Rate this Topic

- - - - -

Which Tablet?

• Please log in to reply

Mustang302LX

Mustang302LX

Android Guru

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:06 AM #11

My next 'tablet' will be running windows rt. But if you want an Android tablet, I still like the Asus Transformer Infinity (personal opinion)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

Good luck with that....Guess your tablet won't be liquidsmooth then...lol :P
  • 1 Likes

OP Brian G

Brian G

• 95 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:08 PM #12

So, what's really the downfall of the Nexus 10 besides the no sdcard slot? It seems to trounce any other tablet in the same price/size range except for that.
  • 0 Likes

number5toad

number5toad

Android Androgyne

• 773 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:53 PM #13

the earliest reviews were somewhat less than sterling regarding performance - pretty much every one I read mentioned lag, stuttering, and slower than expected app loading. however, that was all pre-release, so it's entirely possible all of that got fixed already.

that said, the only real drawback based on your criteria is no SD slot - and like some people already mentioned, you can run Stickmount and use USB drives (or a USB card reader with an SD card, if you're dedicated to cards over sticks) to expand the memory as much as you want.

personally I think 10" tablets are just too big - I've been a 7" convert since I got a Kindle Fire for xmas last year, and I love my N7 so much I think about abandoning my family and running off to Bora Bora with it pretty much every day. but that's just me.
  • 0 Likes

Mustang302LX

Mustang302LX

Android Guru

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:08 PM #14

the earliest reviews were somewhat less than sterling regarding performance - pretty much every one I read mentioned lag, stuttering, and slower than expected app loading. however, that was all pre-release, so it's entirely possible all of that got fixed already.

that said, the only real drawback based on your criteria is no SD slot - and like some people already mentioned, you can run Stickmount and use USB drives (or a USB card reader with an SD card, if you're dedicated to cards over sticks) to expand the memory as much as you want.

personally I think 10" tablets are just too big - I've been a 7" convert since I got a Kindle Fire for xmas last year, and I love my N7 so much I think about abandoning my family and running off to Bora Bora with it pretty much every day. but that's just me.

Yeah part of my wants a Nexus 10 but then I use my Nexus 7 and realize how much I love the size of it over the 10 inch tablets I've owned. The other thing that prevents me from jumping to a Nexus 10 is the fact Android apps are still not good on that size tablet like they should and could be. On the Nexus 7 apps look great IMO. The 32GB Nexus 7 is a winner for me but others will want the resolution of the Nexus 10. To me that's all good but I still don't really want a 10 inch tablet.
  • 1 Likes

OP Brian G

Brian G

• 95 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:35 PM #15

How big of a drive can you support using the Dongle? Can you read a terabyte drive? Or is it limited more like 32/64?
  • 0 Likes

yarly

yarly

Just a noob that doesn't know what he's talking about

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:20 AM #16

Good luck with that....Guess your tablet won't be liquidsmooth then...lol :P

It's a nice tablet...other than the fact you still can't run unsigned binaries (and self signing does not work for native apps) and drivers outside the realm of .net + html5 stuff (which is what is mostly on the Microsoft Store). I had one and tried to get around it for around two weeks through kernel debugging, messing around with the efi firmware, etc. Means no third party browsers, no x264 playback, no flac playback, no vlc player, etc.

I'd take one if it could, otherwise, I'll eventually bored with it if all im limited to sideloading and compiling are .net and metro (html5) apps. I run windows probably 60% of the time as my main desktop and KDE/Debian Linux the other 40% (KDE being the equivalent mostly to Windows Desktop on Linux).

Average person might like the full MS Office coming on it and still maintaining some Windows stuff like remote desktop working well, network drives and the seamless integration between Win8 on the pc as well as xbox integration. That plus the battery life is as good as an ipad (9+ hours when I tried it). The keyboard integration and a full USB port + mini hdmi port + sdcard port are also nice for plugging in whatever you want, including external drives, phones to charge and printers. Overall, it mostly depends on what one wants it for though.
  • 1 Likes

JBirdVegas

JBirdVegas

java code monkey

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:48 PM #17

For development this says it all.

-Nexus 10 is now the best choice for AOSP work on 4.2. Everything
except the GPU code is Open Source, and the only proprietary binaries
besides the GPU libraries are firmware files that get loaded into the
various peripheral chips. No flagship device so far has been so open,
and no flagship device so far has had that level of AOSP support at
launch.

Via the man himself JBQ @ https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/android-building/-ymcoMuDAbA

Edited by JBirdVegas, 24 November 2012 - 05:49 PM.

• 0 Likes

Show Your appreciation by clicking Thanks!

I co-maintain the droid2 branch of CyanogenMod, n00bware founder and lead developer and a developer for AOKP
my icon is custom artwork from ThaPHLASH

JBirdVegas

JBirdVegas

java code monkey

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:56 PM #18

@Yarley I told you tablets and computers would merge. :P #win8

Edited by JBirdVegas, 24 November 2012 - 05:56 PM.

• 0 Likes

Show Your appreciation by clicking Thanks!

I co-maintain the droid2 branch of CyanogenMod, n00bware founder and lead developer and a developer for AOKP
my icon is custom artwork from ThaPHLASH

yarly

yarly

Just a noob that doesn't know what he's talking about

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:28 PM #19

@Yarley I told you tablets and computers would merge. :P #win8

The start menu before removing it on Windows 8 also sucks unless you have a tablet.
  • 1 Likes

TwinShadow

TwinShadow

The Shadow within Android

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:57 PM #20

Start menu? In Windows 8? What's that.. =P

Ok, jokes aside, many say the Nexus 7/10. Nexus devices do not have SD cards and I doubt any ever will now due to Google's statement with multi-user support and the FAT32 permission settings (or lack thereof). Nexus 7 is a real good choice if you need something cheap, reliable quality, and a real good screen size for most user's hands. It was a perfect size for me and I'm glad I got mine.

If you need a bigger screen, you can go for the Nexus 10 if you wish, both devices will have very good development for years to come. If you want something that isn't a Nexus, I'd say look at the ASUS Transformer line. They are about as close to stock as you can get with just a little bit of soft mods from ASUS themselves. Otherwise, its pretty bare-bone stock with a little bit of bloatware. I like the original Transformer tablet quite a bit (still waiting for JB..), just the screen size isn't quite for me where-as the Nexus 7 was just downright perfect. And being it is also ASUS, that sealed the deal for me.

So, take your pick. All of the devices there have good development support, so choosing based on what you need should be a little easier. I believe the ASUS Transformer tablets have and SD card slot, otherwise, like mentioned before, an OTG cable should be enough and a SD card reader should be fine if you need the extra storage. I don't know the highest count supported, but I assume either 32 GB or maybe even up to 64 GB.
  • 0 Likes
Posted Image