Rate this Topic

- - - - -

How to install Android 4.2 Gapps on the HP TouchPad Running CM10

• Please log in to reply

OP RolandDeschain79

RolandDeschain79

Android Adventurer

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:27 PM #11

Update! Ok so i've made and tested my own "Rolands Lite JB-4.2-Gapps-Extras-signed.zip" It's 118MB in size. I have removed all the stuff that was not working properly, for me... I now have 35.58MB out of 402MB free instead of 0.00 :tongue2: My battery drain seems down a bit too. Everything runs smoother and I don't get anymore of those this has stopped working messages. F.Y.I I found out that I can run flash YouTube videos in the dolphin browser if I double tap the video after starting it.

Removed:
Google Search
Google Chrome
4.2 Launcher
Google Now
Google wallet
Google talk

Added:
Updated Keyboard (posted by litdroid)
Updated play music (GooglePlayMusic BLACK THEMED by x3reme85)

Rolands Lite JB-4.2-Gapps-Extras-signed.zip 118MB Download:

http://www.mediafire...dqbw748u696rz13

Tell me what you think?!

Edited by RolandDeschain79, 11 November 2012 - 10:38 PM.

• 0 Likes

amkaos

amkaos

• 16 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:28 PM #12

i installed jcsullins 1204 update.. no matter how i tried to fix gapps, nothing helped... got many other app errors in general..youtube etc..

i found update-Rolands-Lite-V3-JB-4.2-Gapps-Extras-signed.zip and flashed it...

fixed every app that complained... and gave me the play store..

thanx very much..also, i like your vids
  • 1 Likes

cyberspacer

cyberspacer

Average Android

• 1 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:20 PM #13

Update! Ok so i've made and tested my own "Rolands Lite JB-4.2-Gapps-Extras-signed.zip" It's 118MB in size. I have removed all the stuff that was not working properly, for me...

<snip>

http://www.mediafire...dqbw748u696rz13

Tell me what you think?!

Hi there: I appreciate all the work you guys are putting into this project! I have been trying to run Mod 10 on my touchpad. With Mod 9, I wasn't able to get the calendars to sync correctly. So I blew the whole thing away and installed jcsullins's 12/16 image and your Gapps collection. I thought I was in Jelly Bean nirvana - even managed to get Flash working on the stock browser.

However, just realized that I keep getting "youtube has stopped working" error over and over. I reflashed the 118MB one above and still have the same issue. I managed to get an older version of youtube working by downloading the apk file for it (the version released in Nov 12).

Strangely, I didn't have any issues with the search or any other apps in the update-Rolands-Lite-V3-JB-4.2-Gapps-Extras-signed.zip. I am going to flash that back again and hope for the best!

thanks so much again!
  • 0 Likes

nevertells

nevertells

Android Guru

• 4,695 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:30 PM #14

Hi there: I appreciate all the work you guys are putting into this project! I have been trying to run Mod 10 on my touchpad. With Mod 9, I wasn't able to get the calendars to sync correctly. So I blew the whole thing away and installed jcsullins's 12/16 image and your Gapps collection. I thought I was in Jelly Bean nirvana - even managed to get Flash working on the stock browser.

However, just realized that I keep getting "youtube has stopped working" error over and over. I reflashed the 118MB one above and still have the same issue. I managed to get an older version of youtube working by downloading the apk file for it (the version released in Nov 12).

Strangely, I didn't have any issues with the search or any other apps in the update-Rolands-Lite-V3-JB-4.2-Gapps-Extras-signed.zip. I am going to flash that back again and hope for the best!

thanks so much again!

You need to start over and only use the gapps for CM10 not CM10.1. which is gapps-jb-20121011.zip. Developer J.C. Sullins has requested that you only use the gapps created for Jelly Bean 4.1. Using anything else causes problems like you are having and will not be supported when it comes to chasing bugs.
  • 2 Likes

c000

c000

• 52 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:44 PM #15

hi, i know this is an old topic but i'm wondering if you could make a 'lite' version for us cm9 users? (unless one already exists somewhere else?)
  • 0 Likes

nevertells

nevertells

Android Guru

• 4,695 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:39 AM #16

hi, i know this is an old topic but i'm wondering if you could make a 'lite' version for us cm9 users? (unless one already exists somewhere else?)

What exactly by "lite" do you mean? Gapps is created by Google with the Google apps they deem appropriate and optimized for a particular version of Android.
  • 0 Likes

c000

c000

• 52 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:26 AM #17

did you bother to read the first post?

"So here is my own "Rolands Lite JB-4.2-Gapps-Extras-signed.zip" It's 98MB in size. I have removed all the stuff that was unnecessary for the HP TouchPad."

i was asking him if there was something similar he could do for cm9 people, or does the one from here http://goo.im/gapps have the same unnecessary stuff removed
  • 0 Likes

OP RolandDeschain79

RolandDeschain79

Android Adventurer

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:24 AM #18

did you bother to read the first post?

"So here is my own "Rolands Lite JB-4.2-Gapps-Extras-signed.zip" It's 98MB in size. I have removed all the stuff that was unnecessary for the HP TouchPad."

i was asking him if there was something similar he could do for cm9 people, or does the one from here http://goo.im/gapps have the same unnecessary stuff removed

Well the reason for the Lite JB 4.2 package had to do with a partition size limitation of 400MB. People were installing the full packages and running out of system space, this may have resulted in random rebooting and parts of Gapps not being installed properly. Since I made a video telling people about this package I had to do something about Touchpads being messed up because of it :blush: . So I removed some of the apps and files to make the package smaller.

A custom package is unnecessary for CM9 since partition size problems weren't an issue till CM10 came along. If you want you could customize the package yourself by removing apps and optional extras like face lock. You can also manually remove bloat files like the ones listed below in the the how to free up system storage blurb. Gradular also has a fantastic guide if you want to customize the size of your partitions, have a look at the link below.

How to free up System Storage space with CM9/10(Optional):
I believe I have located about 15.89MB of data we can safely delete. Android in space videos and Phone Ring tones are located @
root/system/media/videos & root/system/media/audio/ring tones.

X-plore File Manager, use this app to delete the files:

Note* X-plore needs to be given Root Permissions by clicking the 3 dots in the corner and choosing configuration. Here check your Root Access settings. SuperUser + Mount Writable, this is what it should say. Next you may need to reboot before it takes effect.

How to guide for changing your system, data, and cache partition sizes(Optional): (Gradular)

Edited by RolandDeschain79, 20 July 2013 - 07:37 AM.

• 1 Likes

nevertells

nevertells

Android Guru

• 4,695 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:18 PM #19

What exactly by "lite" do you mean? Gapps is created by Google with the Google apps they deem appropriate and optimized for a particular version of Android.

It's obvious you don't have a clue what a "lite" version of Gapps is or why it was created. Why would you ask for him to create a "lite" gapps for CM9 and not mention what parts need to be removed to lighten it up? You should thank Roland for taking the time to explain it for you.
  • 0 Likes

pbz

pbz

Average Android

• 2 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:33 PM #20

Hi,

I am confused about what features the different builds have.  For instance, what is a Data Media build? How to install Android 4.4.2 Data Media builds on the HP TouchPad 

I'm finally ready to upgrade my CM9 HP TouchPad to the latest version available that has everything working.  I seem to have everything working on the 4.0.4 version that's currently installed, Build number cm_tenderloin_userdebug4.0.4 1MM76Leng.20121007.060740 test-keys.

But every time I try to find the newest version that still has everything working, it seems that they all have something that doesn't work, be it bluetooth, the camera, audio, video, or whatever.

I would like to keep Skype functional if possible, though I seldom use it. And I use bluetooth to connect to my headset to listen to audiobooks, so that is absolutely essential (audio too, for that matter). 

Can you recommend an Android version for me?

Thanks for your time, and your excellent and interesting work!  I'd love to try the newest stuff, but don't want to lose functionality.  My build has gotten somewhat corrupted, so I need to do something soon.

• 0 Likes