo) database file version 2014f (released 2014/08/05)
13. Miscellaneous bug-fixes and enhancements (see GitHub commits)

2014/06/14:
1. Resynced all repositories (2014/06/14)
2. Temporarily revert/remove stagefright FFMPEG to fix the YouTube/Netflix video playback issues.

Spoiler

Download:

Archive [4.3.x] - Unsupported
Archive [4.2.x] - Unsupported

Google Apps Pack:
1. Built from de-odexed 4.4.4 KTU84Q Nexus factory image
2. Latest Play Store apps as of 2014/08/23

Download:

Source:

Tips & Tricks
Launcher replacements enhance your customisation capabilities. I recommend one of these amazing launcher replacement:
1. Action Launcher Pro by Chris Lacy
2. Apex Launcher by Android Does
3. Nova Launcher by TeslaCoil Software

Adware is often intrusive. If you wish to block adware and advertisements, I recommend AdAway by Dominik Schürmann.

Need to know what app or service is eating your battery? Try BetterBatteryStats by Sven Knispel

Freshen up your device with a variety of fonts using Fontster

You can get some more modifications and tweaks using the Xposed Framework and modules

Requirements:
1. Unlocked bootloader
2. Custom recovery like TWRP 2.7.0.0+ or CWM 6.0.4.7+

Instructions:
1. Wipe data/factory reset if you are moving from any ROM other than a previous version of ThunderKat
2. Wipe cache/dalvik cache for every update
3. Flash the ROM using a custom recovery
4. [Optional] Flash Google Apps Pack using a custom recovery. You can choose to install any other Android 4.4 compliant Google Apps Pack

Disclaimer:
I can make no guarantees that your experience with this ROM will be flawless. If you decide to flash this ROM, remember that you are doing so at your own discretion. I cannot and will not be held responsible if your jelly beans become rotten and your tablet decides implode. I will try to help you to the best of my ability, but beyond that, you stand alone behind enemy lines!! Have fun!!

ART Runtime Disclaimer:
ART is an the new Android Runtime which is being developed as a replacement to Dalvik. ART was introduced with Android 4.4 and is still an experimental feature. To switch to ART, go to Settings > Developer options > Select runtime and choose Use ART. Unlike Dalvik which is a JIT (just-in-time) compiler, ART is an AOT (ahead-of-time) compiler. Being an AOT compiler, ART will improve overall performance, but will increase the amount of space used by apps. Being an extremely experimental feature still in the early stages of development, ART can cause various issues like force closes, random restarts, boot loops or the like. While I have done some level to testing, I cannot guarantee that using ART will be a flawless experience for you. And be warned, I will not support any issues caused because of ART. I do not recommend using ART if stability and overall operational consistency is a requirement for you, or if you do not have experience with adb. If you wish to use ART, remember that you will not receive support from me. If you have any issues, please switch back to Dalvik and see if you still have the issue before reporting it.

Superuser vs. SuperSU
I have no personal issues with ChainsDD, and I appreciate and respect his contributions to Android. But I will never include SuperSU with any of my ROMs for one simple reason. SuperSU is closed-source. Superuser access allows unrestricted root level access to Android and I am not comfortable, nor do I ethically agree with using a closed-source software for this purpose. If I cannot see all the code which allows elevating access rights, I will not include that software. If you personally choose to use SuperSU or any other closed-source software of this nature, I will not support issues arising from the use of such software.

Having Issues?
If you are having issues, I will try my best to help you. But you need to provide me with some information so that I can narrow down the possible cause of the issue. What would be useful is logcats, dmesg logs & last_kmsg logs. Here's a nice wiki about how to get logs

Support this project:
If you like my work, buy me a beer so that I can pass time while my laptop churns out builds...
Google Wallet (Send Money to craigacgomez[at]gmail[dot]com)

Credits:
Google, Samsung, ARM, Goo.im, CyanogenMod, TeamWin, Koush, SlimRoms, OmniRom, AndroidFileHost

Edited by craigacgomez, 24 August 2014 - 01:15 PM.

• 4 Likes

shanerbaner82

shanerbaner82

• 21 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:53 PM #2

How did you unlock the bl and flash recovery?
  • 0 Likes

OP craigacgomez

craigacgomez

Android & Linux FTW!!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:40 PM #3

How did you unlock the bl and flash recovery?

Just like all nexus devices....
1. Reboot into bootloader (Power + Vol Up + Vol Down)
2. fastboot oem unlock
3. fastboot flash recovery custom_recovery.img
4. Profit!
  • 0 Likes

OP craigacgomez

craigacgomez

Android & Linux FTW!!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:51 PM #4

Added custom kernel with a few extra goodies... see OP for details!!!
  • 0 Likes

OP craigacgomez

craigacgomez

Android & Linux FTW!!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:13 PM #5

Updated ROM available in OP...

New in Nov 18 2012 Build:
1. Custom kernel (see "Kernel Features" in OP)
2. UNC patched busybox for CIFS. CIFS is now fully functional with the custom kernel
3. Power Menu controlled Extended desktop (credit CyanogenMod). Enable via Settings > Display.
4. WebView dream/screensaver

Also included stock kernel update zip for anyone who wants it.

Edited by craigacgomez, 18 November 2012 - 06:14 PM.

• 0 Likes

OP craigacgomez

craigacgomez

Android & Linux FTW!!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:56 PM #6

New release in OP... all the existing feature plus:

1. Excluded OpenWnn (Japanese keyboard), PinyinIME (Chinese keyboard), AOSP Music & AOSP QuickSearchBox from build
2. Rebuilt busybox with CyanogenMod config
3. Made busybox "mount" the default mount symlink for CIFS support (Removed toolbox "mount" symlink)
4. Only included stock ROM audio files
5. Fix Android 4.2 bug where December is missing from the Contacts Events date picker
6. Quick Setting mod (thanks to @kevdliu for the base code) [Source]
- Press to directly toggle WiFi and long press to access WiFi settings menu
- Press to directly toggle BT and long press to access BT settings menu
- Add Volume Tile (Press to display Media Volume slider and long press to access Volume settings menu)
- Add Screen Off Tile
- Add Clock (Press to access Clock settings menu) - added by me

Also updated the Google Apps Pack
- Fixed Setup wizard restore from Google account
- Google Current Deams

Edited by craigacgomez, 19 November 2012 - 10:53 PM.

• 2 Likes

OP craigacgomez

craigacgomez

Android & Linux FTW!!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:13 PM #7

Updated OP with new kernel and Google Apps Pack V2

New in Nov 20 2012 Kernel:
1. Fixed USB MTP detection
2. Enable adb by default

New in Nov 20 2012 Google Apps Pack V2:
1. Fixed Google Chrome settings FC
2. Fixed Restore from Google Account (worked for me!!)
3. Updated Play Store to 3.10.9
  • 0 Likes

OP craigacgomez

craigacgomez

Android & Linux FTW!!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:05 PM #8

Updated ROM in OP

New in Nov 20 2012 Build:
1. USB OTG support (Screenshot) [Important: Read "USB OTG Information" section in the OP]
2. Added all the stock ROM wallpapers

Edited by craigacgomez, 20 November 2012 - 08:09 PM.

• 1 Likes

Nitrogenus

Nitrogenus

Swagger > 9000

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:52 AM #9

Updated ROM in OP

New in Nov 20 2012 Build:
1. USB OTG support (Screenshot) [Important: Read "USB OTG Information" section in the OP]
2. Added all the stock ROM wallpapers

Thank you for your work on this. I have yet to do anything besides unlock, root, and flash CWM. I thought I would play first. That said, do you have any plans to add the CM color tuning option? Or, in the very least add to the kernel the ability to modify the settings? (Is that ability even kernel-related?) I think the display is gorgeous in certain areas, but in others the colors seemed washed. I think it may be my personal preference as I like lower gamma and higher contrast from my displays.
  • 0 Likes
HTC Droid Incredible - SkyRaider 4.3
Samsung Galaxy Nexus - AOKP JB M1

user997

user997

• 37 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:00 AM #10

So with DRM libraries services like Google Play video will work?
  • 0 Likes