- - - - -

[HELP] Everything's Broken!

• Please log in to reply

OP andoird213

andoird213

Android Lover

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:02 PM #1

Hi all,

So yesterday I compiled my own 4.2 build for toro. No problems there. When all was said and done, there weren't any real working Gapps packages (at that time, anyway) so I decided to take my chances and flash the leaked 4.2 one (which was reported not working) and see what happened. I was expecting it not to work, which is why I backed up in TiBu and in TWRP. All else fails, restore, right? So went ahead and did it, and as expected, force close galore on the Gapps till it went in to a bootloop. So disappointed, but still ok. So I go to boot in to recovery and restore my backup, and guess what isn't there... TWRP! Now stock recovery has somehow been installed. Ok...this sucks. BUT there's ADB! Adb pull my TiBu folder and my TWRP Backup and then restore to stock, install TWRP, push files, and all is dandy. So boot in to fastboot mode, and I get this lovely little thing! "Fastboot Command Read Error -2147483647" No commands work, adb or fastboot. So I have no custom recovery, no bootable ROM, and no adb or fastboot. Now I've gotten myself out of similar situations, but I only when I have a combination of two of the above not all 3. I see no doors, no options. They say Nexi are unbrickable...here's to that! Please someone help!!
  • 0 Likes
There Are Only 10 Types of People in This World: Those Who Understand Binary, and Those Who Don't

mentose457

mentose457

Typical Interwebz Troll

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:08 PM #2

There is always ODIN.

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1827685

Edited by mentose457, 14 November 2012 - 03:11 PM.

• 0 Likes

OP andoird213

andoird213

Android Lover

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:56 PM #3

There is always ODIN.

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1827685

If my device isn't being read properly for adb or fast boot, wouldn't the same problem arise with ODIN?

Sent from my Nexus 7
  • 0 Likes
There Are Only 10 Types of People in This World: Those Who Understand Binary, and Those Who Don't

wigsplittinhatchet

wigsplittinhatchet

Android Master

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:37 PM #4

Try updating the SDK or reinstall your drivers. Also are you using Linux or windows

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using RootzWiki
  • 0 Likes

OP andoird213

andoird213

Android Lover

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:36 PM #5

Try updating the SDK or reinstall your drivers. Also are you using Linux or windows

Linux. No drivers. And already updated SDK
  • 0 Likes

altimax98

altimax98

Android Junkie

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:37 PM #6

I know this is dumb but have you tried a different USB port?
  • 0 Likes
Hit Me Up @ - altimax98@gmail.com Follow me - @altimax98 & on Google+ https://plus.google....483029134/posts
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

terryrook

terryrook

CELL TECH

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:27 PM #7

Linux. No drivers. And already updated SDK

still broke,?

• 0 Likes
ASPIRING DEVELOPER BUT STILL LEARNING- Does your mom still have to tell you to wipe? THEN WHY SHOULD WE?
My name is Terry, and I am a Flashaholic, and I also like bacon, long walks on the beach, and The Departed...that's it.
I'VE SOFT BRICKED MORE DROID'S THAN I CARE TO REMEMBER SO IF YOU NEED HELP, HIT ME UP, THEN AGAIN....
ROM OF CHOICE: BEANS TOWN!!!

OP andoird213

andoird213

Android Lover

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:03 AM #8

still broke,?

Yes

I know this is dumb but have you tried a different USB port?

Yep, my PC has 3 and I tried all 3
  • 0 Likes

00negative

00negative

Average Android

• 377 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:29 AM #9

If my device isn't being read properly for adb or fast boot, wouldn't the same problem arise with ODIN?

Sent from my Nexus 7

Does adb show your device when it's connected? Couldn't tell since you said that it isn't being read properly.

Does it show your device if you type ddms in Linux terminal. It will show you debug info.
  • 0 Likes

codesplice

codesplice

Good at breaking things

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:13 AM #10

Hi all,

So yesterday I compiled my own 4.2 build for toro. No problems there. When all was said and done, there weren't any real working Gapps packages (at that time, anyway) so I decided to take my chances and flash the leaked 4.2 one (which was reported not working) and see what happened. I was expecting it not to work, which is why I backed up in TiBu and in TWRP. All else fails, restore, right? So went ahead and did it, and as expected, force close galore on the Gapps till it went in to a bootloop. So disappointed, but still ok. So I go to boot in to recovery and restore my backup, and guess what isn't there... TWRP! Now stock recovery has somehow been installed. Ok...this sucks. BUT there's ADB! Adb pull my TiBu folder and my TWRP Backup and then restore to stock, install TWRP, push files, and all is dandy. So boot in to fastboot mode, and I get this lovely little thing! "Fastboot Command Read Error -2147483647" No commands work, adb or fastboot. So I have no custom recovery, no bootable ROM, and no adb or fastboot. Now I've gotten myself out of similar situations, but I only when I have a combination of two of the above not all 3. I see no doors, no options. They say Nexi are unbrickable...here's to that! Please someone help!!

Unless you've altered your build environment to avoid it, AOSP builds will by default include all filesystems (including recovery). Additionally, stock builds will create two files (/system/recovery-from-boot.p and /system/etc/install-recovery.sh) which will reflash the stock recovery on every boot. Unless you modify your build environment to omit the recovery, I'd recommend that you keep a flashable .zip of your recovery on your "sdcard". Then (1) flash your build, (2) reflash your recovery (for good measure), (3) delete those two files using TWRP's file manager (you'll have to mount /system first), and (4) reboot. This should avoid this problem in the future...

For now, I also had some screwy stuff happen with fastboot yesterday. As was suggested, check ddms to see if Linux is correctly detecting your device. Try using a different USB cable if possible - not all are created equally. Also reboot both your Linux machine and your Android device (for good measure) - this actually seems to have solved the issue for me yesterday.

If all else fails, Odin may be an option but you'd need Windows to pull that off - though really, trying a different OS with a different set of drivers may not be a bad idea at all.

Good luck!

PS - let me know if you've run across a good working 4.2 GApps package to use on AOSP builds :)

Edited by codesplice, 15 November 2012 - 09:14 AM.

• 0 Likes