- - - - -

4.2 /0 folder question

• Please log in to reply

OP Mikesevenfold

Mikesevenfold

Android Lover

• 138 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:09 AM #1

I just installed Jakeday's 4.2 ROM. When I went to restore my TiBu files it told me I had 0 apps backed up. Everything is in the /0 folder on my phone. When I went to locate the folder in ASTRO it now tells me I have 4 local storage locations when I used to only have one. The first local storage is empty and all my files are in the last two storages. How do I move everything safely back into local storage 1 using just my phone and not a computer? Thanks.
  • 0 Likes

bouchigo

bouchigo

Android Enthusiast

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:47 AM #2

I just installed Jakeday's 4.2 ROM. When I went to restore my TiBu files it told me I had 0 apps backed up. Everything is in the /0 folder on my phone. When I went to locate the folder in ASTRO it now tells me I have 4 local storage locations when I used to only have one. The first local storage is empty and all my files are in the last two storages. How do I move everything safely back into local storage 1 using just my phone and not a computer? Thanks.

http://rootzwiki.com...2/#entry1024758
  • 0 Likes

Current Phone: LG G2 - Self-built Shadow Rom kk-4.4.2

Current Tablet(s):  Nexus 7 16GB (2012) - CM10.1.3, Nexus 7 32GB (2013) Stock, rooted, and unlocked

Retired Phone(s):  Droid X, Galaxy Nexus, SGS3

Retired Tablet(s):  HP Touchpad

GatorsUF

GatorsUF

Android Beginner

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:12 PM #3

So I assume everyone who has tried 4.2 noticed that your SDcard contents were moved into a folder named "0". This I assume will be the new norm because of multiple users in 4.2 (even though its not available on phones..)

- Should we move everything all of our contents out of the "0" folder? (Titanium Backup, TWRP/CWM, App data) so that they are found by their respective apps?

-Should we keep all the files in the "0" folder for now and just move what we NEED until the apps update to locating items in their respective folders?

-If we move items out of "0" to root, will the items in root be deleted during a factory reset? Or will items in "0" be deleted? Or neither?

I know we are all new to this, but figured maybe a dev on here has done some research already.
  • 0 Likes

tiny4579

tiny4579

Kernel Hacker

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:17 PM #4

It's weird, but I'm using mmuzzy's ROM from xda and I started from CM10. Did a factory reset and wiped system in TWRP then flashed the ROM without a second wipe. I didn't get a 0 folder in /sdcard but I do have a /data/media/0 folder. I'd refrain from doing factory resets on 4.2 for now as a new factory reset could move everything into the 0 folder, even the contents of the 0 folder.
  • 0 Likes

trebills

trebills

Schmaticum

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:24 PM #5

It's weird, but I'm using mmuzzy's ROM from xda and I started from CM10. Did a factory reset and wiped system in TWRP then flashed the ROM without a second wipe. I didn't get a 0 folder in /sdcard but I do have a /data/media/0 folder. I'd refrain from doing factory resets on 4.2 for now as a new factory reset could move everything into the 0 folder, even the contents of the 0 folder.

I also installed mmuzzys and there is no '0' folder when I'm in root explorer or connected to PC via mtp, however, when I'm in cwm recovery it shows everything in sdcard/0. Not sure why

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Edited by trebills, 15 November 2012 - 12:24 PM.

• 0 Likes
Wonder what ROM to use? Check out ROM comparison spreadsheet here, it's the bees knees.

nunyazz

nunyazz

Gureaux...

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:25 PM #6

http://rootzwiki.com...older-question/
  • 0 Likes

craigacgomez

craigacgomez

Android & Linux FTW!!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:44 PM #7

To support multi-user capabilities this will be the norm... for each user, there will be a sequentially numbered folder in /data/media (/data/media/0, /data/media/10)...

And for each user, within Android, this will be symlinked to /sdcard & /storage/sdcard0... for user 1, /sdcard = /storage/sdcard0 = /data/media/10... for user 2, /sdcard = /storage/sdcard0 = /data/media/1...

These are emulated storage points... /data/media/0 = /storage/emulated/0, /data/media/1 = /storage/emulated/1

Without root access, each user will just see /sdcard/ and will not be able to access the other emulated storage points...

In the recovery mode, however, /sdcard is mapped to /data/media which is why you need to navigate to the "0" folder to see your files!

Edited by craigacgomez, 18 December 2012 - 12:06 PM.

• 6 Likes

codesplice

codesplice

Good at breaking things

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:51 PM #8

To support multi-user capabilities this will be the norm... for each user, there will be a sequentially numbered folder in /data/media (/data/media/0, /data/media/1)...

And for each user, within Android, this will be symlinked to /sdcard & /storage/sdcard0... for user 1, /sdcard = /storage/sdcard0 = /data/media/0... for user 2, /sdcard = /storage/sdcard0 = /data/media/0...

These are emulated storage points... /data/media/0 = /storage/emulated/0, /data/media/1 = /storage/emulated/1

Without root access, each user will just see /sdcard/ and will not be able to access the other emulated storage points...

In the recovery mode, however, /sdcard is mapped to /data/media which is why you need to navigate to the "0" folder to see your files!

Very good, concise explanation on this. Thanks :)
  • 0 Likes

GatorsUF

GatorsUF

Android Beginner

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:59 PM #9

Thanks for the explanation!

So if I understand correctly, we shouldn't move anything from the "0" folder because it will basically be the root folder for us. However we may need to navigate to it for nandroid backups (until cwm/twrp fix this). However apps and such will see "0" as our root folder. Correct?

That said is it safe to do a factory reset with the current versions of twrp/cwm if you are already on a 4.2 rom with current structure?
  • 0 Likes

tiny4579

tiny4579

Kernel Hacker

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:21 PM #10

Thanks for the explanation!

So if I understand correctly, we shouldn't move anything from the "0" folder because it will basically be the root folder for us. However we may need to navigate to it for nandroid backups (until cwm/twrp fix this). However apps and such will see "0" as our root folder. Correct?

That said is it safe to do a factory reset with the current versions of twrp/cwm if you are already on a 4.2 rom with current structure?

I heard that creates a second 0 folder inside of 0 by moving the folders in the root of sdcard to 0. I could be wrong but I think I noticed that on my N7 by wiping after flashing 4.2.
  • 0 Likes